WE NEED YOU

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
baja
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: WE NEED YOU

Post by baja »

I live way on the east side and haven't really been in that area except for occasionally passing by on I17.
But that being said, if there's something I can do to help out just let me know.

YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

watchthewind wrote: May 20th, 2023, 4:33 pm I'll start off with.... I've never shot at any of these ranges. I've only looked at them online and read the rules. I pretty much just shoot matches at Ben Avery. IMHO it might be a good idea to add cover to the firing points and allow folks to set up frames for paper targets.
Scott
Scott,
How about you commit to joining us for the brainstorming session. What do you need to practice for matches, besides shade, and your own targets?

If we were discussing this in a room, I would give up constructed shade structures, since we bring pop-ups for our own shade, in order to be able to go downrange for our own targets, steel paper, etc, and chronographs.

That is why we want a bunch of people together to throw out ideas.
watchthewind

Post by watchthewind »

YNOTAZ you've got PM
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Got it, thanks If I can find the original email we sent to BLM about shortcomings in the existing ranges, I will post it here.

The issues we are trying to address are, can we turn these multi-million-dollar ranges into places to shoot, with the same or at least similar capabilities of open desert shooting without turning them into just another Ben Avery with sorrowful maintenance. As an alternative reopen areas used for the past 40 years for open desert shooting where there is no conflict with the formal ranges to allow us a choice.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Just an FYI. This is supposed to be a prototype for nationwide. If they can get it to fly all over AZ, ranked number 1 in gun rights it will be all over AZ and all across the country.

For those folks down in Tucson, if you can get enough support down there, we will try to get a meeting room down there and a remote meeting link to the meeting up here.

We haven't discussed this with BLM yet but they did show up rooms up here with remote conferencing capabilities, so it isn't impossible.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

much like any movement to curtail government misuse, it takes a group of like minded people to make a comment that will be listened to or at least considered, its about numbers, and ideas, we all know the long uphill battle we are in for, PERIOD on anything gun related, and its only going to get worse as far as rights, places to use those rights, Arizona is changing, and its due to the liberals moving here and attempting to destroy it like they have their previous area.
Change is inevitable, but it can be managed to a sort by being involved, conversing to appropriate individuals who ''may'' have an impact.

the disapointing part here is, over 250 views and half dozen comments with maybe a couple two or three possible members who can or will take the time to discuss the issues. the lack of interest is overwhelming for any attempt to stem the regulations, let alone on this issue, but rights in general, kinda expected as we discussed this, hoping that that ''switch'' would turn on and many would see the important stand to take, not only on this issue, but gun rights, AZCDL, needs members, volunteers, and yet, we are still a small group fighting for the many.
Guess the American way will eventually slide by the wayside, as many stand by and hope, and claim others will do the lifting.
Rj,
Modify message
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

And here is the reason we lose every fight we enter. The idiocy amongst us:

(From another board with the same request for help)
waterdog wrote: I hope you geniuses did your homework. I am going to suggest you guys cover your license plates or ride a bike when attending.
Feds love it when they can get all their ducks in one small pond :-)
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

I'll meet for brainstorming and with the BLM if I'm in town.
Just an initial idea but since most people want to shoot away from other people and at pistol / near rifle distances the easiest thing to construct, at least initially, would be some number of narrow-ish berm separated 25 yard shooting positions. Like the practical pistol / CCW class ranges at Avery only narrower. Scraped flat to make it easier to use a front loader / bobcat to pick up the inevitable trash that would accumulate. Just bare ground would be fine, most people bring folding tables and pop-up canopies for shade. Maybe port-a-jons to avoid feces accumulation.
There used to be a gun club and range in N. Phx, north east of the transfer station, sorry, can't remember the name of it. I recall that being something like 100-200 yards long (they had High Power shoots periodically,) surrounded by berms with the target end backing up on a gravel operation. That had covered shooting tables but, as above, most people bring their own and simpler would be better.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

aroyobob wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 8:05 am I'll meet for brainstorming and with the BLM if I'm in town.
please message me with your contact info, text and email.

F Y I.

We've already given BLM a couple priorities,
open the desert they inappropriately close.
make their current ranges more practical for desert shooters.
make their current ranges safer since they are currently unsafe.
do not close additional outdoor shooting areas in the future unless the above
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

YNOTAZ wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 1:15 pm F Y I.

We've already given BLM a couple priorities,
open the desert they inappropriately close.
make their current ranges more practical for desert shooters.
make their current ranges safer since they are currently unsafe.
do not close additional outdoor shooting areas in the future unless the above
OK, sounds good.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Ca'mon folks, with all the views and not many committments to perhaps assist, amazingly the interest is under whelming, don't get it, don't know if you can change or effect any of it, unless it tried, the lack of interested is surprising, but what does one know.
thanks to those that have added something positive and joined in
Rj
Doc

Post by Doc »

Perhaps a dinner is in order?
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

thom

Post by thom »

I'm interested, even though I rarely shoot outside anymore.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I haven't responded because I really don't know what I could add.
Other than shooting trap and skeet , the only times I have been to an established shooting range was in the military and that was over 40 years ago. Other than that , I have never fired a pistol or rifle at an established shooting range in my life.
So other than just a body , what could I add ?