Ultrasonic cleaner

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
RandyTF
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Ultrasonic cleaner

Post by RandyTF »

I'm tired of cleaning parts so I am considering buying an ultrasonic cleaning unit. Are they more trouble than they are worth? Any recommendations? I see some very affordable models on Amazon but they are all imports....as usual. But even many brand names come from China. Hell, they seem to just change the decals on the same models from one name to another. Anyway, what's a poor boy to do?

paulgt2164

Re: Ultrasonic cleaner

Post by paulgt2164 »

I have a couple of these off amazon - both are white plastic outer shells with stainless insides w/ baskets.
They both work great for what I use them for (one for 3d resin print cleaning, and another for automotive/garage use.) I haven't used them for gun parts - but everything else I have used them for they have worked well. When these two die (they are about 2-3 years old and still work fine) I will probably buy a larger more "industrial" one.

They do emit a buzzing noise, that seems to drive my cat crazy so I don't use them in the house.
RandyTF

Post by RandyTF »

paulgt2164 wrote: November 25th, 2023, 1:31 pm I have a couple of these off amazon - both are white plastic outer shells with stainless insides w/ baskets.
They both work great for what I use them for (one for 3d resin print cleaning, and another for automotive/garage use.) I haven't used them for gun parts - but everything else I have used them for they have worked well. When these two die (they are about 2-3 years old and still work fine) I will probably buy a larger more "industrial" one.

They do emit a buzzing noise, that seems to drive my cat crazy so I don't use them in the house.
Which makes or models qualify as "industrial"? From what I have seen, I think a 6 liter size is about all I need. That is, unless there is some advantage to a larger unit besides just the size.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

i have a couple, one large enough to put a barreled action in, works awesome, i'll go dig it out and see whose it is, also have one that holds a few gallons, can't remember shite these days, but did clean a gaggle of dirty ugly brass and wowza, i generall drop revolvers in it especially the SS ones ,i reload and use really dirty powder so, it helps. i use a product from a joint donw in mesa, it over 30 bucks a gallon, and i do run it thru a filter after a few cleanings, but it cleans the crap off. ole gal has one for her jewelry, she got it from chinee store, loves it. i do bolts and misc. items as it only takes a few ounces
good luck, will report back on the big one, happy days
Rj
RandyTF

Post by RandyTF »

knockonit wrote: November 25th, 2023, 2:49 pm i have a couple, one large enough to put a barreled action in, works awesome, i'll go dig it out and see whose it is, also have one that holds a few gallons, can't remember shite these days, but did clean a gaggle of dirty ugly brass and wowza, i generall drop revolvers in it especially the SS ones ,i reload and use really dirty powder so, it helps. i use a product from a joint donw in mesa, it over 30 bucks a gallon, and i do run it thru a filter after a few cleanings, but it cleans the crap off. ole gal has one for her jewelry, she got it from chinee store, loves it. i do bolts and misc. items as it only takes a few ounces
good luck, will report back on the big one, happy days
Rj
I'm also hoping to clean up some revolvers...like you said.... especially SS revolvers. I only know what I have been learning online but I understand that it's best to completely disassemble whatever you want to clean. I hope that isn't completely true because it would take many moons to get that done. But getting a few BCGs cleaned up proper like will be nice for a start.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

on revolvers, i just typically pull the grips and drop'm in, some say no, some say okay, i figure oh well, have done uppers on 1911s, and full lowers also, but again pull grips. and one has to pay attention to what type of sites one has on gat.
i'll go out later today and see what units i have, pretty sure the long gun one isn't made anymore, but will confirm.
also will see if i have a label on the juice i picked up in mesa. crap is expensive, but wowza does it clean.
Rj
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

cleaner i used is Uniquetek cleaner, picked up in mesa or tempe, still trying to find the joint, lol. expensive, but as noted does the job.
rj
RandyTF

Post by RandyTF »

Most of what I have been hearing about cleaners is Simple Green pro HD. That is supposed to be okay for metal including aluminum. And it is environmentally... yada yada.
I tend to think it's not a big deal to clean guns without completely disassembling them. I get removing grips which is easy enough. Just don't want to have to keep track of little parts and springs and put them back again where they belong. I don't mind taking them apart to fix or replace a part but not just for cleanup. I figure a good rinse, compressed air and oil should be good after cleaning.

I do appreciate the info rj. I'm glad to hear that these ultrasonic cleaners are worth while.
NBC_LT

Post by NBC_LT »

Been using Master STAGES™ CLEAN 2020 for Ultra Sound (US) cleaning heavy firearm parts fouling. 1/3 cup concentrate into my Ultrasound (US) cleaner running at 60C - 1 hour for heavily fouled parts. So nice to clean a bunch of parts all at once if using different parts for caliber conversions - I shoot some guns in 3 different caliber kits - and to do all the major parts component groups at once in the US cleaner is really nice. This cleaner solution has been used for removing cosmoline - cleaning AR, AK and BMG parts - cleaning reloading dies - without stain/blemish.
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

RJ is it this one by chance? about $50/gallon

https://uniquetek.com/shop/ols/products ... gal-bottle
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Gatsby wrote: November 27th, 2023, 3:09 am RJ is it this one by chance? about $50/gallon

https://uniquetek.com/shop/ols/products ... gal-bottle
yes sir, tells u how long ago i bought the five gallons, whew, cost of shooting still going up :dance:
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

FINALLY got a look at my large cleaner, its a hornaday hot tub, big sob. works well, when i do use it it gets a lot of use, seems i keep items available and clean at once, the other unit is half that size, a no name i got from a member here years ago, use it for pistols ect.
probably a inport as it has no visible tags.
Rj