Thoughts on a Group Shoot and Site Cleanup Day (now with Poll)?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!

Which Day(s) can you do a morning desert range cleanup?

3/11/2023
20%
3/18/2023
50%
3/25/2023
30%

Total votes: 10

BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Thoughts on a Group Shoot and Site Cleanup Day?

Post by BigNate »

Thanks guys... added to the list.

BigNate

Post by BigNate »

OK all...
@delta6
@Jay Gee
@AZgnu 007
@BigNate
@Tenring
@zonie77
@jnojr I know you said East Valley - adding you just in case...

I've found a spot that has a decent chunk of garbage to clean up. This is just a bit west of Lake Pleasant on the south side of Carefree Highway. It is not the worst I've ever seen - but it's got plenty to pick up and was the most "target rich" place I found when I went out exploring on Saturday. Most of the stuff is old and quite broken down - it will be a lot of rake and shovel work (as opposed to big stuff like intact appliances). The last couple of pictures show the extended target area. Nothing huge but plenty of small debris, spray paint cans, propane bottles, etc. and lots of what looks like decomposing particle board, plastic chunks, glass, etc. I'm guessing that we can fill a small dump trailer or build a pretty good mound on a flatbed.
20230225_145127 - Copy.jpg
20230225_144230 - Copy.jpg
20230225_144225 - Copy.jpg
20230225_144225 z.jpg
If anyone has a "better" (as in "more / bigger crap there") spot - please chime in. Happy to go where the best junk is - but want to get this rolling.

Targeting Saturday morning - 3/11, 3/18, or 3/25. Please let me know which of these you can or can't make.

If anyone has access to a dump trailer that would be fantastic - otherwise I'll put some short walls on my flatbed. I'll bring heavy bags, a big ice chest with water, and of course the shooting stuff. My thought is to get out early - clean for a couple of hours - and then shoot until folks want to go home. This site has a nice spot at about 200 meters from the shooting spot that can be driven to to hang steel - and plenty of room to shoot shorter range stuff.

We hung a big silhouette here (red circle) and my very antiquated pace count tells me that it was about 200 meters from the tables...
20230225_144225V.jpg
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Poll added.
Jay Gee

Re: Thoughts on a Group Shoot and Site Cleanup Day (now with Poll)?

Post by Jay Gee »

Here is an area by 195th Ave and Deer Valley Rd. If it works. It's not the worst area I've seen but it does need a clean. I can only make it on the 11th and I could go somewhere else if the group decides.

Attachments
Area 1.jpg
Area3.jpg
Area 2.jpg
Area 1.jpg
Area 1.jpg
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

I live in Mesa but can go wherever to help out.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Jay Gee wrote: February 27th, 2023, 2:02 pm Here is an area by 195th Ave and Deer Valley Rd. If it works. It's not the worst area I've seen but it does need a clean. I can only make it on the 11th and I could go somewhere else if the group decides.

And rather conveniently, this is right near the dump on Deer Valley Rd. In fact, I think a lot of trash in the area is from folks who don't make it to the front gates before closing time, and just head out to nearby open areas and dump schit.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Jay Gee wrote: February 27th, 2023, 2:02 pm Here is an area by 195th Ave and Deer Valley Rd. If it works. It's not the worst area I've seen but it does need a clean. I can only make it on the 11th and I could go somewhere else if the group decides.

That place looks like it needs it worse than the place that I found... and it's probably about the same drive. Can you PM me a pin / coordinates for it and I'll go take a look this week...

Thanks...
Jay Gee

Post by Jay Gee »

Suck My Glock wrote: February 27th, 2023, 8:56 pm

And rather conveniently, this is right near the dump on Deer Valley Rd. In fact, I think a lot of trash in the area is from folks who don't make it to the front gates before closing time, and just head out to nearby open areas and dump schit.
There is a lot of junk here and there out in this area but the spot I'm looking at is all shooting trash. Lazy dumpers don't go that far in.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Ok but if we go to Surprise, I am also volunteering my Son to help, he lives there.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

I will not be back in time for any of those dates. I am up starting in April.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

OK - It looks like 3/18 is the day. We'll be going to one of the two sites listed - both in the N/W valley. @delta6 - were you able to get out there (to the Deer Valley location)? If so - how does it look? I've not been able to get out there yet - so unless delta6 did - I'll do that this weekend. If it looks like it does in the pictures - we'll be going there. Once we finalize the location I'll put together a schedule and get it posted.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Created a fresh thread for the 3/18 cleanup...

https://www.arizonashooting.org/forum/v ... 92#p150292
jnojr

Post by jnojr »

Shoot, I'm not getting email updates to at-mentions. Gotta check settings. I hope everyone had a good time, and hopefully I can make the next one!