So explain to me this Fudd thing

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Abbey
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: So explain to me this Fudd thing

Post by Abbey »

Boriqua wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 6:20 pm I dont own higher caliber rifles because its just not my interest. To enjoy a rifle proper would require a range at least 300m or finding a spot in the desert to allow for it and its honestly more work than I want to invest. From what i read most of the available outdoor ranges where you can enjoy a rifle are riff with oppressive nasty RO's and .. just not my thing. I enjoyed shooting rifles at Casa grande but its a haul.

I had my experience with rifles while in the service and my interest is in mostly handguns since its something I carry and have around the house for immediate personal protection.. More power to anyone who enjoys longer range shooting and I might were it not for some of the hoops you have to jump through to enjoy them but .. I can go nearly anywhere and shoot my handguns and the same cant be said for Rifles although .. If I could find a pistol cartridge lever action say in .357 that was reliable .. I would be all over it ... but for the most part I really enjoy mastering handguns and shotgunning.Fast Closer quarter stuff works for me
You don't sound like a Fudd to me, but you also don't sound like you really like guns much. IMO, you have a very close minded idea of what is required to "enjoy a rifle proper". Then you say "Fast Closer quarter stuff works for me". Well, you may be surprised that most people consider an AR carbine the perfect weapon for fast closer quarter stuff. I grew up with the gospel of the 12 guage, but I don't even shoot shotguns anymore because I think that a .223 carbine is superior for almost any close quarter scenario I can come up with.

Anyway, not a Fudd, but I think there are a lot more ways to enjoy guns than you seem to be open to.

My opinion, worth the nothing you paid for it.

QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

Boriqua wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 3:40 pm So .. because I dont own or care to own a Glock or AR or own a brace or bumpstock and I like and appreciate older tech.. does that make me a FUDD?
Only if you see no problem in liberals trying tp pass laws preventing the rest of us to posess those things.

You do know, or are being faceitious, about the old "I support the 2A, but..."
Followed by the usual "hunting", who needs 30 rounds, etc.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

Boriqua wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 6:20 pm I dont own higher caliber rifles because its just not my interest.
Were you ever in the military?
Trained in marksmanship with a 30-06 or .308/7.62mm?

A lot of us were, and continue to enjoy what we were trained with as late teenaged kids.

"Higher caliber" is lib-speak. I think that was conscious parroting of the agenda.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

QuangTri wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 10:08 pm
Boriqua wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 6:20 pm I dont own higher caliber rifles because its just not my interest.
Were you ever in the military?
Trained in marksmanship with a 30-06 or .308/7.62mm?

A lot of us were, and continue to enjoy what we were trained with as late teenaged kids.

"Higher caliber" is lib-speak. I think that was conscious parroting of the agenda.
No 308 when I was in the service. Strictly 5.56. They were a blast and fun to shoot but I find I like older tech for my giggles. Although I shot a buddies FAL and was quickly in love. Should have bought it when he offered!
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I guess where I was going guys is .. I read over and over how if your not shooting the latest "high" speed tactical type gun ... Your a fudd and if you are your discounted from the gun community at large. I think it's a mistake. I'm steadfast in my support of the 2a without compromise or exception. I support everyone's right to own and shoot what they like even if I don't share the same likes.
I will likely never own a gun that has a brace but think it's ludicrous to ban them.

I think finding ways to divide the community when our rights are under attack is stupid but ... There are those that while screaming they support the 2a will hang a name on me because I enjoy different firearms than they do. Sorry .. I like old tech. Enjoy shooting it but keep in mind... You won't find a stronger supporter than I when you need it. We need more people under the tent not less and the word fudd gets thrown around to much here and on other gun boards. I still dont know what the term means.
samnev

Post by samnev »

Well said Boriqua :clap:
thom

Post by thom »

FUDDbig.jpg
Sometimes shooters need pictures, like targets. You are NOT A FUDD.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

thom wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:06 am FUDDbig.jpg

Sometimes shooters need pictures, like targets. You are NOT A FUDD.
LOL .. Thom that might be the best explanation yet!!
It also proves that some people are throwing that term around inappropriately.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

I've seen it used in arguments around 2A issues as a pejorative descriptor of anyone who does not take the most absolutely libertarian view of 2A.

UrbanDictionary.com defines it as:
"Slang term for a "casual" gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called "non sporting" firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt."

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fudd
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Boriqua wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 8:00 am I guess where I was going guys is .. I read over and over how if your not shooting the latest "high" speed tactical type gun ... Your a fudd and if you are your discounted from the gun community at large. I think it's a mistake. I'm steadfast in my support of the 2a without compromise or exception. I support everyone's right to own and shoot what they like even if I don't share the same likes.
I will likely never own a gun that has a brace but think it's ludicrous to ban them.

I think finding ways to divide the community when our rights are under attack is stupid but ... There are those that while screaming they support the 2a will hang a name on me because I enjoy different firearms than they do. Sorry .. I like old tech. Enjoy shooting it but keep in mind... You won't find a stronger supporter than I when you need it. We need more people under the tent not less and the word fudd gets thrown around to much here and on other gun boards. I still dont know what the term means.
The firearms community is no different than any other lifestyle / hobby / interest group. The automotive community is the same exact way. It seems people will find whatever way they can to try and inflate their own image / ego - and revel in their self-perceived "superiority." People thinking they are "better" than someone else on the basis of what something cost / how flashy / or "coolness" of usage isn't anything new.

One of my closest friends is a massive 2a supporter. In his home state, which is very 2a unfriendly - he is a member / organizer / volunteer for several groups fighting the good fight - and I mean fighting. He doesn't just mail off a check. The only reason he doesn't live here full time is because all his family / children / grand children live there. He is retired, and very budget conscience (a little too much IMO, but I get it.) He never buys anything "expensive," and when he is here during the winter he accompanies me to the range weekly. He spends more money on ammo he actually shoots, then guns - which says a lot. A couple weeks ago we were there - and he was shooting his Hi-Point carbine and his Taurus G3 carry gun. There was a group of dudes there in his age group (60s) making some snide comments about him and the firearm - cause they were too stupid to realize with electronic hearing protection you can hear people better. He wasn't paying any attention to them - but I was glancing over occasionally to see how they were shooting, since they were so preoccupied with stroking each other off via making fun of someone else. Funny part was he was out-shooting them quite easily at 7 & 10 yards with the Taurus (They were mostly shooting what appeared to be mid range S&W revolvers / 1911s.) He enjoys the firearms he has, and shoots them all quite well and doesn't let his limited budget bother him - which is the right mentality to have. He probably does 100x more to defend our rights than the whole group of people making fun of him. We just laughed about it, and continued having a good time ignoring them, while they just slowly got more and more aggravated that the dude they were making fun of was making them look a bit silly without even trying. Funny how people don't realize judging people on what they have, and not their ability - is the easiest way to broadcast a deficit of character. I guess I would consider "those dudes" to be one flavor of "fudds." Inflating their own egos by judging a person based on financial investment in a "hobby" - and then being significantly less skilled at the "hobby" then getting noticeably irritated about it.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I am not Mariam Webster and did not stay at a motel 6 last night but I will give my definition of a FUDD. It is a person that looks at the government dealing with firearms issues that they don’t particularly care about, and assuming the inch they give will NOT turn into a mile tomorrow.

Some simple examples with quotes, (some paraphrased) from multiple emails and gun forums, and the best estimate at of the repercussions:

Bump stocks:
“They’re stupid”, “who can afford one with the price of ammo”, “why do you NEED one?”
The ATF estimated there were around 500,000 bump stocks in circulation, the last number I heard was 526 were turned into the ATF, that means they made ½ million American federal felons.

Forced rest trigger:

“They’re stupid”, “who can afford one with the price of ammo”, “you can shoot them accurately” and “why do you NEED one?”.

Some creative individual designed a method to increase the rate of fire of an AR15 to almost match that of an M16 while staying within the express definition, in federal code that separates a machinegun from a rifle.

Approximately 45,000 Americans became felons at this rule change. The courts have issued an injunction against ATF from stopping sales by the developer but did not rescind the ATF definition as a machinegun.

Arm Braces:

“well it is accurate, that’s not what they approved them for”, “If I’m going to do that I will just get a stock”, “who cares I get a free $200 tax stamp”, “Hey for free tax stamps, I will register a bunch of my lowers”

Approximately 40 million Americans became felons on February 1, 2023. Yep, ATF deferred the taxes but the definition of an arm brace being a stock went into effect 2/1/2023.

“High capacity magazines”:

“I’ve been hunting for 40 years and never needed more than 4 rounds in my 30.06 Winchester”, “why do you need to shoot someone that many times?”, “maybe you shouldn’t have a gun if you shoot that crappy”

The issue is NOT that FUDDs don’t own a machinegun, Glock or AR, it’s just that they won’t write a letter, send prewritten emails, join gun support organization, like AZCDL. They summarily dismiss new gun regulation because, "YOU DON’T NEED that", or “I don’t care”, just because they don’t have one and don’t care about protecting firearms rights as a whole.
288397897_387362116757192_5277183915375147080_n.jpg
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

I swear, this is why we can't circle our wagons and get our sh!t together as a whole.

It seems that lately, owning firearms is becoming more and more like Fight Club.
Attachments
first-rule-of-5a331b.jpg
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

cool arrow wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 10:40 am I swear, this is why we can't circle our wagons and get our sh!t together as a whole.

It seems that lately, owning firearms is becoming more and more like Fight Club.
Yep, that is why we are "losing." If this community would accept anyone who believes in the 2a - regardless of race, religion, identity, gender, orientation, and income we wouldn't be in the situation we are in. The "other" side wouldn't have used the same destructive stereotypes against us for decades.

The lack of modernization is the other major issue. The basic lack of leveraging the platforms our "enemies" have embraced added quite a few nails to coffin. I have said it too many times here - adapt or die when it comes to activism.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

dupe
Last edited by paulgt2164 on February 3rd, 2023, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Even though Fudds have existed for a long time, the whole calling dudes "Fudds" officially started when gunwriter Jim Zumbo stepped on his own johnson. But now losers throw that term around far too much, and like mentioned, inappropriately and to alienate other gun owners.

"On February 16, 2007, Zumbo published an entry on his blog which read, in part:

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods."