Has fedEx changed its shipping rules?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Has fedEx changed its shipping rules?

Post by Boriqua »

I know I have sent guns directly to companies for warranty work or to out of state gunsmiths in the past. Has that changed? Can you only ship through an FFL now?
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/ho ... earms.html
Shippers with a Federal Firearm License

Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

Nonlicensee shippers

Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.

BigNate

Re: Has fedEx changed its shipping rules?

Post by BigNate »

When I asked about shipping one to an out of state FFL - the guy at the FedEx store told me that they only accept shipments of guns from FFLs that have registered with them. I took it to a local FFL and they told me I could box it up and send it via FedEx without announcing what it was - but their price to do it for me was close enough to what I was going to spend (and it was an expensive gun that I wanted insured) that I had them do it...
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Fedex doesn't need to know what's in the box. Machine parts is close enough. Never use a 3rd party, e.g. UPS Store, to ship a gun...print the label at home and drop it off at a FedEx hub.
mock0013

Post by mock0013 »

QuietM4 wrote: February 21st, 2023, 5:10 pm Fedex doesn't need to know what's in the box. Machine parts is close enough. Never use a 3rd party, e.g. UPS Store, to ship a gun...print the label at home and drop it off at a FedEx hub.
yeah no lie here.. the UPS stores totally freaked when I tried to send a gun back to a manufacture... they are independently owned and it can't be stored there or shipped back to my UPS store PO box. Canceled my PO box with them. worthless.. yeah you have to go to the hub
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Yes - they recently changed rules shipping firearms and not for the better.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

That is a bummer. I thought maybe I was misunderstanding. So if you send a gun in for warranty work you have to find an FFL willing to ship it? That would suck.

If the company you are sending your gun to provides a shipping label can you simply drop it off at a hub? How about an out of state gunsmith with a provided label?

The only ffl I knew near me that shipped closed up shop and I moved to far away to use Mont if he is even still doing his ffl thing. Damnit!
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

See what Emily has to say.

leadman1

Post by leadman1 »

I sent a rifle to Savage in November. Savage had e-mailed me a copy of their FFL and a shipping label. Dropped it off at 7st & Greenway store with no problem. Guy just asked me if Savage sent me the label.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

Christensen Arms sent me a pick up label for one of my guns but, they insisted I have a FFL for them to send it back. As a FFL I have sent things fedx through a third party store without going through their process but, it was a FFL to FFL shipment.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Cmoor wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 10:06 pm Christensen Arms sent me a pick up label for one of my guns but, they insisted I have a FFL for them to send it back.
That is interesting because I always had warranty guns and stuff I sent to out of state gunsmiths come back directly to me. Its been a while however.

Did the law change in AZ and now any return items have to go to an FFL rather than being sent direct or was that just Christensen Arms rules?
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

QuietM4 wrote: February 21st, 2023, 5:10 pm Fedex doesn't need to know what's in the box. Machine parts is close enough. Never use a 3rd party, e.g. UPS Store, to ship a gun...print the label at home and drop it off at a FedEx hub.
Pretty sure I quietly learned those words "machine parts" from you years ago. It's so truthful!!!
Haven't had warranty work done in a while, but company sends a label (always has been FX) and I drop it off at the fedex dysart location.
I work at (turning liberal) UPS Goodyear and when I give them returns for the family, they've started going, "what's in the box."
I say, "it says J Crew on the box, it must be clothes, I dunno, I just do what I'm told. (Up to a point, HAHA)
They sure ain't liberal when it comes to their profits tho.
Cbvanb
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Cbvanb »

I’m curious what FedEx will do if they discover the box of machine parts is actually a gun, while it’s still in their possession. Return it to the sender, refuse to release it, call the ATF?
leadman1

Post by leadman1 »

My rifle came directly back to me via Fed-ex about a week ago. Would have been nice if Savage had actually fixed it instead of making it worse.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

So even if an FFL sends me a shipping label .. I cant drop it off at Fed ex? Does it still have to be picked up at an ffl and do they still have to put it on their books before sending it?

Does anyone know any FFL's that ship just in case?

Thinking about sending a gun out for work. The receiver will send me a label but I dont know if that is enough
Cbvanb

Post by Cbvanb »

This appears to be a good option: https://www.shipmygun.com