Are you too scared, unconfident, or untrained to carry a gun in public?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
aroyobob
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Are you too scared, unconfident, or untrained to carry a gun in public?

Post by aroyobob »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 20th, 2023, 4:40 am So, I talked to a guy at the range the other day that said he wasn't confident enough to carry a gun in public.
When you say "in public" do you mean concealed in public or open carry? Sorry, I took the statement to mean open carry but that may not be the context of the conversation.

kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

aroyobob wrote: January 20th, 2023, 7:53 pm

When you say "in public" do you mean concealed in public or open carry? Sorry, I took the statement to mean open carry but that may not be the context of the conversation.
Either, he just felt weird carrying outside the house, and more fearful of OC.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:37 am
aroyobob wrote: January 20th, 2023, 7:53 pm

Either, he just felt weird carrying outside the house, and more fearful of OC.

Clyde
I agree, self improvement in this area is a worthy and realistic goal.

Carrying around the house can get a person more comfortable with the weight & feeling. To me, CC confidence is that it's not going to print, isn't going to fall on the floor and will stay concealed. Having some familiarity with the laws (constitutional carry or with a permit,) so you can respond to anyone who does notice it in an intelligent and non-confrontational manner is important too.
The later is probably more important for OC and includes how to respond to, say, a store manager, who asks you to leave the premises.
Just like any nervousness producing situation, role playing with someone can help build some "mental muscle memory" and avoid the surprise mind whiteout.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

aroyobob wrote: January 21st, 2023, 8:08 am

I agree, self improvement in this area is a worthy and realistic goal.

Carrying around the house can get a person more comfortable with the weight & feeling. To me, CC confidence is that it's not going to print, isn't going to fall on the floor and will stay concealed. Having some familiarity with the laws (constitutional carry or with a permit,) so you can respond to anyone who does notice it in an intelligent and non-confrontational manner is important too.
The later is probably more important for OC and includes how to respond to, say, a store manager, who asks you to leave the premises.
Just like any nervousness producing situation, role playing with someone can help build some "mental muscle memory" and avoid the surprise mind whiteout.
Muscles do not have "memory", it's called "procedural memory". I did have a chat on how to improve his confidence, and honestly, he just kinda shut it down and said "I just don't have the same confidence you do". Kinda hopeless at that point to help, so I left.

Clyde
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I think we should help people like that guy.

If they don’t feel comfortable carrying, they certainly won’t feel comfortable pulling the trigger in an emergency, so the bad guy gets another gun.

If they don’t feel comfortable carrying a gun, that they own they will see no need for bump stocks, forced reset trigger, magazines that hold more than 10- rounds, binary triggers, and assault weapons. They will vote to eliminate all of those as “common sense gun control”.

So, I would help them with paid transportation to California which has everything they’re looking for, Losem Gaine.

We already have our quota Fudds in AZ, and don’t need any more.
WhiteDragon

Post by WhiteDragon »

No, cannot help the committed fudd. There's no intrinsic mystery to finding training and bettering your skillset. What there is, and plentiful, is laziness and Dunning-Kruger. I've given up trying to help as my participation on this forum has shown the last decade or so. Some are warriors, but some are just sheep with sticks.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

WhiteDragon wrote: January 21st, 2023, 5:26 pm No, cannot help the committed fudd. There's no intrinsic mystery to finding training and bettering your skillset. What there is, and plentiful, is laziness and Dunning-Kruger. I've given up trying to help as my participation on this forum has shown the last decade or so. Some are warriors, but some are just sheep with sticks.
It's something we've become accustomed to seeing in the "martial" world unfortunately. They want to abdicate their safety and security to others who are "paid to do so". You and I have learned that many talk about it, they never do it, and yet they want a sort of "participation trophy" for going through the motions and never getting it. They need to feel some sort of "camaraderie" with others of a similar mindset, but never really doing anything. Taking responsibility for yourself self protection is a huge task, and yet few are willing to go to any length to accomplish it.

Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war, and there's a metric ass load of gardeners.

Clyde