The Super Safety (FRT-like 3D-printable device)

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

The Super Safety (FRT-like 3D-printable device)

Post by Suck My Glock »

Hmmmmm,...might need to test one of these,...for, you know,...the children.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: The Super Safety (FRT-like 3D-printable device)

Post by XJThrottle »

Will he take it to market and get it made of hardened metal, or sell the rights to it?...
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I love the innovation but this one looks more like a lightning link to me. Or maybe splitting the difference between a lightning link because it is actuated on bolt carrier recoil vs return. Regardless, I'll wait & see but won't be holding my breath for approval.

I wonder if he's printed any with some of the expensive metallic filament? Sure, it's not the same as manufacturing from steel but should get more than the 200 rounds he's getting from nylon.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Abbey wrote: December 21st, 2023, 8:51 am I love the innovation but this one looks more like a lightning link to me. Or maybe splitting the difference between a lightning link because it is actuated on bolt carrier recoil vs return. Regardless, I'll wait & see but won't be holding my breath for approval.

I wonder if he's printed any with some of the expensive metallic filament? Sure, it's not the same as manufacturing from steel but should get more than the 200 rounds he's getting from nylon.
Toward the end he mentioned that the 3 position one he had done in 17-4.
Hooch33
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Hooch33 »

With all the crazy s*** they are getting off the streets that make a rifle fire really fast built off a 3d printer, I’m willing to bet they will make a law banning all this s***.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Abbey wrote: December 21st, 2023, 8:51 am I love the innovation but this one looks more like a lightning link to me. Or maybe splitting the difference between a lightning link because it is actuated on bolt carrier recoil vs return. Regardless, I'll wait & see but won't be holding my breath for approval.

This acts more like a DIAS than a LL. LL sits behind and you need a special bolt carrier to get it to work, this works with a standard FA bolt carrier.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 1st, 2024, 11:49 am

This acts more like a DIAS than a LL. LL sits behind and you need a special bolt carrier to get it to work, this works with a standard FA bolt carrier.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
IMO, the main feature of a DIAS (or regular auto sear) is that it captures the hammer. This device doesn't capture the hammer.

Like a LL or Swift Link, (a LL using a "standard" AR-15 bolt carrier, a Swift Link using a standard M16 carrier) the Super Safety disconnects the disconnector. But unlike a LL or Swift Link, which directly disconnect the disconnector, releasing the hammer, the SS disengages the disconnector by forcing the trigger to reset. But since your finger muscle movement is still pulling on the trigger, you immediately release it again.

Again, it's an interesting approach.