Caliber Consolidation and Purging Guns

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
brandyspaw
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Caliber Consolidation and Purging Guns

Post by brandyspaw »

Do you have any concerns about consolidating calibers? I was getting ready to go shooting the other day and realized that, lately, I always seem to take the same guns along in the same calibers. I have a bunch of other guns that rarely get taken to the range. I guess this started with the ammo and reloading component shortages resulting in the availability of the more common (or popular) stuff such as 9mm and 223.

Looking at it objectively, I guess I should purge many of those guns I rarely shoot. However, every time I've culled guns in the past to do caliber consolidations and/or purge safe queens I've come to regret it. Eventually I usually wound up re-buying many of them again. So I've gotten to the point of really not caring about consolidating calibers or of having a purpose for every gun I own. Perhaps I should.

Jay Gee

Re: Caliber Consolidation and Purging Guns

Post by Jay Gee »

Funny, I'm thinking about diversifying my calibers. I don't have a .357 or a .45, I used to have both and I regret selling them. I have 3 9mm pistols I should sell (and keep 3) but it's hard to do. I used to have GAS, Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, now I have GAS, Gun Acquisition Syndrome. It's a sickness and probably symptomatic of some deeper psychological thing. But, f*** it. As long as I can afford it...
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I went in the direction of consolidation mostly because I didnt want to reload for several different cartridges. Sold off my 45's and 9mm's.

Come to pass .. bought another 45 because I missed shooting 45 and bought a 9 because its just fun. If you have them they are not costing you anything to keep them.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

I got rid of my .357 revolvers, no regrets doing so, I just didn't want anything in that caliber, and still don't. I decided anything I own has to be common, and even the 9x18 Mak is still pretty common. No weird or wildcat calibers that take special magazines. I do have conversion barrels for my Glocks for wierd rounds, but they fit in the same mags. That being said, I did purchase another revolver, A Taurus Judge, simply because it fits my living situation and won't over penetrate. No mags to get, but finding ammo for it was a b****.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

It may be appropriate but would probably depend on the situation. I don't really see the point for example of owning two nearly identical guns, just in slightly different calibers. But I'm not going to sell off a nice AK47 just so I can only have 9mm and .223.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Jay Gee wrote: March 26th, 2023, 12:49 pm I used to have GAS, Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, now I have GAS, Gun Acquisition Syndrome. It's a sickness and probably symptomatic of some deeper psychological thing. But, f*** it. As long as I can afford it...
Yeah, I've done this with my guitar collection as well. Also, with my tools, car collections, 4wd's, etc. Its always the same. I'll sometimes get rid of things to either simplify or to recoup. However, in the end, I may gain a bit more cash but usually once my stuff gets sold I eventually buy my toys back again--only next time they're more costly.

About the only valid reason I can really think of is to purge stuff so my wife won't have so much stuff to get deal with after I go toes up. Otherwise, I have to agree--f**k it; as the money spent on my toys is fairly small amount relatively speaking.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Nope... My approach is to work to having as much diversity as possible, including all of the major / common calibers and working out from there... :-)