You might want to avoid Bass Pro,....

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

You might want to avoid Bass Pro,....

Post by Suck My Glock »

Seems Bass Pro has taken it upon themselves to ban legally qualified purchasers because of their address.

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/07/bass-p ... z88f1chHSk

Cecil Trimble, a 35-year-old restaurant manager, took a fishing reel to Bass Pro Shop’s Tampa store last week to be spooled with new line. As he was waiting, he wandered over to the gun department and immediately spotted the object of his recent desire.

Trimble had been searching for a Sig P365 X Macro for weeks. The problem was, so had everybody else. Bass Pro wanted around $800 for the 9mm. Trimble didn’t hesitate. He told the salesperson he wanted it, completed a Form 4473, and handed over his Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License, which exempts him from a waiting period. Trimble had purchased numerous firearms from Bass Pro Shop in the past, so he expected to walk out of the store with his new pistol in minutes.

“The clerk came over and told me, ‘The ATF has approved you, but we’re denying the purchase,’” Trimble told the Second Amendment Foundation’s Investigative Journalism Project earlier this week.

Astonished, Trimble demanded to know what was going on. The salesperson said Trimble’s brother-in-law had tried to buy a firearm at the store a month ago but self-denied on the 4473, most likely because he misread a question. Unfortunately, Trimble’s brother-in-law, who had lived with him several years ago, moved out but never changed the address on his driver’s license.

“I asked the clerk how this had anything to do with me, and he said it was Bass Pro’s policy not to sell any firearms to anyone living at the same address as someone who has been denied,” Trimble said. “He hasn’t lived there for three or four years. I get the straw purchase thing, but he tried to buy a $200 revolver and I was trying to buy an $800 9mm.”

“The firearms manager agreed with me but could not get the GM of compliance on the phone to talk this out,” Trimble said. “As it stands now, I or anyone living at my address are barred from buying firearms from Bass Pro ever again.”

Trimble pointed out his brother-in-law is retired military, a Florida CWFL holder, and not a prohibited person. He must have misread a question on the Form 4473, Trimble said. The staff wouldn’t relent.

“My main gripe is this: what if I moved into an apartment and the previous tenant was denied. According to Bass Pro, I couldn’t disprove it’s not a straw purchase, and I can never buy a gun from them again,” Trimble said.

Bass Pro’s response

Neither Bass Pro Shop’s corporate communications staff nor Jarron Ritchie, general manager of the Tampa facility, responded to multiple calls or emails seeking their comments for this story.

Calls to Bass Pro’s firearm compliance directors were referred to their corporate communications staff, who did not respond.

Multiple calls to the Tampa store’s gun department finally produced a brief interview with “Joe,” who said he was one of the store’s managers. Joe did not provide his last name.

At first, he tried to blame the ATF, but he later admitted, “We do keep a data log on this.” However, he would not discuss or disclose their corporate background check policy.

“Again, sir, we are talking about things that I, at the store level, am not allowed to go into,” Joe said.
Takeaways

It’s important to remember that a gun dealer can refuse to transfer a firearm to anyone for any reason. In fact, they don’t need a reason to refuse a sale.

Also, the Biden-Harris administration has declared war on gun dealers. Federal Firearm License (FFL) revocations have increased by more than 500% since Biden took office. If the ATF was able to revoke the FFL of a big-box gun store like Bass Pro, the results would be cataclysmic for the store and its customers. Therefore, it is easy to understand why the sporting goods chain would want to be very careful when transferring firearms.

Still, Bass Pro’s straw purchase fears do not make much sense in this case. Straw purchases usually happen within 72 hours of a denial – not a month later – and nearly all of them involve the same gun – not a $200 revolver and then an $800 9mm.

Trimble was able to find and purchase a P365 from a local gun store the next day. The whole ordeal reminded him of another corporate mishap.

“Remember when Dick’s became anti-gun? This could be a slippery slope like Dick’s went through,” Trimble said. “They’re not preventing straw purchases. I answered that question on a federal form, which should be good enough. Bass Pro told me I’d get a call back from them the next day. I’m still waiting for that call.”

Legally, Bass Pro can concoct whatever policies they want, but they also should be willing to explain them when asked by the public. Even at the height of their lunacy, Dick’s still managed to do that.

Doc

Re: You might want to avoid Bass Pro,....

Post by Doc »

I had a similar issue.

Moved into a new build and Cabela’s 4473 machine didn’t recognize the address. Had to speak to a few people but ultimately they moved forward with my purchase.

I get it, I’m not risking my FFL for some guy with a good story.

As for original story ….someone else probably purchased the gun immediately afterwards so what does Bass Pro care?
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Remember bass pro used to be the fudds who corporately hated ARs and ccw handguns and wouldn't sell them.
GunNut

Post by GunNut »

Ass pro can pound sand. Never gave a nickle to them nor will. Corp idiots with self imposing BS make me puke
samnev

Post by samnev »

GunNut wrote: July 27th, 2023, 9:41 am Ass pro can pound sand. Never gave a nickle to them nor will. Corp idiots with self imposing BS make me puke
That makes two of us. :angry-cussing:
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Reason #1,467 to only buy firearms from locally owned and operated businesses, not giant corporations.

Bass Pro has really gone downhill over the past few years...really since they bought Cabela's. I really only go there for clothes now...I'll browse through the gun department, but the prices are easily 20% higher on nearly every product.

I hope the new Sheel's in Chandler will be better, but I don't have high hopes. Even Sportsman's Warehouse is becoming overpriced.

All these big-box retailers b**** and moan about how online stores are stealing all of their business...lol. They aren't stealing it, BassPro/Sportsmans/Sheels/Etc are losing it.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Cabelas/Bass Pro doesn't get any of my money after the fiasco I went through to buy a black powder revolver there a few years ago.

I was on that side of town (cabelas) and stopped in since I never go there. They had stainless 1858 remington on sale, so I said why not.

Long story short - after running my card they then hand me a printed 4473 to fill out ("for their records...",) and it took 3 additional people to sign off on it before I could leave. The cashier said it was "company policy." I made sure I let all 4 people that needed to be involved know I would never set foot in a Bass Pro/Cabelas ever again. It took me 45+ minutes to get out of there. Actual NICs check would have been faster. If they hadn't already ran my card I would have left - but if it takes them that long for me to buy something that I can have shipped to my door as it isn't a firearm, how long would it take to refund me. Lesson learned - f*ck that place.

So glad the their purchase of Sportsman's fell through even though Sportsman's kinda sucks these day. Sportsman's ammo is consistently $2-$8 a box more than everywhere else these days, and there isn't many deals behind the gun counter either. I went from buying 4-6 guns there a year to zero. Anything new I basically buy at AmmoAZ, and Tombstone (despite them being really annoying sometimes.)
Last edited by paulgt2164 on July 27th, 2023, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Somebody needed to be more patient and STFO of Bass Pro. I rarely go in there, or Cabela's, and have never bought a gun there. Most of my stuff has been purchased online, but a few these last couple of years I've given Murph at AmmoAZ my money. For the stuff coming in, I use AVAZ firearms, Alejandro takes good care of RJ and I for that.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde