6.5 grendel

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: 6.5 grendel

Post by XJThrottle »

I built a nice 6.5g in an AR platform. I should go shoot it one of these days....

Creeker
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Creeker »

It’s better as a 6mm than a 6.5mm. Barrels are readily available, but unless you want the slightly neutered version that Hornady came out with (6ARC) then you have to handload. It’s just one pass through a sizing die to go down to 6mm. There are 40* versions that require fireforming, but I never found the gains worth the time.
Lion Armament LLC
ArizonaShooting.org Supporter

Post by Lion Armament LLC »

brandonsmash wrote: December 15th, 2023, 8:18 am I've been contemplating this round for a while; I have a couple spare populated lowers. Thing is, I don't like having a million different magazines. I already have one AR (and ASC magazines) for 7.62x39. I can't find anything that confirms definitively whether 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel will feed out of the same mag. I can find references to an Omni-Mag several years ago, but I assume that flopped.

Anyone with experience?
I found the ASC Grendel specific mags to be unreliable, but the C Products to be reliable. The difference seems to be the undercut at the front of the mag. The ASC isn't cut quite as deep, so the rim of the case gets hung up on it while feeding into the chamber.
brandonsmash
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by brandonsmash »

Lion Armament LLC wrote: December 15th, 2023, 9:28 am
brandonsmash wrote: December 15th, 2023, 8:18 am I've been contemplating this round for a while; I have a couple spare populated lowers. Thing is, I don't like having a million different magazines. I already have one AR (and ASC magazines) for 7.62x39. I can't find anything that confirms definitively whether 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel will feed out of the same mag. I can find references to an Omni-Mag several years ago, but I assume that flopped.

Anyone with experience?
I found the ASC Grendel specific mags to be unreliable, but the C Products to be reliable. The difference seems to be the undercut at the front of the mag. The ASC isn't cut quite as deep, so the rim of the case gets hung up on it while feeding into the chamber.
Given that they share the same parent case, are you aware of any mags that will reliably feed both 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform?
Lion Armament LLC

Post by Lion Armament LLC »

brandonsmash wrote: December 15th, 2023, 10:45 am
Lion Armament LLC wrote: December 15th, 2023, 9:28 am

Anyone with experience?
Given that they share the same parent case, are you aware of any mags that will reliably feed both 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform?
I'm not, though the C Products would be a good start imo