Bill to Remove Marijuana Question from ATF Gun Form

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Bill to Remove Marijuana Question from ATF Gun Form

Post by Suck My Glock »

https://gundynamics.com/articles/lawmak ... f-gun-form

With marijuana increasingly legal across the country, a Republican lawmaker is looking to take federal gun regulators out of the equation.

Although marijuana is legal for adults in nines states, and as medical cannabis in 30, it remains listed as a highly-addictive and dangerous Schedule I drug with the federal government. It also shares the same designation as ecstasy, heroin, and LSD. This has resulted in the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives maintaining a status quo that any sale or possession of firearms by those who use marijuana, even if allowed by state law, remains criminal.

However, one GOP Congressman says the best way around this, for now, could be to just not ask the question. “I’ve drafted, but haven’t yet introduced, a bill to remove the marijuana question from ATF form 4473 — the question that requires anyone who uses marijuana (crime) to lie (crime) in order to purchase a gun (crime) from a gun dealer,” said U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., asking on social media if, “Any Democrats who would support such a bill?”

lew

Re: Bill to Remove Marijuana Question from ATF Gun Form

Post by lew »

Good.

I don't smoke, but someone who does should not have to forfeit/endanger their right to self-defense. Whether they partake for medicinal or recreational reasons is none of my concern, nor is it a concern of the state. The usual stipulation about user responsibility always applies, of course.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Why, in this day and age, knowing what we now know,... alcohol isn't considered just as dangerous a drug as pot!!!

Or, on the flip side,... with alcohol purchase/possession being regulated to the degree of allowing simultaneous firearm purchase, I don't see why regulated pot purchase/possession can't fall under the same auspice when dealing with firearm purchases.

I just don't see pot as being any more, or, less dangerous to society, than alcohol.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

shooter444 wrote: October 26th, 2018, 1:05 pm Why, in this day and age, knowing what we now know,... alcohol isn't considered just as dangerous a drug as pot!!!

Or, on the flip side,... with alcohol purchase/possession being regulated to the degree of allowing simultaneous firearm purchase, I don't see why regulated pot purchase/possession can't fall under the same auspice when dealing with firearm purchases.

I just don't see pot as being any more, or, less dangerous to society, than alcohol.
Of all my friends I know of none of them that have beat their wife up while high on pot. On the other hand I know of at least 10 who have tuned the wife up while drunk. I can't remember the last story I read on a guy smoking a joint and driving his car and killing people on the road, I know of many stories involving alcohol.

I predict soon pot will be 50 states legal as Monsanto has been developing pot for years so they can corner the market. When a major US corporation can corner the market on it they will make it legal.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

In Colorado large increase in stoned driving deaths, some people will drive drunk and or stoned, they are irresponsible asshats. So long as USA is a signatory to a treaty prohibiting just this sort of thing we can not legalize on national scale. On the other hand treaty dropout actions are more common now. Canada and Uraguay had a different view. The most troubling trend, Freedman said, is the driving while high.

“I think more than anything we need to combat that perception about driving while high,” he said. “Just because you’re driving slowly on the highway doesn’t mean it’s safe.” https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/26/c ... ct-report/
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Call me naive, but, I don't think pot use has increased all that much with the latest movement towards legalization,... it's just more in the face of society with all the reporting.

Reports of pot use related to crime/accidents is probably at the same percentage as previously experienced incidents.

I am not a huge proponent of government imposed prohibition. It was tried with alcohol and failed miserably! I feel the current Government imposed pot prohibition has failed miserably as well!

It's not going to go away,.... society might as well regulate accessibility and profit from another sin tax,...makes for good state budget bottom line's,... imho!
Sam Spade
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Sam Spade »

Removing the question is irrelevant. Let me know when someone is looking to amend 18 USC 922.
Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

Wonder if anyone has ever been addicted to LSD lol.

And no....I dont want people on acid anywhere near firearms. was just amused to see it listed as highly addictive.
Andrew TCB

Post by Andrew TCB »

The government has no business telling people what they are allowed to put in their bodies. Period. Can we just try freedom some day?
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Not arguing MJ good/bad:

Isn't this just like a politician. I will remove the question. Well the law and the ruling still stand. The law says you are a prohibited possessor if you use a drug that is on the FEDERAL Schedule 1 drug, MJ.

So the politician makes you feel good and some time later you screw up and the ATF introduces you to Buba as a 10 year roommate.

Politicians always go for what feels good with no solution to the problem.
Super Trucker

Post by Super Trucker »

shooter444 wrote: October 26th, 2018, 1:05 pm Why, in this day and age, knowing what we now know,... alcohol isn't considered just as dangerous a drug as pot!!!

I think the difference is that if you shoot somebody while drinking it takes the cops a minute or two for a breathe test to determine if you are legal or not, with pot I do not know that they can do that very quickly.
I don't really care one way or the other I am just offering a thought on your "more or less dangerous comment". I think its more about control than danger prevention.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Yup, there always is the "control" factor in politics!

Personally, I think it is more of a "cash control" factor.

When those that figure the revenue from taxed alcohol sales, vs, alcohol costs to society,... compared to projected pot tax revenue, vs, costs to society,... they may find it a cash positive legislature exercise.

When the bottom line looks good,.... it can be amazing how a sin can be redefined,... into a virtue, with the stroke of a pen! :whistle:
Last edited by shooter444 on November 18th, 2018, 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Andrew TCB wrote: November 16th, 2018, 7:49 am The government has no business telling people what they are allowed to put in their bodies. Period. Can we just try freedom some day?

:flags-waveusa: Hmmm, diatribe on the power of words,... part 2 :flags-waveusa:

As long as there are publications, statements, opinions, or general conversation that confirms, for the powers that WOULD BE,... that a percentage of the USA populous has been aptly brainwashed into forgetting that "We the People" are the "Government",... they will gladly step in and tell those people what to do, how to do it, and when to do it!!!

Word use, has power,... ask Joseph Goebbels!!!

As to "freedom",... freedom is a state of mind,... either you have it, or, you don't!!!

Personally,... I have been a freeman since my very first breath and feel very confident my freedom will remain, to my last !!!
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

shooter444 wrote: October 27th, 2018, 12:34 pm
Reports of pot use related to crime/accidents is probably at the same percentage as previously experienced incidents.
Colorado crime stats show an increase in burglaries beginning the 2nd year after medical use was legalized.
The auto insurance companies do have the data that proves the accident rate increased quicker than the national average in every state that had legalized medical use and even more so in states that legalized recreational use.

In Az, the number of wrong way drivers on the freeways has spiked since medical marijuana has been legalized.

DPS has just recently received the equipment and training to test for DUI under marijuana. There is a specific test that can test for the chemicals in your blood that make you high. Those chemicals are not present after you come down from being high. They are only present when you are high. The problem is that it is a blood test. I don't think DPS officers should be poking people with a needle for suspicion of DUI.

I had a 20 something working for me 18 months ago. He was using medical marijuana. His previous employer laid him off and hired a replacement. I had to do the same. The 1st month he worked OK, but as soon as he had a little cash, he started smoking again. It was obvious by his reduced attention span, loss of short term memory, poor decision making skills. I saw a decline in a 3 to 4 week period. I had to let him go. As an employer, we can't disqualify someone if they have an MMJ card. It would be like refusing to hire a diabetic. That would be asking for a lawsuit. We can't terminate for use on the job. You can't tell a diabetic he can't take his insulin... same thing under the law. You can only lay off due to lack of work and hire someone else. That results in an increase in Unemployment Insurance, which means an increased cost to every consumer in the state.
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

For people that say the government has no right to tell us what we can eat, drink or smoke, remember, the government's primary job is to protect the people. Protect us from invading armies via our military, protect us from murderers and thieves via the police and courts, protect us from drunk drivers and drug impaired drivers also via the police and courts. You want to drink till you drop, fine, do it at home and don't drive. You want to smoke MMJ? fine do it at home and don't drive or show up at work. As soon as you mix it with driving and or working, you are endangering others; now you are the problem.