Pocket Pistols

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Pocket Pistols

Post by Pro2a »

So we all know Lucky Gunner from our various ammo quests. I've never really compared prices there, because I've found that targetsportsusa.com has some really good prices and free shipping on thousand round orders. But enough of the shameless plug of which I make nothing.
Seems like the owner(maybe, I'm guessing) has been putting out some really informative videos. I found his video on shotgun storage at home very helpful in considering some angles I'd never thought of.
In this video, he points out that maybe pocket pistols aren't so useless. This video turned me on to the tactical professor, some ex military guy who specializes in small caliber handguns for self defense.
I fell like I need to make a disclaimer here that is covered in the video- This isn't for all situations everytime, but if the conditions warrant, and it's all you can get away with, maybe 32ACP isn't so bad.
And it really has me thinking that the Ruger LCR is a cute little 5 shot option, which by the way is covered in the second video of this series. Never thought that a revolver might have a better angle of grip in the AIWB postion.

smithers599

Re: Pocket Pistols

Post by smithers599 »

The Kel-Tec .32 auto was a game-changer. It made revolvers for pocket carry obsolete. They followed it with the .380, which Ruger then copied with the LCP, and then everybody else got in on the act.

The Kel-Tec .32 was inspired by the Seecamp .32, which was very expensive, and heavier because it was made of metal before plastic frame technology (coughGlockcough) became popular. The Seecamp never got into mass production like the Kel-Tec. The Seecamp was inspired by the pocket .25s, but .25 ACP really is next to useless for self-defense, except as a threat. (Back off! I have a gun!)

If you are thinking about an LCR for pocket carry, think again. The LCP is much easier to carry in your pocket.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

I owned the keltec 32, then the p3at and lcps, upgraded to the s&w bodyguard 380 for the added safety. Pocket or belt clip loaded with Buffalo bore 100gr hard cast its the Perfect small call carry gun. All rode well in the pocket but the BG is by far the best choice imo. The .45 or 9mm sheids I rotate are great larger cal options but no matter the clothing they both print a little. BG disappears in any clothing.
I’ve always thought a .32 or .380 is better than just my pocket knife when wearing a larger caliber was not as convenient or practical
samnev

Post by samnev »

I still carry a Berreta Tomcat.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

AZDESERTRAT wrote: October 13th, 2018, 6:54 am I owned the keltec 32, then the p3at and lcps, upgraded to the s&w bodyguard 380 for the added safety. Pocket or belt clip loaded with Buffalo bore 100gr hard cast its the Perfect small call carry gun. All rode well in the pocket but the BG is by far the best choice imo. The .45 or 9mm sheids I rotate are great larger cal options but no matter the clothing they both print a little. BG disappears in any clothing.
I’ve always thought a .32 or .380 is better than just my pocket knife when wearing a larger caliber was not as convenient or practical
I thought the S&W BG was the bees knees until I shot the Glock42, and that is still the smoothest shooting .380 I have experienced, although I haven't tried the Shield EZ, but it does start to get our of the pocket realm.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

smithers599 wrote: October 13th, 2018, 6:41 am The Kel-Tec .32 auto was a game-changer. It made revolvers for pocket carry obsolete. They followed it with the .380, which Ruger then copied with the LCP, and then everybody else got in on the act.

The Kel-Tec .32 was inspired by the Seecamp .32, which was very expensive, and heavier because it was made of metal before plastic frame technology (coughGlockcough) became popular. The Seecamp never got into mass production like the Kel-Tec. The Seecamp was inspired by the pocket .25s, but .25 ACP really is next to useless for self-defense, except as a threat. (Back off! I have a gun!)

If you are thinking about an LCR for pocket carry, think again. The LCP is much easier to carry in your pocket.
When you say LCP, do you mean LCP2?
I hated my LCP, and have heard the LCP2 is GREATLY improved, I would like to try one someday.
At the time though, my understanding of weapon choice was greatly narrowed. I have expanded my knowledge to understand that the LCP (1 or 2) of for close range encounters, and has a totally different job than say, the full size pistol that may be by the bedside. But as usual, the s*** gun you happen to have is better than the one you don't have at all.
What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

Glock 42/43 is a great pocket pistol that I can wear in any formal/casual pant. Cell phone would easily fit in with it to cover any gun print as some pockets I have are very slim and small.

Smooth shooting for how small it is compared to any other .380 pocket pistol I've shot. Though I haven't tried the Sig .380.

Also handy to have for jogging/hiking with short and shirt as well.
87jeep

Post by 87jeep »

Will stick with a P938. Like the 1911 style, fits in front or back pocket as well as IWB. Always goes bang.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Both my GF and myself have LCPs. She actually shoots hers more than I.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I'd always carried the Airweight J frame (M642/M442) Smith revolvers for my pocket carry. Then several years ago I began thinking I should get up to date and looked for a replacement for my old revolvers. So I began looking at pistols that were flatter and had a bit more capacity than the 5 rounds of the J frames.

I started with the Kel-Tec P32 and P3AT but could never get the reliability out of them that made me comfortable enough to risk carrying them. They sure had the slimness and lightweight features down but the execution of the guns were (and perhaps still are) lacking. So when Ruger made their 380 copy I was elated.

However, I had functioning issues with the LCP as well. I guess the newer models (this was an early one I had) are much improved but I again moved on a Kahr CW9. Not much of an improvement in capacity although I can carry a 7 round magazine and at least the Kahr is a 9mm. I always use a DeSanti Nemesis pocket holster and the Kahr disappears when using it. I still carry one of my J Frames from time to time but the Kahr has come the closest for being acceptable for reliability.

I should add that I still don't feel comfortable carrying such a low capacity handgun in this day and age. I feel much better with a double stack gun but when its t-shirts and shorts weather. like it is for most of the year in central and southern AZ, a pocket pistol is the best you can do.
lew

Post by lew »

Given how easy it is to conceal my G19 or Hi Power, I've never had the need for a pocket pistol. To each their own, though. Cheers!
41fan
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by 41fan »

Myself for pocket carry on my weekends I carry a Ruger LCP II in the pocket holster it came with. also have a Versacarry IWB holster and 2 inexpensive single mag holders I picked up off Amazon. Ammo choice is the Sig Sauer brand JHP.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Sig P238, best shooting 380 out there, if I want something a littler bigger P938.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

IMG_0311.JPG
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

little 32 guy religiously, and practice with it each time out at 7 yds, terrible trigger, but hey once you master it, well the rest is history
happy tuesday
rj