Firearm hold/appeal

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
ducatilover
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Firearm hold/appeal

Post by ducatilover »

I have a co-worker who stated he had a hold on a handgun he tried purchasing over a year ago. Apparent he got a hold due to his name being flagged. He has a common first and last name. He states he filed some paperwork with fib inquiring about the hold and to clear his name (can't recall what it was). Apparently since his name is flagged every time he tries to buy a firearm he will have a hold. Even if he gets cleared this time around.

This paperwork he filed is supposed to keep his name cleared so he can purchase what he wants. However, the paperwork has a backlog of about 2-3yrs. He has made several attempts to get more info but is only being told the current processing date. Anyone heard of this before? Any suggestions on what he can do to speed things up. He is a naturalized US citizen with no criminal record.

Flash

Re: Firearm hold/appeal

Post by Flash »

Have him get his CCW, then he bypasses NICS in Arizona.

One of the reasons I keep a CCW here.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

uh after i think its three days or so, they can pick up unless denied. at least thats my understanding of the Hold
mallic

Post by mallic »

Get a CCW. End run around all of that.
ducatilover

Post by ducatilover »

He can't get a ccw because fbi is stating he could be here illegally (at least someone with the same name). I'm assuming he wouldn't pass a background check for his ccw either.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I believe your friend :liar: just may be telling you tales out of school,... but, obviously, I really can't say for sure. :whistle:

edit;,... If he can't qualify for a Az. CWP,... then he is a prohibited possessor,... end of story.
Viper 1-26 INF

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

Unless flat out denied, it's about 3 days and the gun can be picked up, unless NICS calls dealer back and gives them a denied status. Most people that get a hold will get it every time (especially when not providing your social security number on the form). CWP/CCW is best way around the hassle.
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Yep, get a CWP!
jcbrown

Post by jcbrown »

I had the same thing happen. I have an extremely common name. The ATF must supply with you with the reason you were denied. That reason should be the city/county/state that has the data in question.

For me, I was told that I had a felony conviction in NY. After trying to find out how to run this down, I called the ATF again. A very nice agent looked into it, and gave me the number for the Attorney General responsible for that area. He said if the Attorney General's office could verify the discrepancy, I could be issued a Universal Pin Number - UPN. The UPN is something everyone ignores on their 4473. With it, you are identified specifically to you.

As it turned out, it was the personal phone of the Attorney General. She was not happy that I called her, but she said she would have one of her attorney's call me. One of her deputy attorney's called me and took my info. Within a few days, he called me back. He asked if I was black, if I was 5'9", if I was currently incarcerated in NY & if I had been convicted of raping and assaulting my ex-wife. When I responded no to the questions, he said he would call the ATF and take care of this. 2 weeks later, the ATF agent called me to tell me I would need to complete a form, and they would issue me the UPN. 1 month later, I had the UPN.

Even with a CCW, you have to have the UPN. You still have to fill out the 4473, and it will be rejected without it. I've written my UPN on the back of my CCW so I have it when I buy.

And the Attorney General, who I called on her personal cell phone - Lorreta Lynch. Yeah, I'm on all sorts of lists.
deanq

Post by deanq »

jcbrown wrote: August 28th, 2018, 4:29 pmEven with a CCW, you have to have the UPN. You still have to fill out the 4473, and it will be rejected without it. I've written my UPN on the back of my CCW so I have it when I buy.
I have never needed a UPN or any other kind of number when buying from a dealer using my CCW. 4473's are filled out by you and are stored with the FFL, there is no rejecton unless you answer a question wrong! No "numbers" are required.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

What is a UPN number?
Never heard of one.
Never been asked for one.

:confusion-shrug:
Last edited by shooter444 on August 29th, 2018, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mallic

Post by mallic »

deanq wrote: August 28th, 2018, 5:29 pm
jcbrown wrote: August 28th, 2018, 4:29 pmEven with a CCW, you have to have the UPN. You still have to fill out the 4473, and it will be rejected without it. I've written my UPN on the back of my CCW so I have it when I buy.
I have never needed a UPN or any other kind of number when buying from a dealer using my CCW. 4473's are filled out by you and are stored with the FFL, there is no rejecton unless you answer a question wrong! No "numbers" are required.
Clarifying my statement before getting jumped on by pedantic bastards. I have never needed any numbers other than my DOB and address. I used to put my social on there before I got my CWP, but since that isn't necessary, I know longer do so.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

^ mallic, you were crystal clear....there is a space on the 4473 forms for people with ID concerns to enter what I think is referred to as a Personal Identification Number or UPN. CCW negates that as long as one is not unfortunate enough to have a common name confused by the judicial system.

The pedantic bustards are everywhere on the web, lol.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

buncha whiney little biatches, jeebus h christ you asked on the internet, wtf did you expect, ugh.
go to the source............and get the real skinny rather than rely on idgits from the interwebs

just saying
jeebus h christy
Rj
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

In cases of your name being a commonality, you can also supply your S.S. #. The 4473 has a place for it and will further identify You. I despise doing that, but would do it if I were denied.