NICS appeal timeline

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
MarkItZero
ArizonaShooting.org Member

NICS appeal timeline

Post by MarkItZero »

I submitted a ccw application in January and still haven't gotten my permit issued but today I went to pick up a transfer and was denied.

I've been delayed before (reason I applied for ccw) but never this. I had a C&R FFL that expired in October. I submitted a denial appeal online and uploaded a scan of my expired ffl as evidence.

Anyone know how long this could take?

MarkItZero

Re: NICS appeal timeline

Post by MarkItZero »

Update: my appeal was approved today and I am legal to take possession! I was given a certificate to give to the ffl. Of course they're closed today but I'll get it tomorrow.

Moral of the story: a ccw is worth the $60
brandonsmash

Post by brandonsmash »

A 2-week turnaround is honestly quite a lot faster than I would have expected.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

brandonsmash wrote: March 4th, 2024, 7:47 pm A 2-week turnaround is honestly quite a lot faster than I would have expected.
I imagine being a previous FFL holder helped. On the appeal online document there was a comment box. I mentioned that I very recently had a license and included the old ffl number. Without that it may well have taken longer.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

MarkItZero wrote: March 4th, 2024, 11:58 am Update: my appeal was approved today and I am legal to take possession! I was given a certificate to give to the ffl. Of course they're closed today but I'll get it tomorrow.

Moral of the story: a ccw is worth the $60
Streamlining the purchase process was one of the primary reasons I got my ccw/cwp.
Yellowcarbon

Post by Yellowcarbon »

Yes, I keep my CCW currently for FFL transfers. It makes them a breeze. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a gun shop and there is a line of guys waiting on the NICS approval. I get bumped to the front of the line as I am not waiting on anything. It's worth it just for that alone.