Private sales getting ripped on the rise?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Private sales getting ripped on the rise?

Post by Suck My Glock »

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/on ... rking-lot/

Middle TN
Online gun sale turns into shootout in Mt. Juliet parking lot

MT. JULIET, Tenn. (WKRN) — Police are still on the lookout for several suspects after an online marketplace meetup resulted in a shootout at a popular Mt. Juliet shopping center Friday evening.

The Mt. Juliet Police Department said it responded to the Target parking lot at Providence Marketplace around 6 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 10 after reports of gunfire, including a bullet that hit the window of a nearby Red Robin. Two off-duty officers who had been eating at the restaurant jumped into action before other officers joined them at the scene.

Upon further investigation, police said they learned a Smyrna man and his wife drove to the parking lot to sell a firearm to someone they met online.

“While the husband, an adult male, was outside of his vehicle meeting the person to sell this firearm, he was ambushed by another person who began to shoot at him,” Mt. Juliet Police Capt. Tyler Chandler said in a Friday night press conference.

According to authorities, the seller grabbed a gun out of his car and began firing back. Three suspects took off in an SUV, which was captured on license plate readers and found later that night in Nashville.

“I was honestly shocked,” patron Jeff Tedford told News 2 on Saturday, Nov. 11. “I mean, this is a very nice area. We don’t live here, but we come here all the time.”

Jeff and his wife, Annette Tedford, visited the Red Robin at Providence Marketplace for a Veterans Day meal and were surprised to learn the restaurant had been hit by gunfire the night before.

“This typically is a pretty safe area for us to come down and do shopping…and to come from Red Robin, to come over here to eat, you know, we just ate there, it was pretty shocking,” Annette said.

Mt. Juliet officials sent a statement to News 2 on Saturday, saying that although private gun sales are legal in Tennessee, people need to be careful with all online marketplace transactions that involve meeting someone in person.

Criminals are exploiting online marketplaces to meet people and rob them, either trying to steal what the victim is selling or their cash of what they brought to do the purchase.

While we don’t see it often in Mt. Juliet, we hear about this frequently– victims robbed of guns, to their Xboxes to cash.

Meeting a stranger for a transaction is not a good idea, ever.
Capt. Tyler Chandler, Mt. Juliet Police Department

The Tedfords were grateful to learn nobody was injured during the parking lot shootout, but they still encouraged others to use designated safe spaces at law enforcement agencies to complete similar transactions.

“If you’re going to buy a firearm from somebody else, I mean, I wouldn’t do it in a dark parking lot late at night, you know, there are safe places in cities,” Jeff told News 2. “In Goodlettsville, we have a safe zone. I mean, doing it like that is very shady and probably not ever going to turn out well.”

As police continue to search for three suspects involved in the attempted robbery and shootout, they urge anyone with information on the suspects’ whereabouts to contact local authorities immediately.

campinginaz

Re: Private sales getting ripped on the rise?

Post by campinginaz »

It's always a risk meeting someone you don't know. Always have to stay on your guard. Hopefully this doesn't happen to often.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

campinginaz wrote: November 19th, 2023, 8:21 am It's always a risk meeting someone you don't know. Always have to stay on your guard. Hopefully this doesn't happen to often.
It happens a lot more frequently than you might think. Doesn't happen as much here, most that attempt are out of staters, and they either don't know or forget that we are a Constitutional Carry state.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
thom

Post by thom »

I agree with you Clyde that it happens more where citizens are east of the Mississippi or west of our state line.
BUT with more smash and grab criminals coming to our state, we must always be ready.
trailboss60

Post by trailboss60 »

Places like Quiktrip are well lighted, have excellent cameras that pretty much cover everything.
If I decided to sell to someone that I did not personally know, I would tell them to meet me there for their protection and mine, and I would explain to them about the cameras.
"meet me inside, coffee is on me"

If they decline or are a no-show, they can take their chances with Ray-Jay in the hood.
thom

Post by thom »

I have met 90% of the my deals with members from this board. I met a guy from Payson that I didn't know at the Tempe police station. He had no problem meeting there.
trailboss60

Post by trailboss60 »

thom wrote: November 19th, 2023, 7:56 pm I have met 90% of the my deals with members from this board. I met a guy from Payson that I didn't know at the Tempe police station. He had no problem meeting there.
The town of Gilbert has two Safe Exchange Zones in Gilbert within two police complexes: at Gilbert Police and Fire Headquarters at 75 E. Civic Center Drive and Gilbert Police San Tan Station in the northwest corner of Greenfield and Queen Creek roads.
brandonsmash

Post by brandonsmash »

This is a good reason to deal with AZS members in good standing. Chances of something shifty happening are much lower.

Besides AZS though, where do people arrange for firearms sales these days? Just Armslist?
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

brandonsmash wrote: November 20th, 2023, 11:54 pm This is a good reason to deal with AZS members in good standing. Chances of something shifty happening are much lower.

Besides AZS though, where do people arrange for firearms sales these days? Just Armslist?
Gunsarizona.com

Azgunbuy is basically dead now
AZSteve
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by AZSteve »

I did a lot of private party buys and sells years ago, never gave this much thought … the world has changed.

Are there any safe exchange zones in Scottsdale/North Phoenix?
mrbogangles

Post by mrbogangles »

I know someone that got tasered during a sale and robber took off with everything. Happened so fast he couldn't do anything. Got to stay safe out there.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

mrbogangles wrote: December 15th, 2023, 7:19 pm I know someone that got tasered during a sale and robber took off with everything. Happened so fast he couldn't do anything. Got to stay safe out there.
Crazy! Where did this happen?
mrbogangles

Post by mrbogangles »

campinginaz wrote: December 15th, 2023, 7:24 pm
mrbogangles wrote: December 15th, 2023, 7:19 pm I know someone that got tasered during a sale and robber took off with everything. Happened so fast he couldn't do anything. Got to stay safe out there.
Didn't ask, it was a few years ago, my buddy friend. He carried unchambered at the time and doesn't do that anymore.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

mrbogangles wrote: December 15th, 2023, 7:30 pm
campinginaz wrote: December 15th, 2023, 7:24 pm
Didn't ask, it was a few years ago, my buddy friend. He carried unchambered at the time and doesn't do that anymore.
Always carry with one in the chamber!
Dr Leaky

Post by Dr Leaky »

Last one I sold was in the safe zone at the Cottonwood PD building.