How much would you give for a '66 6" silver nickel Colt Python?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
kenpoprofessor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: How much would you give for a '66 6" silver nickel Colt Python?

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Abbey wrote: January 30th, 2023, 8:56 am I'm sure most of those high prices were mint collectors pieces. I'll play along with the game and say that I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for a nice shooter (I wouldn't buy a beater but also not in the market for a "sealed in original packaging" unit). But even then, while I'd love to own one it's not the highest priority spend right now.

So there, now we have a floor of $2500. You can probably make an easy $1k profit on top of that by dealing with the hassle from Gunbroker. I have never bought or sold anything on Gunbroker, so I get your reticence to deal with them, but this is the exact kind of item where it's just worth it to list online. Making an extra $50 on a Glock? Not worth it, IMO. Making an extra $1k+ on a Colt? Only you can put a price on your time.

Thank you, that was exactly the sort of response I was hoping for. It's sad the other idiots can't figure it out. Did I overpay? Am I under priced? Am I looking to buy, or sell? None of that was mentioned in my OP, they "AssU MEd" facts they were not told.

Have a great, gun carryin' day

Clyde
Last edited by kenpoprofessor on January 30th, 2023, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I don't know that my response gives you any actionable info though. 1 sample point does not indicate the value in an aggregated market. It's no different than real estate. I might think a property is too expensive to buy, but if someone from out of state is sitting on cash and buys it sight unseen to turn it into an Airbnb, well good luck to them. All I can do is vote with my dollar, adjusted down for inflation.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Abbey wrote: January 30th, 2023, 10:19 am I don't know that my response gives you any actionable info though. 1 sample point does not indicate the value in an aggregated market. It's no different than real estate. I might think a property is too expensive to buy, but if someone from out of state is sitting on cash and buys it sight unseen to turn it into an Airbnb, well good luck to them. All I can do is vote with my dollar, adjusted down for inflation.
Don't overthink this dude, you already answered the question.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:15 am

Thank you, that was exactly the sort of response I was hoping for. It's sad the other idiots can't figure it out. Did I overpay? Am I under priced? Am I looking to buy, or sell? None of that was mentioned in my OP, they "AssU MEd" facts they were not told.

Have a great, gun carryin' day

Clyde
This all coming from a dude that takes a AR15 and spray paints it with chrome spray paint.
It doesn't get any more FUDD than that....

Herpe Derp, Herpe Derp. Herpety Derpety

I've seen pictures(and videos) of you, you even look like a FUDD. A FUDD who looks like they are about to give birth to twin FUDD'S with pony tails and orange construction shirts

Completed auctions on Gunbroker are a good barometer for what someone would pay. And, provides a wide, pool of potential customers.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Rock Hardson wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:30 pm
This all coming from a dude that takes a AR15 and spray paints it with chrome spray paint.

I've seen pictures(and videos) of you, you even look like a FUDD. A FUDD who looks like you are about to give birth to twin FUDD'S

Completed auctions on Gunbroker are a good barometer for what someone would pay. And, provides a wide, pool of potential customers.
And yet you never put your real name to your posts. I am indeed who I say I am, and many can attest to what I'm capable of. And, just for the record, that AR is all chrome and polished aluminum except the magazine and buttstock. It took me almost a year to get all the parts to keep it reasonably priced, and hours to get it to that shine, and it could use more.

You, you're just an idiot posting anonypussy style, with no merits in life but your online gaming .

Clyde
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:41 pm
Rock Hardson wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:30 pm

I've seen pictures(and videos) of you, you even look like a FUDD. A FUDD who looks like you are about to give birth to twin FUDD'S

And yet you never put your real name to your posts. I am indeed who I say I am, and many can attest to what I'm capable of. And, just for the record, that AR is all chrome and polished aluminum except the magazine and buttstock. It took me almost a year to get all the parts to keep it reasonably priced, and hours to get it to that shine, and it could use more.

You, you're just an idiot posting anonypussy style, with no merits in life but your online gaming .

Clyde
I have met many members here, probably 35 of them or more.. In fact, I met one for the first time, in Prescott on Sunday to buy from him. He was a really good guy. Most people here are.
Oh, and I'm not a gamer.
Last edited by Rock Hardson on January 30th, 2023, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Rock Hardson wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:47 pm
I have met many members here, probably 35 of them. In fact, I met one for the first time, in Prescott on Sunday to buy from him. He was a really good guy. Most people here are.
Oh, and I'm not a gamer.
I've also bought lots of things from members here, and, many more know me from the OC dinners we used to do. Look, you got nothing, you're probably part of that INCEL group.

Clyde
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:53 pm
Rock Hardson wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:47 pm
I have met many members here, probably 35 of them. In fact, I met one for the first time, in Prescott on Sunday to buy from him. He was a really good guy. Most people here are.
Oh, and I'm not a gamer.
I've also bought lots of things from members here, and, many more know me from the OC dinners we used to do. Look, you got nothing, you're probably part of that INCEL group.

Clyde
I definitely would be part of that INCEL group if I had a pony tail(and a bald spot), my own parking space at Golden Corral and ate there every night, drove a Honda Ridgeline, and told everyone what an azzhole I am, when everybody could already tell the obvious.

I wouldn't only be a member, I would be the president of The Incel Group...

But, I'm none of those things
WhiteDragon

Post by WhiteDragon »

[peeks head in curiously]
Attachments
1275937249093s.jpg
1275937249093s.jpg (11.15 KiB) Viewed 829 times
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Those older Pythons do bring $3000 plus for nice ones which to me is just obscenely overpriced. I had a couple Pythons back in the late seventies and early eighties when they were cheaper. While they're visually appealing I've just never been overly impressed with shooting them.

I do have to admit I'm biased since since I've always been a S&W fanboy. However, if you look at it objectively a person can buy a set of Smith M686's for less than one Python these days. Long before the escalated prices of today's Pythons I decided I'd rather have Smith 686's for my mid frame 357 revolvers.
I went with this set of no-dash Model 686's, all from the early eighties.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

WhiteDragon wrote: January 30th, 2023, 6:40 pm [peeks head in curiously]
20230130_210224.jpg
Attachments
20230130_205840.jpg
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

For me the answer is "less than they are going for..." I buy shooters and buying a $3000 revolver is not in the cards for me because that puts it in "collector" territory. There is no way that I'm going to get 3X the enjoyment or function out of a '66 Colt Python than I would out of other ways to spend $3000 on guns. When a gun gets into the place where a bunch of its value is "collector" value - I general stop being a buyer. Now - if / when I have the cash to buy an M-60 as a collector / shooter - well - then I'm a player - but that's because the dollar to fun ratio justifies being a "collector" of that gun (not that it will happen any time soon... but...)

Also - I've used data found here: https://truegunvalue.com/ as well as the previously mentioned Gunbroker searches to help me set what I think is a fair price for a gun (as a buyer or seller). You have to dig in a bit - look at what actually sold and didn't. Asking prices give one indication of value - but prices on those that actually sell are the better indicator.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

WhiteDragon wrote: January 30th, 2023, 6:40 pm [peeks head in curiously]
Meme Aquisition.jpg
Thank you for sharing...

:-)