status of exploding targets

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Abbey
ArizonaShooting.org Member

status of exploding targets

Post by Abbey »

Does anyone know of a link with up to date status of shooting restrictions for various land management jurisdictions? I don't use exploding targets or tracers during fire season, but this time of year I feel it's pretty safe. This may sound stupid but I thought previous prohibitions were seasonal or specific to individual districts. But I've recently heard that exploding target use is prohibited on all BLM and National Forest land.

What is everyone's understanding? It may be a case of a rule that isn't enforced but it kind of takes the fun out of it if I have to keep watching over my shoulder or save the them for the end of a shooting session when I'm packed & ready to leave right after the "boom".

Are we good to go with exploding targets? If not, is there anywhere outside of private land where they are still OK?

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files ... 15-001.pdf

https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/know-before-you-go/shooting

storage_man

Re: status of exploding targets

Post by storage_man »

I believe they have been banned on all public lands. Found this report as of March of this year https://www.prescottenews.com/index.php ... blic-lands for the National Forests and found this from BLM from June 2018 banning them https://www.blm.gov/press-release/firew ... s-ban-2018. But its best to call either BLM or NFS field offices on where you want to using binary explosives to hopefully get the correct info. I think after that national forest service firefighter down in Tucson started the fire earlier this year blowing up some Tannerite, if it isn't banned, it should be. Best would be to go to a private range that allows it.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

storage_man wrote: December 5th, 2018, 3:48 pm I believe they have been banned on all public lands. Found this report as of March of this year https://www.prescottenews.com/index.php ... blic-lands for the National Forests and found this from BLM from June 2018 banning them https://www.blm.gov/press-release/firew ... s-ban-2018. But its best to call either BLM or NFS field offices on where you want to using binary explosives to hopefully get the correct info. I think after that national forest service firefighter down in Tucson started the fire earlier this year blowing up some Tannerite, if it isn't banned, it should be. Best would be to go to a private range that allows it.
Because banning something for everyone due to a person screwing up is just the right thing to do huh?

Do you also support banning guns since they are used in murders?
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I have no problem with it being banned on public land.
I have personally never used tannerite but have seen the mess it leaves when people use it.
They go out in the desert and think it is fun to blow stuff up and let it fly all over the desert.
I have seen where they left craters in the ground, blown up brush and trees then leave the mess.
There were some idiots out at the A7 ranch blowing that stuff up and did a lot of damage to a dike at a cattle pond. Too bad they weren't caught out there.
If someone wants to do that they should do it on their own land.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well its the dumbasses that use public land and do stupid shiat, thats the problem, as we all know you can't ban or jail stupid asses just cause, although we should be able too, sure someone will jump all over that comment.

I as a partial owner of public land agree with above, if it will stop damage, and dumbass moves, then ban it from public land, if you wanna use it, buy, rent, borrow some land.

and screw all you neophytes who think you know what Az. needs.
Rj
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Pretty Californian type answers by Ballistic Therapy and knockonit.

If they can't catch the idiots who use it on public lands now...how will it be any due to a law banning it's use on public lands? Then after the partial ban on where it can be used doesn't work, the next logical step is a total ban on its sale and use anywhere in the state, just as CA has in place.

Dumbasses go out and destroy public lands in their 4 wheel drive trucks so I guess those should be banned except for on roads and private property as well?

The same logic applies to banning guns due to crime. After all it's for the children right?

I might be new to AZ but I am hardly new to people who want to or are ok with restricting freedoms.
baja

Post by baja »

I think some areas of public lands should be set aside for people to do dumb ass stuff. I mean after all, so-called dumb asses are part of the public too. Why not have special areas for extreme off-roading, shooting stuff up and, yes, blowing stuff up with tannerite.
This would put most of these activities in certain areas and there by keep the rest of public lands in better shape.
Don"t get me wrong, responsible off-roading and shooting should go on as it does today.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Just as CA has you mean?

Well absent the blowing stuff up part as they simply outright banned the sale/use of tannerite.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

Steve_In_29 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 6:29 pm
storage_man wrote: December 5th, 2018, 3:48 pm I believe they have been banned on all public lands. Found this report as of March of this year https://www.prescottenews.com/index.php ... blic-lands for the National Forests and found this from BLM from June 2018 banning them https://www.blm.gov/press-release/firew ... s-ban-2018. But its best to call either BLM or NFS field offices on where you want to using binary explosives to hopefully get the correct info. I think after that national forest service firefighter down in Tucson started the fire earlier this year blowing up some Tannerite, if it isn't banned, it should be. Best would be to go to a private range that allows it.
Because banning something for everyone due to a person screwing up is just the right thing to do huh?

Steve_In_29 you are a piece of work ? As I was trying to explain to the OP, I believe that it has been banned on BLM & National Forest lands. But to be sure, call the local office land bureau office for a definitive answer. I don't want the OP to go to jail for being a dumb-ass. My opinion of its use is just that as I stated, and its no different than shooting TRACER ammunition (.22cal - .50cal) out in the desert common sense says you shouldn't do it, and NO I'm not wanting guns to be banned.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

storage_man wrote: December 9th, 2018, 6:14 am

Steve_In_29 you are a piece of work ? As I was trying to explain to the OP, I believe that it has been banned on BLM & National Forest lands. But to be sure, call the local office land bureau office for a definitive answer. I don't want the OP to go to jail for being a dumb-ass. My opinion of its use is just that as I stated, and its no different than shooting TRACER ammunition (.22cal - .50cal) out in the desert common sense says you shouldn't do it, and NO I'm not wanting guns to be banned.
Interesting, YOU are the one that thinks banning something because some idiots happen to misuse it is a good thing and I'm the one with the problem in your eyes.

Like I mentioned it seems a few shooters in AZ have VERY California style outlooks on things. Yet it's always transplants like me that get blamed for AZ's downfall towards blue statedom.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

My question was not about people doing stupid stuff in the desert. People have been shooting trash long before exploding targets got popular. I have never left trash in the desert and usually bring some home if I find any.

At any rate, I guess I’ll call and verify. I can’t be the only one confused about policy since I still hear exploding targets when I’m out.
danonly55

Post by danonly55 »

Tannerite does not start fires, There is no flame from its explosion. The fire was started by something other than Tannerite. As far as creators go you need an awful lot of it to create a creator. Just alot of paranoia going on here.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

Steve_In_29 wrote: December 9th, 2018, 11:12 am
storage_man wrote: December 9th, 2018, 6:14 am

Interesting, YOU are the one that thinks banning something because some idiots happen to misuse it is a good thing and I'm the one with the problem in your eyes.

Like I mentioned it seems a few shooters in AZ have VERY California style outlooks on things. Yet it's always transplants like me that get blamed for AZ's downfall towards blue statedom.
Its not because of YOU from Kali, but from stupid people using that product in an unsafe mode. I say STUPID people should be banned, not the product.