Scheels Chandler Opened Today

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Scheels Chandler Opened Today

Post by QuietM4 »

smithers599 wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 6:34 pm Speaking of the rest of the departments, I noticed the crowds were all in the shooting areas. Golf, tennis, baseball, soccer, kayaking, etc. -- nobody there. Guns are the bread and butter.
The Ski Department was a ghost town.

gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

Went back with the wife today----as recorded, still real busy. The schools around this area are currently on the fall break and there were a lot of kids running around with their parents and siblings. I'll probably wait until they are back in school to go back again. However, I was able to get to the reloading area and they absolutely had a lot of primers and powders. One thing I like already is that a lot of their rifle selections are on open racks and you can pick them up and handle them. The handguns however are in cages that look like they came out of Alcatraz. Hard to see.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

My thoughts on the pistol display;
They are low, so you always have to bend over or kneel to look closely...less than ideal. People are going to be tripping or bumping into other people all day. Small safety hazard, but it's 100% that someone will fall over within the week, if it hasn't happened already.

The cages behind the glass are too tightly woven...looked to be about 2" squares. Not easy to see through. If someone is currently looking at a pistol in the case, and I mean an employee has opened it and handed someone a pistol, no one else can look at the guns in that case, because there will be 2 people standing in front of it, along with the doors standing wide open (which someone will fall over). It looks really cool, but offers more practical use problems.

I don't like that the majority of the rifles are open to be fondled at will. Be prepared to be muzzled dozens of times if you walk through there. I was in that area for about 4 minutes, and had rifles pointed at me 5 times, by 5 different people. The wrong person is going to freak out if a stranger points a rifle at their head. And I want to be there when that happens.

Worst of all, and I GUARANTEE this has already happened. Several of the rifles open to picking up directly, are scoped, and what would be called a "sniper rifle" by the fudds. Someone will pick one up, and point it across the store at another person(s). This will absolutely happen on a weekly basis. How many basic firearm safety rules does that violate? Spoiler alert, it's all of them.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

QuietM4 wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 7:03 pm ...

I don't like that the majority of the rifles are open to be fondled at will. Be prepared to be muzzled dozens of times if you walk through there. I was in that area for about 4 minutes, and had rifles pointed at me 5 times, by 5 different people. The wrong person is going to freak out if a stranger points a rifle at their head. And I want to be there when that happens.

Worst of all, and I GUARANTEE this has already happened. Several of the rifles open to picking up directly, are scoped, and what would be called a "sniper rifle" by the fudds. Someone will pick one up, and point it across the store at another person(s). This will absolutely happen on a weekly basis. How many basic firearm safety rules does that violate? Spoiler alert, it's all of them.
What are the chances that some psycho teenager will drop a round in the chamber, then walk away, and wait around for something "funny" to happen. Ha ha.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

There are trigger locks on the rifles, but locks only stop honest people. I think within the year there will be a cage around all the rifles, unfortunately. In general, people tend to suck.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

QuietM4 wrote: October 4th, 2023, 9:57 am There are trigger locks on the rifles, but locks only stop honest people. I think within the year there will be a cage around all the rifles, unfortunately. In general, people tend to suck.
OK, I feel better knowing that there are trigger locks on the rifles. There may be scoping, but at least no trigger-pulling. That's a good thing.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

smithers599 wrote: October 4th, 2023, 10:55 am
QuietM4 wrote: October 4th, 2023, 9:57 am There are trigger locks on the rifles, but locks only stop honest people. I think within the year there will be a cage around all the rifles, unfortunately. In general, people tend to suck.
OK, I feel better knowing that there are trigger locks on the rifles. There may be scoping, but at least no trigger-pulling. That's a good thing.
"Scoping" is also known as "pointing a rifle at a person". Violates every single firearms safety rule there is.

And before the "but it's not loaded" comments...EVERY firearm is loaded. That's rule #1.

Maybe the employees are hyper vigilant about it now, but that's only going to last so long before complacency kicks in.
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

Scheels has had rifles in open racks for decades.

I’d be more worried about theft than anything.
62Grains

Post by 62Grains »

I was so excited they opened I went there on opening day. Sooooo crowded. Been in one a handful of times in Utah and loved how they had things that were in short supply elsewhere and the prices were not bad. They were pretty well stocked and they didnt have much on sale gun wise that I thought was amazing. But they did have plenty of primers, powders, bullets, ammo, guns, and all around gun and reloading stuff. They even had a decent amount of Dillon stuff there. Primers were cheaper than I saw at Sportsmans or Cabelas from a few months ago as well. And plenty to pick from. I even picked up some large rifle mag primers which seem to be a little on the tough side to find lately. They also had a bunch of Retumbo which seems to be scarce on the shelves. The other thing I noticed is that they had a lot more clothing than the Utah one. Maybe its cause they are a big revenue generator. They also didnt have the cool statues inside but they did have some outside. Overall I love the store because they have a lot of things that most of the other stores dont. Its like a better Cabelas, Sportsmans, Dicks, and big 5 all smashed into one place.
trailboss60

Post by trailboss60 »

Dicks does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Scheels, Basspro/ Cabelas.

If you are into Dicks, it is a store to go to though.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Not my pictures. Pulled these off of the Cast Boolits forum. But these are pics from inside the new Chandler Scheels' from earlier today. Seems the reloading supplies are well stocked. Haven't seen that many primers in one location in a coon's age.