Scheels Chandler Opened Today

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Scheels Chandler Opened Today

Post by QuietM4 »

The new Scheels at the Chandler Mall opened today...I'm sure it's a madhouse. I'm checking it out later tonight.

Anyone already check it out this morning?

Joe_Blacke

Re: Scheels Chandler Opened Today

Post by Joe_Blacke »

We tried. It took over an hour an a half from where we were in line to get inside. Once inside it was wall to wall people. Couldn’t go down any isles. We just gave up and tried to go into the mall. I guess several thousand people had the same idea as the mall itself was packed like it was Christmas season in the 1990s.

Very surprised the fire Marshall didn’t shut it down. The place was an absolute madhouse.

I guess people started camping out on Thursday for a spot in line.

Probably going to be weeks before the buzz dies down.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

We plan to go there Monday, hoping the crowd will be gone. We just want to ride the roller-coaster. :D
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

smithers599 wrote: September 30th, 2023, 2:43 pm We plan to go there Monday, hoping the crowd will be gone. We just want to ride the roller-coaster. :D
It's a small Ferris wheel. Nothing worth waiting in a line for.
trailboss60

Post by trailboss60 »

Last month travelling in Utah, I experienced Scheels for the first time in Draper. I was impressed by the knowledge of those that worked in their respective departments, and a genuine friendliness that is rare in retail.

I went early today, waited in line and the crowd was manageable when I got there (I was there at 6:30 AM so I think I was there well ahead of Joe Blacke), the same genuineness was there (but a lot of the Utah staff is there for the opening). A fellow in line behind me that is a reloader grinned and told me that he was able to get powders he hasn't seen locally for 3 years. I was hoping for some awesome "giveaway" prices for the grand opening, not to be had...but I still spent $200, on ammo...(low on .38 special).

It was a madhouse by the time that I left, I think that going forward they will be a great asset to the firearms community, and the fact that they are employee owned, all of the workers have skin in the game.
thom

Post by thom »

I went today about 1130. It took 30 minutes to get upstairs to the gun counter from the mall entrance. Ammo prices seemed high. But they had a lot of it there. Primers were about $70 per 1000. They are cheaper at Sportsmans. Only 1000 at a time. Wall to wall people. I told my wife that I would be home to 2-3 hours. Way to many people there for me. Worse than dizzyland or the gunshows when the aisles are tight. I was out of there in an hour. My wife said go back during the week and spend your time.
trailboss60

Post by trailboss60 »

thom wrote: September 30th, 2023, 5:06 pm I went today about 1130. It took 30 minutes to get upstairs to the gun counter from the mall entrance. Ammo prices seemed high. But they had a lot of it there. Primers were about $70 per 1000. They are cheaper at Sportsmans. Only 1000 at a time. Wall to wall people. I told my wife that I would be home to 2-3 hours. Way to many people there for me. Worse than dizzyland or the gunshows when the aisles are tight. I was out of there in an hour. My wife said go back during the week and spend your time.
Sage advice from your lady, today should not inform you on normalcy at the store…. Anything but.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

We went also. The prices were certainly nothing to brag about but boy they had a lot of firearms. I didn't even see the ammo as it was just so crowded my anxiety was setting in. Ha Had to get out of the middle of the crowds. Middle of the week trip for me. Looks like it's going to be a great store.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Was anyone able to see if they carried USED guns of any sort
?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

pneuby wrote: September 30th, 2023, 7:01 pm Was anyone able to see if they carried USED guns of any sort
?
I asked the same thing to a buddy that went this morning. Yes, they have "a bunch" of used firearms.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Thanks, Quiet.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Went there today. Crowded, but not terrible. Lots and lots of used guns, some decently priced, others not so much. Lots of ammo inventory, but no bargains. 34 cents for 9, 50 cents for .45, 67 cents for .223.

But as I came around a corner, look what was waiting for me!
ScheelsGriz.jpg
Thank God I had my .45 with me. I put six rounds into the chest, and two in the head, then did a speed reload and did it again.
The crowd, realizing the danger I had saved them from, panicked and ran out of the place en masse. I got caught up in the crowd, so I never got the chance to receive the gratitude of the store managers.
trailboss60

Post by trailboss60 »

That is some funny stuff, Smithers!
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Just got back home from the new store. I went at 4:30, thinking it wouldn’t be too busy…WRONG.

I don’t think I’ve seen that much reloading equipment, accessories, bullets, primers, or powder in one store since 2015. Primers are still stupid expensive, but reasonable considering what BP/Cabela’s sells them for. $70 for Win small rifle #41. Grabbed some 77gr SMK for $18/box 50 (500 box was $165…not great, not terrible). Still plenty of primers and powder available.

Gun prices are a touch high, but what I would expect at a big box store. Better than BP/Cabela’s. I didn’t bother exploring the rest of the departments, but I’ll go back when the craze dies off so I can focus.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Speaking of the rest of the departments, I noticed the crowds were all in the shooting areas. Golf, tennis, baseball, soccer, kayaking, etc. -- nobody there. Guns are the bread and butter.