German national police ditch 10,000 MP5s for rifles

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

German national police ditch 10,000 MP5s for rifles

Post by Suck My Glock »

The article is in German and I can't find a way to translate it here for you;...but the gist of it is that the Bundespolizei seek to replace their MP5s with "medium caliber" rifles,...which I take to mean 5.56 or similar caliber carbines. The official tender has not yet been put forth, so nothing is set in stone.

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland ... aetze.html

Depending on how quickly this occurs, I suppose the Ukrainians might receive 10,000 or so MP5s next year.

xerts1191

Re: German national police ditch 10,000 MP5s for rifles

Post by xerts1191 »

IMG_6304.JPG
IMG_6304.JPG (11.67 KiB) Viewed 875 times
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

part 1
Just obsolete, now sorted out - federal police are preparing for anti-terrorist operations

The agency plans to purchase new mid-range weapons. The submachine guns are designed to render attackers harmless even at long range. The old MP5s from the manufacturer Heckler & Koch were recently modernized at great expense. Now they will be replaced.
Advertisement

The Federal Police is about to make one of the largest firearms investments in its history: the security agency wants to replace its approximately 10,000 MP5 submachine guns manufactured by Heckler & Koch in the near future. "An invitation to tender is currently being prepared," confirmed a spokesman for the Federal Police when asked by WELT AM SONNTAG (The World on Sunday - the news org.)

The planned investment is causing discussions in the Federal Police. Because the MP5 were only retrofitted a few years ago. The authority could have saved this money if the weapons had been completely replaced earlier, according to the police union (GdP).

According to information from WELT AM SONNTAG, by replacing the MP5 with new so-called medium-range weapons, the federal police want to arm themselves in particular for anti-terrorist operations. According to police sources, the new rifles should also be able to eliminate attackers with bulletproof vests over long distances. A spokesman for the Federal Police confirmed that the new weapon system should have "increased performance data".
Last edited by aroyobob on March 7th, 2023, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

part 2

The Heckler & Koch MP5 is therefore probably on the verge of extinction, at least with the federal police. It is currently the most widely used submachine gun by the German police authorities. It is used, for example, in hostage, amok or terrorist situations. In 1977, police officers from the GSG-9 special unit used the MP5 in the Somali capital of Mogadishu to free the Lufthansa plane “Landshut” that had been hijacked by Palestinian terrorists.

In 2018, the federal police had their MP5 extensively retrofitted. Among other things, the weapons received new sights. The costs amounted to around three million euros. There were also costs for adapting the transport and storage systems and for retraining the emergency services who operate with the MP5.

In view of the age of the MP5 of up to 30 years and the comparatively low penetration of the weapon, retrofitting was questioned even then. The federal police, on the other hand, confirmed that the MP5 was “reliable” and met the requirements. "After the upgrade, it will remain so for many years," said a press release from the authority. The attachments could “reused in the future”.

Federal police defend the retrofit

The Federal Police evasively answered the question of whether the expensive retrofitting was not a mistake in view of the replacement that is now planned. "The conversion of the MP5 served to upgrade this weapon system," said a spokesman for the authority. "The application value could thus be significantly increased."

On request, however, the federal police admitted that a number of the attachments retrofitted at the time could "no longer be used" after the planned replacement of the MP5. Only the retrofitted target optics can continue to be used "if they meet the current requirements of the Federal Police".

As early as 2016, the GdP called for the MP5 to be replaced in favor of new medium-range weapons. The expensive "pretty" of the old submachine guns brought little. "In my function as a staff councillor, I really tried everything to prevent this," said trade union spokesman Steffen Ludwar. With the introduction of the new police rifle, the medium-distance weapon, the GdP requirements would now be met. “The federal police are on the right track here,” said Ludwar.

The Federal Ministry of the Interior is aware of the Federal Police's plans for replacing the MP5, as the authority informed this editorial team on request. According to a spokesman, the financing is to be “taken from the budget funds allocated to the Federal Police”. However, no information can currently be given on the amount of funding for individual investments.
OMart

Post by OMart »

I would like to open my home to these poor, unwanted MP5's. They will be well loved and cared for.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

If their politicians didnt allow the muslim mudslide to come into their country maybe they could get by with what has worked for years. I think a giant enema would fix the terrorism problems there.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Can we buy all of the MP5s with the foreign aid we already send them and sell the MP5s through CMP?

Asking for a friend.
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

I heard that they are going to replace them with an MP7 variant chambered in .30 Super Carry 😆