Need help finding an FFL near Tucson willing to work with a non-immigrant alien!

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Ballistic Therapy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Need help finding an FFL near Tucson willing to work with a non-immigrant alien!

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

So if you can purchase one legally from a private sale .
Then couldn't you purchase one from a private sale and continue to look for an FFL that will help you ?
Then in the mean time , you can legally hunt while you are looking for the right FFL.
Buying from an individual might not give you the credit report or resume you mentioned , but it wouldn't go against it , would it ?

Just a thought , I am by no means an expert in the field.

HikingSwarmUofCat33
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: Need help finding an FFL near Tucson willing to work with a non-immigrant alien!

Post by HikingSwarmUofCat33 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 12:36 pm So if you can purchase one legally from a private sale .
Then couldn't you purchase one from a private sale and continue to look for an FFL that will help you ?
Then in the mean time , you can legally hunt while you are looking for the right FFL.
Buying from an individual might not give you the credit report or resume you mentioned , but it wouldn't go against it , would it ?

Just a thought , I am by no means an expert in the field.
I have no intention to rush purchasing one, I have friends in the area where I could lend when we go hunting together. My attempt to post this thread is to explore my options in Arizona for an FFL as I anticipate that to be a significant obstacle. I didn't draw a tag for this season as well so there's nothing to worry about. I'm expecting to buy one months from now, hopefully around the Spring 2024 season.

It won't go against it. You are correct on that end.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

You have to wonder how most FFLs actually feel about the 2A.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

I don't think that most FFL's are shying away because of their position on the 2A, I think it is more concern about not knowing the legalities, and not being willing to chance it and run the risk of losing their FFL.

The ATF has no problem hemming up businesses, and if you are a small shop, or home FFL, this could break you.
GunNut

Post by GunNut »

cool arrow wrote: September 4th, 2023, 10:11 pm I don't think that most FFL's are shying away because of their position on the 2A, I think it is more concern about not knowing the legalities, and not being willing to chance it and run the risk of losing their FFL.

The ATF has no problem hemming up businesses, and if you are a small shop, or home FFL, this could break you.
BINGO PRIZE WINNER REPLY RIGHT HERE
Howlin Mad

Post by Howlin Mad »

You might try Thunderstick Trading Co. on Jefferson just off Speedway and Craycroft. Mike is a pretty savvy guy, and I know he dealt with some Australians a few times. 520-290-8599
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

I have a coworker with the same issue (Gilbert/Chandler)

It is 100% legal for a non-resident alien with a hunting license to purchase a firearm from an FFL, but every FFL around here is running scared and hunkered down. Not that I blame them with the current administration.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

RufusXG wrote: September 4th, 2023, 8:28 am You have to wonder how most FFLs actually feel about the 2A.
This isn't the case at all.

ATF has been cracking down hard with their "zero tolerance" B.S. policy. This is forcing FFLs to be extra picky.

Couple that with the incoming rule change regarding private sales - therefore forcing every "legal" transaction to go through an FFL - and it is plainly obvious the "long game" is to make it basically impossible to be an FFL. Increasing the amount of transfers increases the amount of possibility for small errors - which the ATF can then swoop in and shut them down.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

Forcing FFLs to be extra picky? How? Picking who's 2A rights they feel like respecting?

It's either legal, or it's not. If you can't interpret the regs, or get ATF to do it for you, why do you even have an FFL?

If you're afraid the ATF will stitch you up for a perfectly legal transaction, why in your right mind do you keep an FFL?
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

RufusXG wrote: September 10th, 2023, 4:12 pm Forcing FFLs to be extra picky? How? Picking who's 2A rights they feel like respecting?

It's either legal, or it's not. If you can't interpret the regs, or get ATF to do it for you, why do you even have an FFL?

If you're afraid the ATF will stitch you up for a perfectly legal transaction, why in your right mind do you keep an FFL?

Wow, now that didn't come off as biased at all. The ATF are being stupid these days, and very few FFLs want to get close to even brushing the edge of this. I don't blame them. Do you have an FFL? If so, put your money where your mouth is and do this transaction. If not, then maybe just shut up,

Clyde
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

How is asking questions, that you chose not to answer, biased? Maybe you're just as lazy as those FFLs.

So you support any FFLs denying someone their 2A rights?
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

RufusXG wrote: September 10th, 2023, 4:12 pm Forcing FFLs to be extra picky? How? Picking who's 2A rights they feel like respecting?
Considering their livelihoods are on the line....
RufusXG wrote: September 10th, 2023, 4:12 pm It's either legal, or it's not. If you can't interpret the regs, or get ATF to do it for you, why do you even have an FFL?
Why don't you reach out to the ATF and ask them. Lets see how long it takes, and how "clear" their response is. We will wait.
RufusXG wrote: September 10th, 2023, 4:12 pm If you're afraid the ATF will stitch you up for a perfectly legal transaction, why in your right mind do you keep an FFL?
If it was so clearly legal - why does this thread exist? Why are people quoting legal websites regarding? So obviously the legality is in question.
RufusXG wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:05 pm How is asking questions, that you chose not to answer, biased? Maybe you're just as lazy as those FFLs.

Lol, think harder skipper. The problem isn't the FFL. The problem is that the ATF has made the process / laws so convoluted that the FFLs won't risk their business and livelihoods to do a transaction that is so hard to understand the legality of the person wanting to buy a rifle started a thread on a forum for advice, and is posting links to legal websites. I don't blame them either - the zero tolerance stance the ATF has taken at request of the current administration makes the risk not worth it for selling a rifle to someone under hard to understand rules and a fringe/uncommon situation.
Last edited by paulgt2164 on September 10th, 2023, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

RufusXG wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:05 pm How is asking questions, that you chose not to answer, biased? Maybe you're just as lazy as those FFLs.

Put your ass, livelihood, and money on the line instead of talking about others doing so, let me know how it works out.

Clyde
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

Lame ass excuses. It's clearly legal. Most FFLs apparently only want to pretend to support the 2A.

I made a career in regulatory compliance in an industry with billion dollar assets. If I was too afraid to do my job, I wouldn't have pretended to, just to keep cashing my check.

So Clyde, the only people you ever criticize are those in the exact same line of work as you? Yeah right.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

"Clearly" yet the OP had to contact a lawyer, the ATF, DPS, post four documents including a flow chart, and then admits there may be a problem on the FFL's end with properly filling out the 4473 correctly to retain legality.OP doesn't want to private party (even though it appears to be legal in the same way as purchasing from a FFL) because he isn't sure enough (after all that) and doesn't want to risk anything.

Once again, I don't see how this is an FFL issue. It is an ATF issue, but maybe you like the ATF and that is why you seem to be missing/ignoring the important point of all this. That would make sense after your posts in the Tombstone thread.

Your "worked in regulatory compliance" doesn't translate into any more insight than anyone else when you are dealing with an government agency that actively and maliciously tries to sabotage and turn law-abiding citizens into felons any chance it gets. You obviously have never dealt with the incompetence of the ATF, cause if you had - it would all make sense why FFLs don't want to touch this situation.

I have yet to meet an FFL that doesn't want to sell guns. Pretty sure they need/try to sell guns to remain operational.