.500sw loaders is this enough crimp ?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
jbone
ArizonaShooting.org Member

.500sw loaders is this enough crimp ?

Post by jbone »

350g xtp over 50g of cfe blk. do you think the crimp is heavy enough to prevent setback under recoil?

thanks j
Attachments
20231212_100736.jpg
20231212_100725.jpg

blasternaz

Re: .500sw loaders is this enough crimp ?

Post by blasternaz »

Looks good. Redding crimp? Combination of a roll crimp and taper. Worked well for all my .454 Casull loads. Send it and check. HTH's
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

Unrelated question. Being a relatively new 500 S&W owner I am curious if you've caculated the savings between loading your own vs. the least expensive factory ammo.
jbone

Post by jbone »

blaster thank you. Im using the standard roll crimp die from my rcbc set. seated and crimped in seperate step. I also have a Lee factory crimp die but unsure if im gonna need it. Your saying you roll crimped first and then in a seperate step you taper crimped?.

j
jbone

Post by jbone »

I have not calculated the cost as of yet. I was already set up to load other calibers so I just got all the parts I needed for .500 upfront. Depending on the powder you can go through alot of powder. I assume it will still be much cheaper than buying factory at 2 dollars+ per round.

I used less than a half pound off cfe blk for 50 rnds and it has one of the highest charge weights. The fast pistol powders are like half that.

j
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

jbone, the Redding crimp was designed to give a heavy crimp for heavy recoiling revolvers. It combined the squeezing of a taper crimp with the rolling in of a rolled crimp. Even Dillon used to carry it, for those reasons. Been out a long time.... My .454 Casull loads used to launch a 300 grain gas check lead slug at 1704 from my 6" FA. Never had a slug tie it up due to creep.
jbone

Post by jbone »

that is extremely helpful. I will definatly pick up the Redding die. Im gonna give these a test see how they do. cfe blk is supposed to bring top velocities at lower pressure.

thx for the tip on the die.

j