ATF says smoke grenades now verboten

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
C172 Heavy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

ATF says smoke grenades now verboten

Post by C172 Heavy »

Apparently the ATF removed the exemption they granted to smoke grenades and low power flashbangs. They had previously held that these items were not explosive devices and did not need special permitting to possess. They changed their minds and now removed that exemption to little fan fare or notice. They felt that since some of these were used by the "summer of love" crowd against law enforcement during "mostly peaceful protests" that they just had to do something. And by law they are allowed to (so says the ATF based on their interpretation of an explosive). They were granted the authority to regulate them by congress but chose not to, as back then even they were like M18 is not an explosive. Well now they say that the initiator of either a smoke or LP flashbang are explosive parts. They are making possession dependent upon issuance of an ATF explosives license. Apparently LP flashbangs are used A LOT by airsofters, like during a big national weekend event they go through over 1,000. IWA is the big company that sells a ton of these and have told ATF to pound sand. Their view, and their attorney's agree (surprise surprise) is that the LP flashbang is a PYROTECHNIC not an explosive so ATF has no jurisdiction.

Discuss.

C172 Heavy

Re: ATF says smoke grenades now verboten

Post by C172 Heavy »

Probably should of posted this in the rules/regulations section down the page. Mods feel free to move. My apologies.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

ATF writing more law..... They need to be slapped down
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I've been curious about making them at home, but figured it took too much time and effort and I'd rather just buy a few for whenever.

But now,....

I think I'm gonna need to whip up some.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

I don't see this part of the hobby having the deep-pockets needed to win such a fight.
OTOH, I really hope I am wrong. :)