So explain to me this Fudd thing

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: So explain to me this Fudd thing

Post by Boriqua »

Jack Dupp wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 11:36 am Even though Fudds have existed for a long time, the whole calling dudes "Fudds" officially started when gunwriter Jim Zumbo stepped on his own johnson. But now losers throw that term around far too much, and like mentioned, inappropriately and to alienate other gun owners.

"On February 16, 2007, Zumbo published an entry on his blog which read, in part:

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods."
OOOoofff... That doesnt age well at ALL!!

Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

YNOTAZ wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:43 am I am not Mariam Webster and did not stay at a motel 6 last night but I will give my definition of a FUDD. It is a person that looks at the government dealing with firearms issues that they don’t particularly care about, and assuming the inch they give will NOT turn into a mile tomorrow.

Some simple examples with quotes, (some paraphrased) from multiple emails and gun forums, and the best estimate at of the repercussions:

Bump stocks:
“They’re stupid”, “who can afford one with the price of ammo”, “why do you NEED one?”
The ATF estimated there were around 500,000 bump stocks in circulation, the last number I heard was 526 were turned into the ATF, that means they made ½ million American federal felons.

Forced rest trigger:

“They’re stupid”, “who can afford one with the price of ammo”, “you can shoot them accurately” and “why do you NEED one?”.

Some creative individual designed a method to increase the rate of fire of an AR15 to almost match that of an M16 while staying within the express definition, in federal code that separates a machinegun from a rifle.

Approximately 45,000 Americans became felons at this rule change. The courts have issued an injunction against ATF from stopping sales by the developer but did not rescind the ATF definition as a machinegun.

Arm Braces:

“well it is accurate, that’s not what they approved them for”, “If I’m going to do that I will just get a stock”, “who cares I get a free $200 tax stamp”, “Hey for free tax stamps, I will register a bunch of my lowers”

Approximately 40 million Americans became felons on February 1, 2023. Yep, ATF deferred the taxes but the definition of an arm brace being a stock went into effect 2/1/2023.

“High capacity magazines”:

“I’ve been hunting for 40 years and never needed more than 4 rounds in my 30.06 Winchester”, “why do you need to shoot someone that many times?”, “maybe you shouldn’t have a gun if you shoot that crappy”

The issue is NOT that FUDDs don’t own a machinegun, Glock or AR, it’s just that they won’t write a letter, send prewritten emails, join gun support organization, like AZCDL. They summarily dismiss new gun regulation because, "YOU DON’T NEED that", or “I don’t care”, just because they don’t have one and don’t care about protecting firearms rights as a whole.

288397897_387362116757192_5277183915375147080_n.jpg
You get around a lot more than I do Tony but I can say .. I have NEVER even met a person who in my presence expressed those views. Maybe the people I chose to call friends .. who by the way I met via AZS were the right sorts!

I have communicated on forums though where plenty view the things I like to shoot and call me fudd though. Because I am older and appreciate older style of firearms. Damnit I still like DA/SA! In the end I like what I like but it wont stop me from protecting your right to enjoy what you like.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Jack Dupp wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 11:36 am Even though Fudds have existed for a long time, the whole calling dudes "Fudds" officially started when gunwriter Jim Zumbo stepped on his own johnson. But now losers throw that term around far too much, and like mentioned, inappropriately and to alienate other gun owners.

"On February 16, 2007, Zumbo published an entry on his blog which read, in part:

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods."
Ooopss. Bet he wished he could get that one back. HAHAHA
James A. Zumbo (born November 9, 1940) is a firearms and hunting commentator and writer. Until February 2007, he was the hunting editor for Outdoor Life magazine and host of the television program Jim Zumbo Outdoors on The Outdoor Channel. He was removed from both positions after he criticized the use of semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and AK-47 for hunting in his blog
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

Yeah, the backlash from that article was epic.
Every gunboard I was on at the time was calling for his head on a platter, even some of the more “fuddy” ones like the S&W forum.
I think that’s the most attention Outdoor Life magazine and Outdoor network has ever gotten, and it worked.
The real damage is idiots like Zumbo and their antiquated ideas and comments are used by the media and politicians to further their anti gun agenda, citing them as “experts” and quoting them as the voices of the firearms industry/sport.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Boriqua wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 11:50 am I still like DA/SA! In the end I like what I like but it wont stop me from protecting your right to enjoy what you like.
Alex, that's my exact point. My favorite gun to shoot is a Python. I don't own a bump stock and also think they are useless, but I take shelter in that on gun forums, as a reason to not resist the ATF's push to call them a machinegun.

I will and continue to actively resist what I think is stupid because I see it as the camel's nose in the tent, well hell, being honest, the camel is in past its shoulders already, pushing harder and faster.

I personally attribute the word fudd to someone who says I don't need that so who cares or, let's let them have the stupid bump stock (or FRT, or arm brace) and they won't come after my standard capacity mag and modern sporting rifle. I don't care what they shoot, how often, tactical, target, competitive, plinking, hunting, or just collecting, if they do nothing to defend our rights from further government intervention, they're fudds in my book.

By the way, on another local forum, I get bitched at often for even using that word because, I suppose, anyone that belongs to a gun forum can't possibly be a fudd, WRONG!
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Gunslinger808 wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 1:35 pm Yeah, the backlash from that article was epic.
Every gunboard I was on at the time was calling for his head on a platter, even some of the more “fuddy” ones like the S&W forum.
I think that’s the most attention Outdoor Life magazine and Outdoor network has ever gotten, and it worked.
The real damage is idiots like Zumbo and their antiquated ideas and comments are used by the media and politicians to further their anti gun agenda, citing them as “experts” and quoting them as the voices of the firearms industry/sport.
And even after that, some of these asshats, didn't learn:
Longtime gun writer for Guns & Ammo fired for piece questioning 2nd Amendment’s reach....

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... -question/