Liberty Safe finks out on customers with the feds

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Tenring
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Liberty Safe finks out on customers with the feds

Post by Tenring »

Anyone interested, I will be posting up a few deeply discounted safes for sale in the classifieds ........

kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

aroyobob wrote: September 6th, 2023, 2:45 pm Does "access code" mean the default combination set at the factory or is it a "master key" that allows the company and law enforcement back door access to the safe?

Wouldn't changing the combination after taking delivery be a good idea?

Not like they can't saw or cut the safe open anyway.
This was my question. Why would liberty know the combo in the first place unless there is a master code stored that they have logged and can not be changed by the owner?

The owner should be able to change the code and not have a master code on the backend. Granted this will only slow them down in destroying it to get into the thing but I can only imagine the issues with having a code stored. You know that will be abused.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

The older turn combo lock, right, left, right, left, come with the combo set, I don't think it can be changed short of calling a Locksmith.

The electronic locks have one or two preset combos that remain as a courtesy even after your set yours. It is in their instructions so a person cannot say they did not know, I thought it was in case you lock yourself out.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Tenring wrote: September 6th, 2023, 4:23 pm The older turn combo lock, right, left, right, left, come with the combo set, I don't think it can be changed short of calling a Locksmith.

The electronic locks have one or two preset combos that remain as a courtesy even after your set yours. It is in their instructions so a person cannot say they did not know, I thought it was in case you lock yourself out.
I thought it was for when you lock yourself out as well.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Doc wrote: September 6th, 2023, 5:28 pm
Tenring wrote: September 6th, 2023, 4:23 pm The older turn combo lock, right, left, right, left, come with the combo set, I don't think it can be changed short of calling a Locksmith.

By Liberty's paperwork I saw today posted up by someone, you have to have a locksmith call them, which seems odd.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Tenring wrote: September 6th, 2023, 5:35 pm
Doc wrote: September 6th, 2023, 5:28 pm

By Liberty's paperwork I saw today posted up by someone, you have to have a locksmith call them, which seems odd.
Maybe the locksmith verifies your identification?
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

OK - here it is out of the last Liberty Safe I bought, this is a manual lock, says the same about combo locks, which I presume is electronic.
safe.jpg
shorepatrol

Post by shorepatrol »

Real simple to me. Do Liberty safes have a backdoor code you can't change and don't disclose it up front. If so, Liberty won't sell another safe regardless of all the other controversy
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Another question is how many other safe manufacturers store the combo ...... imagine when AI is in control all the chit is going to really be hitting the fan then, like my home security system etc.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Something else I just thought of, how secure is the information, name address, safe combo, after registering a safe at Liberty ....... can it be hacked or stolen ...... then someone would know where all the registered safes are and how to open them.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Reason #1 not to have a digital combo lock.

As someone who has actually sold gun safes while working in firearms retail in past work, I can tell you from first hand experience that the vast majority of safe manufacturers are able to tell you the combo to your safe. Doesn't matter if it is a digital or analog dial. If your safe has a serial number on the back of it, the manufacturer knows the factory set combo. Liberty, American Securities, Browning/Winchester (branded by another safe company), etc...they all have that info on hand for when customers forget/lose the combo. Unless you paid a professional gunsmith to change the combo after you bought your safe, the info is readily available.

Every gun safe I've owned has been an analog dial...never digital. I paid a locksmith to change the combo on the first safe I owned, but after watching him do it, it's a simple task that I did myself with future safes, and not just gun safes.

I'm not concerned about Liberty giving the info to LEO...I'd rather they do that than have my safe drilled out and rendered inoperable. My concern is that THEY RETAIN THE INFO. Why would you retain that information? To help your customers for can't keep/remember a few numbers? You're an adult, figure out how to call a locksmith.

I have no ill will toward Liberty...NEARLY EVERY safe company does this...Liberty just happened to get exposed for doing it. They shouldn't need a subpoena, because they shouldn't retain that info.

And, as you all should know...LOCKS ONLY STOP HONEST PEOPLE (and people who don't know how YouTube works).
Drmark
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Drmark »

paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

QuietM4 wrote: September 7th, 2023, 10:39 am I have no ill will toward Liberty...NEARLY EVERY safe company does this...Liberty just happened to get exposed for doing it. They shouldn't need a subpoena, because they shouldn't retain that info.

This. I would bet nearlyevery safe manufacturer would have done the same exact thing Liberty did, they just were the first to get "exposed" doing it. I bet Liberty's competition will start singing the "we wouldnt do that, we don't do that" PR now - even though they totally would have. Dance around with the silly memes, boycott, and be "shocked and outraged" all you want - but lets be real.

The reaction to this is hilarious, cause I bet all these people dumping their liberties (or saying they are going to) will buy another companies safe - that would do the same thing. The best we can hope for is maybe this will change some internal policies at Liberty (and other manufacturers) to make this harder to do. But, in the grand scheme of things - if "they" want in your safe - they will get in your safe.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

paulgt2164 wrote: September 7th, 2023, 11:54 am
QuietM4 wrote: September 7th, 2023, 10:39 am I have no ill will toward Liberty...NEARLY EVERY safe company does this...Liberty just happened to get exposed for doing it. They shouldn't need a subpoena, because they shouldn't retain that info.

This. I would bet nearlyevery safe manufacturer would have done the same exact thing Liberty did, they just were the first to get "exposed" doing it. I bet Liberty's competition will start singing the "we wouldnt do that, we don't do that" PR now - even though they totally would have. Dance around with the silly memes, boycott, and be "shocked and outraged" all you want - but lets be real.

The reaction to this is hilarious, cause I bet all these people dumping their liberties (or saying they are going to) will buy another companies safe - that would do the same thing. The best we can hope for is maybe this will change some internal policies at Liberty (and other manufacturers) to make this harder to do. But, in the grand scheme of things - if "they" want in your safe - they will get in your safe.
Nearly every safe manufacturer DOES and WILL DO this for their customers. Liberty just got 'caught'. And yes....people will dump their Liberty safes and buy another brand who WILL DO and DOES the same exact thing.

If you require ANY company...Bud Light, Chick-fil-A, In-N-Out, Black Rifle Coffee Co, Liberty, etc...to adopt and share YOUR EXACT VALUES in order for you to purchase their product(s)...you WILL BE LIED TO CONSTANTLY.