Bullpup advice

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
AZDESERTRAT
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Bullpup advice

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

Always been an ar/ak guy but ever since I sold my keltec rdb due to its terrible mag release I’ve been jonesing to try out a better bullpup. I have loosely narrowed it down to a aug a3 m1 nato or a hellion. Watched MACs comparison videos but still can’t decide which route to go. Leaning towards the aug but he states it’s a poor suppressor host. Will def run suppressed mostly and run a 1-4x optic. Looking for some real world opinions on the 2, suppressor wise and in general. Thx in advance!

paulgt2164

Re: Bullpup advice

Post by paulgt2164 »

I don't run my Aug suppressed - but I have been really happy with it. I bought the NATO version as I don't mind using the charging handle and wanted the easier mag release.

A few things to note about the Aug is the trigger isn't as bad as they make it out to be. Now, that being said - it isn't great. There are a few aftermarket fixes. I bought a ratworx 20/20 sear but had issues with it (it is known some guns double with it - and mine does) so I ordered (and am waiting) on the lighter spring kit from Steyr-USA and will probably pick up an additional old trigger pack to try the sear again with.

GarandThumb's review on the Aug - he shoots it quite a bit suppressed and doesn't mention anything about any issues doing so. I generally find MAC is a bit of a drama queen and I am convinced he drums up 90% of his issues with guns for clickbait.

The big thing to consider when choosing what version Aug - is obviously the NATO or normal pattern. You will lose the bolt release on the NATO version and have to resort to the charging handle - however you do gain a mag release button in it's place (that is easier to use than the paddle IMO) in addition to the paddle on the bottom of the stock.There are two companies that make aftermarket mag paddles (Covus Defensio, which you can get from Steyr USA, and Manticore.) If you really want the ease of a bolt release then you have to go with the non-nato version. Steyr mags are cheap, and the magpuls are as well. If you pick the wrong version and regret it later - there isn't an easy/cheap way to swap as far as I know.

I have mine setup with a Vortex UH1 w/ flip up 3x magnifier and have been quite happy with the accuracy. It isn't a 1 MOA gun, but it seems to be about as accurate as any of my other 16" 223 semi-autos. At some point I will probably throw one of the LVPOs I have on it just to see exactly what it groups at 100. So far I have approx 1500 rounds through mine (I have had it two weeks) and it has been 100% reliable with both brass and steel case (minus the doubling caused by the aftermarket sear.)

I think my favorite part of the gun is obviously the looks, how compact it is - and how easy it is to disassemble. I also like the recoil impulse more than that of my ARs, Sig556s, etc. They were really thinking when they designed the Aug.

I haven't shot a Hellion yet - it was on my list of consideration, however after handling a couple it just couldn't get past how "busy" the gun is. There are adjustments and doo-dads everywhere and that was a turn-off for me.I like the Tavor - but I don't find it is comfortable as the Aug and I have a few buddies with them and they have some weird accuracy quirks (nothing debilitating, just some odd behaviors.)

Also, as an FYI - Atlantic Firearms has either version of the Aug on sale for 1630 + 30 shipping and they don't charge tax. That was by far the cheapest I have found them recently (and why I bought one.)

AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

Thank you for the thorough review! I wasn’t aware of the loss of bolt release with the nato version. I don’t mind the cost of aug specific mags but I struggle with keeping all the similar
Mags separate (like 5.56/5.45 for aks) so I’d prob go with the nato version. Agree the hellions busy but being a big guy I liked the adjustable pull of the stock. Aug is by far the best looking imo. Saw the Atlantic sale. Def got me spun up on this topic again!
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Where the bolt release is on the non-NATO version, there is a small "button" that is a mag release you can see in my picture, so you have to kinda pick your poison.

I bought mine because it is so iconic. I remember seeing them in TV shows like SeaQuest, Stargate, etc - and of course movies like Die Hard and Expendables 3. It isn't my "go to" in case war were declared - but it is still a perfectly serviceable, functional, and tactically viable rifle if it came down to it - and it is fun to shoot.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

I've got three bullpups, a Tavor TS12, a Tokarev AR12, and a Ruger 10/22, and I have no need or want for a rifle in that configuration.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

It’s def diff and not for everyone. Won’t be my go to but want a scoped rifle in a shorter non nfa config for my nm camping trips
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Funnily enough, I downloaded the newest issue of Recoil Magazine and they have an article on Aug modifications - and they specifically mention there are different gas plugs/regulator to tune the gas system for use with a suppressor.

Might be useful to research since you mention running it suppressed, which led me to this : https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/auggasregulator
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

I’ll check it out. Ty
mock0013

Post by mock0013 »

I have the the original Tavor not the x95(which can have some of the accuracy issues depending which one you get). Gearworx makes a curved buttpad which improves the ergo's immensely. The Geissele trigger pack and the Geissele connector definitely improve the trigger. Runs great with a can (556 and 9mm). The Tavor in 9mm is a killer suppressor host .. tack driver with zero kick so much fun.

Definitely a little heavier than the Aug, and better trigger. Never had any failures yet as I still haven't cleaned the guns and a testament on how robust the piston system is on the 556 and blowback is on the 9mm. Tons of 3rd party cool stuff. aftermarket folding charging levers transports in bags better

That's pretty great to know about the NATO aug losing the bolt release.. but so great that it takes nato magazines..
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

I've had an Aug and MSAR with most recently a tavor. Of the 3 I would take the aig or msar over the tavor. Felt more comfortable to shoot. I don't recall much difference in the aug and msar I had, however the msar used ar mags when my aig used proprietary. So I liked the msar best from that standpoint.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

Appreciate all the feed back. I think functionally and aesthetically, with the addition of the suppressor gas adjuster, the nato AUG is going to get a shot.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

For anyone following this thread I did some more reading and the nato version uses a single trigger bar vs the double trigger bar on the proprietary version apparently contributing to the poor trigger reports, along with prior noted loss of bolt release w nato. FYI
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

For what it is worth, I have shot both and honestly the triggers felt the same. But you are correct, the NATO version has one bar, and non NATO has two.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

Good feedback. Appreciate it although Even more torn now. 😂