Anybody run across this one?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Anybody run across this one?

Post by shooter444 »

Just when I thought I new about every quirky pain in the ass little nuance of trouble always waiting in the shadows,... I come across one that is rather hard for me to believe, so, I am looking to find someone who may have experienced the same. :cry:

The story goes like this,... I decided to scope and zero the Marlin 60 I just won in the ARIZONASHOOTING.ORG raffle. I was very anxious to see if it would cycle some Aquila 60 grain sub-sonic ammo. :pray: I had four types of 22lr on hand, just in case it wouldn't.

I have had a cheapo BSA fixed 36X Platinum model scope for years, that I put on numerous rifles over the years, with good, consistent,tracking, accuracy/grouping,... every time. But, it just seemed to always have a short coming that resulted in its removal. So,in its box it has sat, with a half dozen others I became disillusioned with.

So, I get the 36x all mounted up, I go to my pistol range, at max distance of 33 yds., and try all four 22lr ammo types.

The super velocity/copper washed bullet, and the subsonic copper washed bullet had crap results for groupings. The regular hi velocity and subsonic, both bare lead bullets, both grouped one hole, with the Aquila 60 grain being the smaller of the two.

LIKE ALMOST .22" HOLE!!! :dance: no matter how many shots taken!

So,... happy, happy me,... the Model 60 cycles and groups fantastic and with subsonics!!! :dance:

Put the rifle up, just when a rouge rooster decided to cause havoc in the milking barn area with an old rooster I have had for many years. Time for the youngster to go! Thinking this would be a great challenge for my raffle rifle, I pull it out and go for it! Only to find, once a again, the short comings of a fixed 36X scope on moving targets at short distances.

Well, I decide to pull it off,... ONCE AGAIN,... and try some of the other scopes sitting on the shelf.

Well,... to make this long story not quite so long, :whistle: and finally get to my question :pray: ,... I tried three other scopes to find groups with all four 22 lr ammo types to have absolutely horrid groups! :evil:

Sooo,... I get a wild hair across my butt and decide to throw the fixed 36X scope back on,... and, to my pleasant surprise,... MY ONE HOLE GROUPS COME BACK!!! :clap:

My question,... I have heard/read for a very long time that A BARREL can get picky about groupings when ammo isn't in sync with its harmonics, resulting in the need for hand loads, or a commercial ammo hunt for what it likes,... BUT,... I have never heard of a barrel liking a certain power, or a certain scope, to produce great groups!!

Anyone ever come across this? Could it be true, or, am I crazy? :naughty: I don't know!

The one and only thing I do know about this experience, is, the fixed 36X power scope is the only one, out of four, that is producing one hole groups!

Sooo,.... what say ye,... fact?,..., or, mistaken conclusion? :confusion-confused:
Last edited by shooter444 on October 7th, 2018, 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Anybody run across this noe?

Post by XJThrottle »

My model 60 is consistent no matter what I feed it. Never tried anything but full power LR though.
shooter444

Re: Anybody run across this one?

Post by shooter444 »

I read that same thing all over the internet,XJThrottle,... I was rather surprised that mine only liked regular lead 22 lr bullets,...but, not the copper washed.
Last edited by shooter444 on October 7th, 2018, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Perhaps the others aren't rigid in their mounts or perhaps they have a lot of parallax?
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Flash, do you really think that parallax can cause 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 33 yds, with three different scopes,... but not a fourth one,.... especially when fourth one with one hole group, is a 36X scope?

p.s.,... I used the same, Warne rings, for each scope mounting.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

XJThrottle wrote: October 7th, 2018, 2:54 pm My model 60 is consistent no matter what I feed it. Never tried anything but full power LR though.
By, "consistent",... what size groups, at what distance, are you talking about?
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Golf ball off a beer bottle at 50~ish yards.

I usually shoot it off hand at random s*** though. Not really shooting for groups.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Did you shoot the rogue rooster?
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

XJThrottle wrote: October 7th, 2018, 4:32 pm Golf ball off a beer bottle at 50~ish yards.

I usually shoot it off hand at random s*** though. Not really shooting for groups.
Hitting what we aim at, ...is,... what is all about,... isn't it !!! :D
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

xerts1191 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 4:42 pm Did you shoot the rogue rooster?
Hmmm, now that is an interesting question,... why do you ask?
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

You left me hanging on that!
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Sorry about that,...wouldn't want to leave anyone hanging 8-) , let's just say, he has learned his lesson.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

its whats for dinner, CHICKEN lol
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I can't speak as to your specific question,...however, the Aguila out-grouping the others is no surprise to me. For decades, I didn't think there was diddly squat difference of any significance when it came to standard (non-match) .22 ammo,...but I was soooooooo wrong. Because Aguila uses Eley priming, all their rimfire products I have tried produce superior accuracy to similar offerings from the big 4 (Winchester, Remington, CCI and Federal). It took me a loooooong time to come around, but for "serious" .22 ammo, I buy Aguila exclusively. I'll still buy other .22 ammo occasionally, but only for goofing around.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

knockonit wrote: October 7th, 2018, 5:02 pm its whats for dinner, CHICKEN lol

Hey knockonit,.... yup, chicken dinner is in the near future. The problem is, all my chickens are free range birds. There just ain't noth'n tougher than a free range chicken, so, I have found soaking in brine and Balsamic Vinegar, and then freezing, makes for a better roaster!

If ya'll new what they do to tenderize commercial chicken meat,.... you would sue them for attempted murder!!!
Last edited by shooter444 on October 8th, 2018, 5:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.