Will Taurus be a good investment right now?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
MarkItZero
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Will Taurus be a good investment right now?

Post by MarkItZero »

It looks like Bolsonaro will win in Brazil, and he is running on a tough on crime platform that includes a near total recall and loosening of gun laws and the introduction of ccw. I imagine Taurus would be the gun of choice there because of both their origin and their relative value.

Wondering if Taurus is publicly traded and how to get in on this.

Miker12

Re: Will Taurus be a good investment right now?

Post by Miker12 »

Harrier

Post by Harrier »

At 5.70R (how much is that in $$ ?) you could buy 1000 or so shares and test the waters without dumping a pile of money- the price is cheap enough to buy enough shares that a small increase, say .25 would give you a little profit to work off of buying more.

As far as the gun itself, the only time a Tarus is a worthwhile "investment" is if it saves your a** (IMO). If you want iron that will appreciate over the years then buy Colt of S&W.
kptaylor

Post by kptaylor »

Already tripled in value within the last few months.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

yes it has
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

OK so I got energetic and looked it up... 1R =0.27 USD so at R5.70= $1.54 x1000 = $1540 (about, + fees).
You not only have to play the stock price but also the exchange rate which has fluctuated between .23 and .31 per dollar. Don't forget all the other fees involved such as buy/sell commissions and exchange differential and conversion fees. Also you may have to report to the IRS ownership/interest in a foreign stock- but that is murky water if your buying on a US exchange thru a brokerage Co. Another thing to consider, does the stock price change with the exchange rate and not because the stock itself has changed in value.

Assuming the exchange rate stays at $0.27 to 1R and forgoing any fees, In order to make $100, 1000 shares of the stock would have to get to about R6.07, a rise of 6.5%- which is doable. If the exchange rate of the R goes up you stand to make even more. Since the R is near the bottom for this year and rising, that looks like a good bet. I have no idea how their politics would affect that.

Hypothetically lets say the rate goes way up to $0.30 to the R, and the stock doesn't move from 5.70R, then the original $1540 investment is suddenly worth $1710 for a profit of $171

Playing with foreign stocks, especially south of the border, is very risky business. Note that I am NOT an investment advisor, all of this is hypothetical and I figured it out in my head on the fly... you got what you paid for.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Well, he won, so do all Brazilians get an SD G2C?
Prob not
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Today it listed at R5.29 - down R0.41 from the last time we looked. Would have to start chart busting to guess which way it's gonna go but at least it is cheaper now, with more upside potential... if you haven't moved on it yet.

Wow - just looked at the chart- looks like the 22 thru the 26th was the time to sell when it was at R11.00 Had you bought back when you first asked the question then sold during that period you would have made a nice profit. Now it looks like volatility has set in- I doubt it will jump back to that range and would stay away for now... but I have a high aversion to risk.