Colt revolver Ques?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Colt revolver Ques?

Post by Boriqua »

Got this in an Eflyer and I wont say I am not tempted. Its expensive and it would be a stretch financially but I dont think I have seen to many guns as beautiful as this one. Thing is .. wasnt there some issue with Colt the company? I remember hearing something .. Who covers any warranty on these? Wont lie .. the pix at the link gave me a bit of wood

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/han ... w+Arrivals

AZHTfreak

Re: Colt revolver Ques?

Post by AZHTfreak »

You have no worries on the warranty, CZ aquired Colt in early 2021. And yes, the 3" is dead sexy!

https://www.guns.com/news/2021/02/12/it ... uires-colt

https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=colt%20sP3WTS
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Arizona Firearms in Tempe had a new 3" Colt Python in stock for $1469 early this week. At that time they also had a both a new and a used 4" barreled Python as well. At least that way you can look the gun over in person. A semi-auto that doesn't have much hand fitting doesn't make much difference when ordering online but for revolvers I always prefer to look over the gun in person before hand.

BTW-Those Pythons are tempting despite the high cost of them even though I've always been a S&W fan. They do seem to be finally softening on the prices, as all guns are, since the economy is slipping in the dumps.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

I handled a couple of them when they first came out and was not impressed based on the price.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

A friend of mine bought three of these in different barrel lengths.
They are pretty , but still not what I would spend my money on.
Then again , I have never been a big fan of Colt pistols.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

I stumbled on 2 686 CS-1 from the Janet Reno era. Fine revolvers sadly they cost about the same a new colt these days.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

IMG_3579.GIF
IMG_3579.GIF (486.26 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

My only real concern with this purchase .. should I stretch for it is ... can you ever get your money back at that price. I'm in the final count down on life expectancy and have to face the fact that at some point I may want to sell off most of my guns instead of leaving my wife to do it after I go.

Now I know we don't have a known expiration date but I have been able to pull most of my money back out of every gun I decided to sell.

At $1500 ... I dont think you get your money back out. Revolvers are kind of niche now and I'm not sure if in 8-10 years it would command anywhere near $1500. Thoughts? Am I wrong and this will maintain its value. Im not a collector and I would shoot it of course and expect a usage ding but .... I dont think the second hand market will be strong for this.

Of course I can just know going in that its going to take a lose but I am going to enjoy its ownership
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

It's hard to make predictions -- especially about the future. (attributed to Yogi Berra)

IMO, the 3" Python is cool, but not $1500 cool. I believe it is the perfect gun for somebody who thinks the money is well spent on lifetime enjoyment, with no expectation of getting the original price out of it when it is sold, either during life, or after.

Let's say your widow gets only $800 out of it when you die. If a difference of $700 would materially affect your widow's standard of living, then you have a bigger problem; you need to review your estate planning. Buy some insurance; increase your IRA/401k contributions.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

smithers599 wrote: February 19th, 2023, 11:08 am It's hard to make predictions -- especially about the future. (attributed to Yogi Berra)

IMO, the 3" Python is cool, but not $1500 cool. I believe it is the perfect gun for somebody who thinks the money is well spent on lifetime enjoyment, with no expectation of getting the original price out of it when it is sold, either during life, or after.

Let's say your widow gets only $800 out of it when you die. If a difference of $700 would materially affect your widow's standard of living, then you have a bigger problem; you need to review your estate planning. Buy some insurance; increase your IRA/401k contributions.
Not really looking at it as an investment but I try not to get into to many things going in that I know are going to lose money. Probably why I still drive a 20 yr old car.

More curious to see what others think about it holding its resale value. I kinda think its priced at a point where you cant recoup most of it back but .. I'm not sure. Actually kind of think you may take a bath on resale.

I look at something like my Ruger GP100 that I bought for $500 and know I can pull that back out on resale even though I have played with it. I think that python might be just a scootch high.

Still tempted though!
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

xerts1191 wrote: February 18th, 2023, 5:24 pm
DoIt.GIF
DoIt.GIF (486.26 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
I concur.
DoYouConcur.gif
DoYouConcur.gif (316.83 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
AZHTfreak

Post by AZHTfreak »

I'll have a really happy grandkid way after I'm room temp...
OMart

Post by OMart »

I sell every Python and Anaconda I can get my hands on but, for some reason no one seems to have an interest in King Cobras. Almost a $600 difference too.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

There will always be a market for these Colt Snake Guns. Buy stuff that makes you happy today. Right now Colt can't make enough of these to keep up with demand. So the prices will stay high. I had a 6" i bought used, a 4" i bought used and now picked up one of the new ones AZ firearms had in 3". The 3" is my favorite. I paid more for the used 6" 3 years ago than i did for the new 3". paid 100 less for the 4". If you keep it long enough the value will be there. Guns never keep up with inflation except in very rare cases. They really are pretty nice revolvers and 1600.00 aint what it used to be. But to each his own.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

damnit .. cant get that gun out of my mind. Now that I am old and married 24 years .. the things that get me excited arent hot young babes but .. awesome guns and motorcycles. Its sad!

I dont have any credit card debt, house payments or car payments .. might have to reach my very short arm into my pocket and see if there is $1500 down in there!!!