Had my gun safe moved today..

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
82echo
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Had my gun safe moved today..

Post by 82echo »

I used the same outfit that originally installed it. While he was working on unbolting it from the floor, I asked him how hard is it to get into, say if the owner forgot the combo. He smiled and said he's had to do that a couple of times. Seems it takes some serious industrial tools and cutters, plus a lot of time. Asked how much time and he said a better part of a day. And, make a LOT of noise. Said hopefully a neighbor would notice.

Just thought I post this out there for interest.

morfeeis

Re: Had my gun safe moved today..

Post by morfeeis »

what safe and what safe company? heard safe city is awesome...
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I had Jesse at Safe City move my safe when I moved. He did a great job and the price was very reasonable. I highly recommend him.
Quake_Guy

Post by Quake_Guy »

Jesse is a good guy at Safe City, recommend.

As far as safe security, commercial gun safes are almost entirely rated RSC. Good thing, crooks who are smart enough to crack a safe in 15 minutes don't go after a gun collection that would net them $20k best case after fencing it.

Residential Security Container (RSC):
U.L. Residential Security Container rating (RSC) - This UL rating is based on testing conducted for a net working time of five minutes, on all sides, with a range of tools. Underwriters Lab conducts the test and provides certification to the safe manufacturers. See U.L. TL-15 and TL-30 descriptions below for "net working time" description.

Burglary Classification Residential Security Container (RSC) signifies a combination or keylocked unit designed to offer protection against entry by common mechanical tools. Performance tests are conducted against the entire unit. The basic standard used to investigate in this category is UL 1037, "Anti theft Alarms and Devices.

An Anti-theft device, as defined by Paragraph 1.3, shall resist at least 5 minutes of attack that would defeat its purpose.
Any disassembly of the protected property required to make it removable, is to be included in the 5 minutes of attack test.
The tools used in the test are to include hammers, chisels, adjustable wrenches, pry bars, punches and screwdrivers. The hammers are not to exceed 3 pounds in head weight, and no tool is to exceed 18 inches in length.
The product under test is to be mounted securely in its intended position, and the attack is to be carried out by one operator.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Unless you own some super older bank safe it w6ou'd take just a few minutes to cut a hole big enough to get guns out. How you mounted it makes a huge difference. The tops and backs of most safes can be cut into quickly with simple battery powered drills and sawsalls. Getting to that area is probably more time consuming than getting thru it, if you properly mounted it to be a big pain in the ars to get to that area. Look this up online. Ignore the propaganda videos of old men wearing themselves out trying to get thru the front. Pay attention to the weaknesses and mount accordingly.

Only crack heads or tweakers would try to attack it from the front. The big danger is from half way intelligent crooks returning later to properly make the attempt.

Again how you mount it is important. Also you need dogs or alarms or cameras, anything to make them know their time in your home is limited.

Protected by your favorite gun brand signs arent examples of these things. They are notices to plan better and comeback later, except for tweakers and crack heads. Their reasoning skills are limited at best.

Time limiting is important. Like was mentioned, its risk reward kinda thing. Most door kickers wont stay long enough to get in a safe if the alarm is screaming or dogs are going crazy. Tweakers are less dependable in this area. Who knows what they will do. Police dont catch the smart ones.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Crippledtrigger wrote: December 14th, 2018, 6:28 am Unless you own some super older bank safe it w6ou'd take just a few minutes to cut a hole big enough to get guns out. How you mounted it makes a huge difference. The tops and backs of most safes can be cut into quickly with simple battery powered drills and sawsalls. Getting to that area is probably more time consuming than getting thru it, if you properly mounted it to be a big pain in the ars to get to that area. Look this up online. Ignore the propaganda videos of old men wearing themselves out trying to get thru the front. Pay attention to the weaknesses and mount accordingly.

Only crack heads or tweakers would try to attack it from the front. The big danger is from half way intelligent crooks returning later to properly make the attempt.

Again how you mount it is important. Also you need dogs or alarms or cameras, anything to make them know their time in your home is limited.

Protected by your favorite gun brand signs arent examples of these things. They are notices to plan better and comeback later, except for tweakers and crack heads. Their reasoning skills are limited at best.

Time limiting is important. Like was mentioned, its risk reward kinda thing. Most door kickers wont stay long enough to get in a safe if the alarm is screaming or dogs are going crazy. Tweakers are less dependable in this area. Who knows what they will do. Police dont catch the smart ones.
DAM, I feel like I'm inside the head of a tweaker now....
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Yeah, unfortunately a thief with a 10 dollar angle grinder and a few bucks worth of grinding wheels from Harbor Freight will easily slice through the sides of the vast majority of gun safes. (Its certainly different than the trouble of getting into a safe after forgetting the combo and getting into a safe without damaging it.) Its certainly important to have a gun safe(s) but its just one part of an overall security plan.

Its also good to have your safe hidden from plain view along with good reinforced locks/doors, secured windows, good outside lighting with motion sensors and an alarm. The gun safes are just part of the plan but not an end all in a security plan.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

and these threads if read by some crack head or wanna be thief, now has additional info a dumbass thief wouldn't have. jeebus h christy, just post the combo or hide the key under the friggin mat.

just saying
Rj
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

I can't think of any safe that would take the better part of a day to get into if you have some simple power tools.
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

It takes him that long because he is trying to not destroy the safe. Destructive techniques are much faster.
82echo

Post by 82echo »

Interesting comments about how easy it is to open these safes up. I dunno, but mine is pretty darn heavy, I suspect the metal is pretty thick. My installer seems to know what he's talking about, he's actually had to do it. Have you? He also commented that the weakest side was the bottom, is why it's always best to have it bolted to the slab, he used half inch bolts.

I know I'd have a heck of a time tearing it open.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

all hoopla, how many here have tried or first hand witnessed access the easy or the hard way, yep, all hoopla.

and nothing is safe in a safe, if you don't know that by now, shame on you, its one part of a system.

best of luck, as safes keep the semi honest ones honest a bit longer,
hehe
just saying
Rj
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

knockonit wrote: December 15th, 2018, 7:34 am best of luck, as safes keep the semi honest ones honest a bit longer,
hehe
just saying
Rj
At least for the better part of a day, right?
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

82echo wrote: December 14th, 2018, 7:00 pm Interesting comments about how easy it is to open these safes up. I dunno, but mine is pretty darn heavy, I suspect the metal is pretty thick. My installer seems to know what he's talking about, he's actually had to do it. Have you? He also commented that the weakest side was the bottom, is why it's always best to have it bolted to the slab, he used half inch bolts.

I know I'd have a heck of a time tearing it open.
I once helped a friend cut a hole in the side of his Browning Pro Steel safe to install an electrical junction box so he could plug in lights and a humidifier. He just had a cheap harbor freight hole saw but he wanted to attempt it and figured if it didn't cut through we'd make the long trek into the metro area for a quality hardened hole saw.

To our surprise the cheap hole saw sliced through the metal like butter. So cutting with an angle grinder or cut off tool would be nothing. Since this wasn't a cheap safe (an older USA made Browning safe) I'd think most are similar. It seems only the front of a gun safe and the door has that much metal to it.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

knockonit wrote: December 14th, 2018, 2:19 pm and these threads if read by some crack head or wanna be thief, now has additional info a dumbass thief wouldn't have. jeebus h christy, just post the combo or hide the key under the friggin mat.

just saying
Rj
Maybe we could use this strategy to ban google, hell all, search engines so they cant get this info.