Do you like a "grip safety"?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
kenpoprofessor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Do you like a "grip safety"?

Post by kenpoprofessor »

I can't stand them, mostly for being an unneeded impediment to going boom. I have one gun that has it, and I like the gun (XD40sc w/9mm conversion barrel and mags), but, from a self defense line of reasoning, I would never carry it. Today, with a Youtube video and a dremel, mine no longer has the impediment, and I couldn't be more happy to think I might even carry it now. It even has the LaserLyte Rear Sight, that works, though right now it needs batteries (I haven't had it out in many years and it barely lit up).

What are your thoughts, Pros and Cons of a grip safetey???

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde

smithers599

Re: Do you like a "grip safety"?

Post by smithers599 »

If it works every time, it doesn't bother me. I used to miss the grip safety on a 1911 now and then, but then Kimber came up with their thicker grip safety, and everybody else started to put a "hump" on the grip safety, and since then (30 years)?, I have never experienced a failure to depress the grip safety on a 1911.

I bought a S&W EZ-9 a couple of years ago, but discovered that I often failed to depress the grip safety, so I sold it.

I witnessed a very good shooter with a Springfield XD, who had never had a problem, miss the grip safety when we were doing weak hand practice. That tells me that I don't want to carry an XD for self-defense.

In short (well, too late for that), a grip safety is not something I require, but it is not a deal-killer provided it works every time for my hands.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

its all in what you get used to, having shot .45s for years, its a natural thing for me to get a firm grip, which usually negates any issues, its you limp wristed , grip puzzies that cant handle a real mans gat. hehehehe, lets hear the cons on this one.
Rj
samnev

Post by samnev »

As smithers559 said "Kimber came up with their thicker grip safety, and everybody else started to put a "hump. With that change I really like the grip safety,
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Found this when searching how to remove the grip safety on that XD. Interesting.

Clyde
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

knockonit wrote: November 18th, 2023, 9:21 am its all in what you get used to, having shot .45s for years, its a natural thing for me to get a firm grip, which usually negates any issues, its you limp wristed , grip puzzies that cant handle a real mans gat. hehehehe, lets hear the cons on this one.
Rj
LOL, Glocks stovepipe with "limp wristing" so it ain't that :mrgreen:

Clyde
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

All of my 1911 grip safeties get "pinned".

I use the partial shockbuffer method. I cut a half circle piece out of a shockbuffer, then insert between the grip safety and the MSH as I reassemble. This keeps it depressed, and prevents any issues for me.

I've been shooting 1911's for 40yrs, and still don't get a perfect grip every time (and I have had a lot of practice in USPSA etc.).
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Noshoot wrote: November 19th, 2023, 8:47 am All of my 1911 grip safeties get "pinned".

I use the partial shockbuffer method. I cut a half circle piece out of a shockbuffer, then insert between the grip safety and the MSH as I reassemble. This keeps it depressed, and prevents any issues for me.

I've been shooting 1911's for 40yrs, and still don't get a perfect grip every time (and I have had a lot of practice in USPSA etc.).
Here's one guy's opinion, and I think he's not thinking clearly :mrgreen:

Have a great, gun carryin, Kenpo day

Clyde
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

I don't own anything with a grip safety and I don't think I would, at least not for self protection. I feel the same about a flip safety too, even though we had the Berreta M9 when I served and I was great with it. My personal belief is a grip safety or flip safety is one more thing that could go wrong when you need your pistol the most.