Question about a Gun In a Meme

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Question about a Gun In a Meme

Post by BigNate »

So I've seen the attached meme floating around in a few places - and my curiosity is getting the best of me...

Can anyone identify the gun?

I've seen two sets of speculation -
One that it is a black powder gun of some sort and that in her state they are exempted from "firearms status" and this is her way of both calling out that stupidity - and actually carrying...

The other is that she's carrying some sort of sawed off center-fire rifle / hand cannon... LOL

Anyone have any idea what this is - or have any insights on the backstory?
odd-sidearm - Copy.jpg
Last edited by BigNate on September 12th, 2023, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NBC_LT

Re: Question about a Gun In a Meme

Post by NBC_LT »

Looks like one of my bee-keeping friends "snake guns". Just a sawed off .410 shotgun with fine shot. Useful when tending to bee hives off the beaten path.
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

There's a strong family resemblance to the improvised weapon in the pic. But the trigger guard says rifle or shotgun. If it was a rifle where's the bolt(unless it's a rolling block single shot.) Don't think lever action. Maybe a cut down hammer fired shotgun.

MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

I think it's one of those Traditions percussion pistols you build from a kit
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I'm guessing non-functioning toy.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Zooming in on the "gun." Out searching for guns that have something that looks like that little hunk of metal that the strap is jammed under... and that particular trigger guard...
odd-sidearm-zoom - Copy.jpg
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

Looks like a cutdown single shot .22 or similar. Something like a Stevens Favorite or Remington 33 would be my guess
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

Kingjoey wrote: September 13th, 2023, 11:22 am Looks like a cutdown single shot .22 or similar. Something like a Stevens Favorite or Remington 33 would be my guess
That was my thought when I saw the meme for the first time.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

I had a kit gun long ago that looked similar, it was a black powder gun.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

It may be a muzzle loading pistol. Not saying this person is a felon, but is a felon allowed to carry a muzzle loader?
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

I thought it was BP too, but it does appear to have some sort of striker
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Racewin wrote: September 13th, 2023, 4:36 pm It may be a muzzle loading pistol. Not saying this person is a felon, but is a felon allowed to carry a muzzle loader?
Under federal law yes. Under state law maybe.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Racewin wrote: September 13th, 2023, 4:36 pm It may be a muzzle loading pistol. Not saying this person is a felon, but is a felon allowed to carry a muzzle loader?
My understanding is that federal law does not classify black powder guns as "firearms" and some states follow suit - so in those cases there is nothing to prevent a prohibited possessor from owning / carrying one. Now I'm wondering if a cap and ball black powder revolver would fall under that same convention. This is getting interesting... :-)
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

BigNate wrote: September 14th, 2023, 8:40 am
My understanding is that federal law does not classify black powder guns as "firearms" and some states follow suit - so in those cases there is nothing to prevent a prohibited possessor from owning / carrying one. Now I'm wondering if a cap and ball black powder revolver would fall under that same convention. This is getting interesting... :-)
A cap and ball revolver is not a firearm per federal law. It can ship interstate to a non FFL. It could also be possessed by a felon under federal law.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

MarkItZero wrote: September 14th, 2023, 5:28 pm
BigNate wrote: September 14th, 2023, 8:40 am
A cap and ball revolver is not a firearm per federal law. It can ship interstate to a non FFL. It could also be possessed by a felon under federal law.
While I'm not generally a fan of the idea of felons carrying guns - I can imagine a number of scenarios in which this could be a handy bit of information for someone working around the edges of things...

A quick search of the interwebs returns a bunch of folks saying that Commiefornia takes the same view of black powder arms as the federal government does. There's a piece of me that thinks that doing some work on a high performance (relative) black powder cap and ball revolver for concealed carry in LA would be fun... :mrgreen:

EDIT - so 220grain 44 bullet at 1000 FPS - makes for a reasonable personal defense round... :D

https://www.guns.com/news/review/gun-re ... c-gel-test