Thoughts on a Group Shoot and Site Cleanup Day (now with Poll)?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!

Which Day(s) can you do a morning desert range cleanup?

3/11/2023
20%
3/18/2023
50%
3/25/2023
30%

Total votes: 10

BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Thoughts on a Group Shoot and Site Cleanup Day (now with Poll)?

Post by BigNate »

I saw the post about cleaning up a shooting spot ( I Cleaned Up Your Mess Today, Slob! ) and it made me think:

"Self... why don't you see if there's a group here interested in picking a popular shooting spot, getting out there with a trailer or two and some rakes, cleaning up the spot, and maybe doing some shooting..."

So - anyone interested in getting together to do something like this?

If there is interest - chime in here and let us know:
1) If you can bring a truck / trailer
2) If you have a suggestion for a spot that needs cleanup
3) How far you are willing to travel to participate.

If there is enough interest, we can pick a date and place - preferably before it gets stupid hot. I'd think that we'd want to find a spot that has large bulk trash (appliances, tires, etc. stuff not easy to haul out if you aren't prepared for it).

I'll start: Yes - I'm interested. I have a truck and a flatbed trailer - and a couple of strong 20-something sons that I can probably bring along. I'm on the north side of the valley and usually shoot at one of a few spots N/E of Carefree Highway and I-17 - but I'm happy to go anywhere within a 20 -30 miles of "the valley." If there is a bunch of interest from guys in Queen Creek and the spot is up on the base of the superstitions - I'll get there. There are a couple of spots where I shoot that could use some cleanup - but the one that used to be really filthy (appliances, etc.) got cleaned up a while ago. I'll be out shooting this weekend and will do some scouting for nasty spots. If we do it - I'll pay the landfill fee.
Last edited by BigNate on February 27th, 2023, 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

kenpoprofessor

Re: Thoughts on a Group Shoot and Site Cleanup Day?

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Years back, RJ organized a big cleanup at Church Rd when it was outstandingly bad. Not two week later, s*** was piling up again. We had a bunch of folks out there with bags and RJs flatbed trailer.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Sad but true
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Yeah - I don't expect that folks will clean up after themselves - it would be nice - but turds are turds. I'm still up to do some cleanup and think it would be a fun excuse for a small group shoot...
delta6

Post by delta6 »

We have had a number of clean up's on Church Road..and 2 different sites..(before the government took over :doh: )
And a group in my neighborhood that we do regular clean-ups: "Don’t Dump in Our Desert - North Valley"

IMG_5243-1.jpg
IMG_5229-1.jpg
Don’t Dump in Our Desert - North Valley.jpeg
Doc

Post by Doc »

Instead of a clean up can we do a group event where we shoot “dumpers” in the knees w 22lr’s?

I think that’s the only way to finally end the problem.

It’s just a question.
Jay Gee

Post by Jay Gee »

Seems to be a little bit of "good idea but waste of time" here. I'd be willing to help. I have a truck, a 13 year old son and an old car hauler trailer. There are a few spots right by the Northwest Regional Landfill (195th Ave and Deer Valley Rd) that we shoot at that could use some cleaning though I've seen worse. We usually clean up some when we go there. Just recently I picked up a fridge and hauled it off. Any way, we'd be willing to help (he doesn't know it yet). Don't really want to go as far as Queen Creek but just about anywhere North or West Valley would work.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

kenpoprofessor wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:15 pm Years back, RJ organized a big cleanup at Church Rd when it was outstandingly bad. Not two week later, s*** was piling up again. We had a bunch of folks out there with bags and RJs flatbed trailer.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Took my first drive to Table Mesa Rd yesterday in over 10 years. I have never seen so many shotgun shells on the ground ever out there. Did see a truck with a head bobbing up and down while there as well. The BLM ranges are spotless but whoever designed them has probably never shot before.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

338lapua wrote: February 10th, 2023, 2:00 pm Took my first drive to Table Mesa Rd yesterday in over 10 years. I have never seen so many shotgun shells on the ground ever out there. Did see a truck with a head bobbing up and down while there as well. The BLM ranges are spotless but whoever designed them has probably never shot before.
BLM ranges are coming to Table Mesa road soon. Thats the next planned "improvement". They have already been told about how crappy their current ranges are, but it is government, set you expectations VERY LOW.
Last edited by YNOTAZ on February 11th, 2023, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnojr

Post by jnojr »

Unfortunately, we have two choices:

1) Pick up after the slobs. Watch them grinning and chortling as they dump their crap and laugh as we lick their boots.

2) Ignore, expect them to clean up after themselves, and have shooting areas closed when they don't. Then we lose, and they'll still keep dumping their crap.

I'd try to participate in a cleanup near the East Valley.
AZgnu 007
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by AZgnu 007 »

BigNate wrote: February 7th, 2023, 7:19 am
I'll start: Yes - I'm interested. I have a truck and a flatbed trailer - and a couple of strong 20-something sons that I can probably bring along. I'm on the north side of the valley and usually shoot at one of a few spots N/E of Carefree Highway and I-17 - but I'm happy to go anywhere within a 20 -30 miles of "the valley." If there is a bunch of interest from guys in Queen Creek and the spot is up on the base of the superstitions - I'll get there. There are a couple of spots where I shoot that could use some cleanup - but the one that used to be really filthy (appliances, etc.) got cleaned up a while ago. I'll be out shooting this weekend and will do some scouting for nasty spots. If we do it - I'll pay the landfill fee.
I'm in your general vicinity, and shoot usually at sites West of 17 and 77. Willing to help, have truck and a rake. I also enjoy cool beer after some hard work! :mrgreen:
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Doc wrote: February 10th, 2023, 7:41 am Instead of a clean up can we do a group event where we shoot “dumpers” in the knees w 22lr’s?

I think that’s the only way to finally end the problem.

It’s just a question.
This has some appeal... but would probably not end well... stupid Karen's would get all upset about how unfair it all is...
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

OK - so we've got:
@delta6 N &N/W Valley
@Jay Gee N & N/W Valley
@jnojr East Valley
@AZgnu 007 N/W Valley
@BigNate N & N/W Valley
@Tenring N & N/W Valley
@zonie77 N & N/W Valley

I don't know of any spots in the N/E valley that are not now subdivisions (grew up at Lone Mountain and Scottsdale rd - all the places we used to shoot now have houses on them)... so let's look for a spot that needs cleanup in the N/W corner (sorry jnojr - and thank you - maybe next time we'll drive east?). I'll take any suggestions from folks who find something before I do. I'll be out this weekend looking. Let's plan it for Saturday 3/4, 3/11 or 3/18. If we can get a spot picked this weekend we'll get it posted here.
Last edited by BigNate on February 16th, 2023, 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

BigNate wrote: February 15th, 2023, 12:58 pm OK - so we've got:
@delta6 N &N/W Valley
@Jay Gee N & N/W Valley
@jnojr East Valley
@AZgnu 007 N/W Valley
@BigNate N & N/W Valley

I don't know of any spots in the N/E valley that are not now subdivisions (grew up at Lone Mountain and Scottsdale rd - all the places we used to shoot now have houses on them)... so let's look for a spot that needs cleanup in the N/W corner (sorry jnojr - and thank you - maybe next time we'll drive east?). I'll take any suggestions from folks who find something before I do. I'll be out this weekend looking. Let's plan it for Saturday 3/4, 3/11 or 3/18. If we can get a spot picked this weekend we'll get it posted here.
I live near there now.

I'm interested but I will be gone all through March.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Please put me down for N & NW Valley, I will do my best to make it.