Will an "Upgrade" Hurt Value?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Will an "Upgrade" Hurt Value?

Post by BigNate »

Years ago I bought a Yugo SKS (with the grenade launcher muzzle device, sight, etc...) - I don't remember what I paid - but it was "not much" because that is what they were worth at the time (I truly don't remember - but I think it was like $125 or so...). I shot it a couple of times, It generally functions but has gassing issues that I understand are a function of the toggle for the grenade launcher. I bought a replacement gas block that should fix this issue - but never put it in.

Today, I am browsing and see a $900 Yugo SKS... Huh? What? Who misplaced the decimal point? I browse a bit and - wow - the market has changed!

I had been meaning to dust it off and drop the new (aftermarket) gas block in it. Now I'm wondering whether that would hurt the value or help it. If I remember properly it essentially locks out the grenade launcher functionality. I'm leaning towards leaving it as it is and if I sell it - sell it with the part as an add-on. The other option would be to swap it, and save the take-out parts - but the odds of the parts getting "cleaned up" or buried are pretty high... It's not a gun that I shoot a lot... but I hate having a gun that I don't shoot...

What Would AZS Do?

QuietM4

Re: Will an "Upgrade" Hurt Value?

Post by QuietM4 »

A numbers matching SKS in excellent condition goes for about that...has for a while now. If your SKS isn't numbers matching, has been shot, re-armored, dings, dents, etc...do whatever you want to it.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

QuietM4 wrote: February 7th, 2024, 4:46 pm A numbers matching SKS in excellent condition goes for about that...has for a while now. If your SKS isn't numbers matching, has been shot, re-armored, dings, dents, etc...do whatever you want to it.
I've got an unfired '86 Yugo from Cherry Ordinance, it's got a little ding on the stock from when I was moving from Kalifornistan to here. I reckon that's gotta be a high priced rig these days, but I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

BigNate wrote: February 7th, 2024, 3:59 pm Years ago I bought a Yugo SKS (with the grenade launcher muzzle device, sight, etc...) - I don't remember what I paid - but it was "not much" because that is what they were worth at the time (I truly don't remember - but I think it was like $125 or so...). I shot it a couple of times, It generally functions but has gassing issues that I understand are a function of the toggle for the grenade launcher. I bought a replacement gas block that should fix this issue - but never put it in.

Today, I am browsing and see a $900 Yugo SKS... Huh? What? Who misplaced the decimal point? I browse a bit and - wow - the market has changed!

I had been meaning to dust it off and drop the new (aftermarket) gas block in it. Now I'm wondering whether that would hurt the value or help it. If I remember properly it essentially locks out the grenade launcher functionality. I'm leaning towards leaving it as it is and if I sell it - sell it with the part as an add-on. The other option would be to swap it, and save the take-out parts - but the odds of the parts getting "cleaned up" or buried are pretty high... It's not a gun that I shoot a lot... but I hate having a gun that I don't shoot...

What Would AZS Do?

I've replaced a couple of them, it's easy enough, do so, it'll only drive the price higher if it's fully functional.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Yellowcarbon

Post by Yellowcarbon »

You can find $500 SKS that have a non-original parts (plastic stock, plastic detachable magazine, etc.). I've seen Yugo SKS with the grenade launcher removed and 'fixed' gas blocks for close to that price. It's much harder to find all original, matching number SKS's for less than $750. And those a roughed up a bit.

Keep it as is if you want the most money for it. The value in SKS's and AK's are the original imported configuration & parts. Otherwise, buy a $600 PSA AK-47. Keep the spare parts with it, but keep the original parts on the gun. I can't tell you how many estate sales have a gun missing valuable parts that got thrown or donated. I've bought $25 shotgun barrels from garage sales that should have been $200. I think I bought a Winchester 1200 & 94 carbine for $75 each from an estate sale 20 years ago.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Any time I "upgrade" a gun, I put the original parts in a bag, labeled with the firearm's info and put them into a drawer. If I ever sell or trade the gun, I then have the original parts and the 'upgraded' gun which generally adds value - or at least lets a potential buyer choose what he wants.

For the most part, I leave my C&R or older guns in OEM condition with a few exceptions.
Pre1989
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Pre1989 »

Yup agree with Admin on this

If it a older/ no longer made / banned whatever gun keep it stock unless you have to mod something for safety sake

And agree again keep the parts with the gun in a bag if possible

Me when I am looking at used guns whenever I see "undergrad " "modified " etc I always get worried and start taking off how much I want to spend as I have found few upgrades that are worth the extra money they seem to want to ask for it .. Night sights yes but I cant stand when they swap the glock trigger out and want 1.4k for the gun just cause of that ...
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

The original Yugo SKS parts aren't cheap anymore either. Couple years ago had a 59/66 in need of gas tube and regulator parts, the correct tube was like $90+ and regulator $25.

That said I think the mod you want to do, just the gas regulator parts, isn't really a bad thing. Many of those got rusted up. You could keep the old parts in buttstock.
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

These have become somewhat collectable.

If something needs to be modded to make it work, I always keep the old parts and include them in a baggie.
samnev

Post by samnev »

I agree with what the others have said. Modifying it will hurt its value. Keep it the way it is.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

While we look at C&R's like the SKS and think, "wow, that's a $179 rifle, it's crazy how much they sell for now"... I had to change my perspective to think, "what would that rifle cost to make today?"

The only reason SKS's, Mosin's and others were so cheap was the supply of them coming in. Now that that has dried up, they are moving to their actual collector values.

K98's - and even Gewehr 43's went through the same process. There was a time that the Gewehr 43's were the cheap and inexpensive semi-auto surplus rifle to turn into a 'plinker' like some used to with SKS's.

If you see a bubba'ed Gewehr 43 (or even a K98), you look and think how sad and how much value is lost because of it. Down the line, SKS's will approach that... not quite as much because so many more were made, but the principle is still the same.

My $0.02 anyway.