Alec Baldwin CHARGED !

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
kenpoprofessor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Alec Baldwin CHARGED !

Post by kenpoprofessor »

QuietM4 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 7:38 pm Anyone know if the prop master is being charged as well? In my mind, she is more criminally liable than Baldwin. He's a stupid actor who just parrots back words written by another person. SHE is the professional responsible for the safety of those firearms. If he is charged, so should she.
If I hand a gun to someone on the range, I'm responsible for them shooting someone??? Regardless of how it came to be, he's the one who pulled the trigger. Part of "the job" you're doing is knowing WTF you're doing. If part of my job is driving, then I should know how to drive, including all the extra stuff like checking the fluids, maintenance, etc.,etc. You can't blame my supervisor if I drink and drive, but, it seems you will.

Seems some of you are fast to blame someone else.

Clyde

Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

The gun didn't just go off because he pulled the trigger.
He not only pulled the trigger , he cocked the hammer back first.
Vinnie B

Post by Vinnie B »

He was beyond negligent, He shot and killed a person. Not checking to see if it was loaded or not was HIS responsibility. Him and his lawyers can try and spin it however they'd like but it all falls on the last person to handle the weapon. Even if he didn't "pull" the trigger as he claims (ya right) he still did not make sure the gun was clear and for that he should not get a free pass...
brandonsmash

Post by brandonsmash »

The armorer has also been charged. Weirdly, I've seen a lot of people defending Baldwin by saying that he's an actor, he shouldn't have to know gun safety, he was told the gun was clear, etc. etc.

It's a gun. Loaded with live ammunition it can kill people. The end user is ALWAYS responsible for verifying. In this sense it's no different from a piece of machinery: While your employer may provide a piece of heavy machinery that you use, it is ultimately the user's responsibility to understand the function of the machine and how to make it safe.

He was waving around a real gun without bothering to check clear and there were consequences.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

mock0013 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:38 pm The third person that actually handed the gun to baldwin and didn't check to see if it was hot. did a plea deal with the DA and they didn't list charges for him
The director didn't get charged. but the assistant did.
Assistant director Dave Halls signed a plea agreement for a charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon. The terms of his agreement included a suspended sentence and six months of probation, the district attorney announced
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

I saw an interview with the DA and the special prosecutor this morning. It sounds like they are charging him more as a function of his executive producer position - responsible for all things on the set - noting that there were numerous safety lapses on set, including a couple of NDs, that he did nothing to confront. This makes sense if he, as an "actor" was operating within the construct of the negligently lax safety protocols that he "as the producer" allowed on the set. It makes sense that both he and the weapons master would be charged as their negligence is what allowed the scenario in which the actor (any actor) points what they think is an unloaded gun at the camera and pulls the trigger - to find that they just shot the cameraperson.

I'm glad they are both charged - and it seems the charges are at the appropriate level.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:03 am
QuietM4 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 7:38 pm Anyone know if the prop master is being charged as well? In my mind, she is more criminally liable than Baldwin. He's a stupid actor who just parrots back words written by another person. SHE is the professional responsible for the safety of those firearms. If he is charged, so should she.
If I hand a gun to someone on the range, I'm responsible for them shooting someone??? Regardless of how it came to be, he's the one who pulled the trigger. Part of "the job" you're doing is knowing WTF you're doing. If part of my job is driving, then I should know how to drive, including all the extra stuff like checking the fluids, maintenance, etc.,etc. You can't blame my supervisor if I drink and drive, but, it seems you will.

Clyde
You are comparing apples to oranges. If you are shooting with your buddies on a range, that is VERY different than being in a movie set where IT IS YOUR JOB to ensure the safety of the firearms on set. Of course Baldwin is responsible, but so is the prop master.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Where he will catch a pass is when it comes down to sentencing. He'll only get the bare minimum the judge can get away with. If that's house-arrest with an anklet, so be it. If he has to go to the graybar, his team will negotiate a 'country club' facility as close to his home (New York?) as is possible. Easier for family to bring him his favorite snacks.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:03 am

Clyde
I drove a truck for a few years in my early 20's. Old manual Diesel Mercedes straight job. I couldnt tell you the first thing about checking fluids. They had a service come in and perform regular checks and maintenance. My job was to drive it and my responsibility ended at bleeding the airbrakes before taking it out.

As far as you Drunk driving.. if it comes to a lawsuit you had better believe they are going after your company as well.

Ultimately it is how it will go down for Baldwin. He was the producer/supervisor and the staff and conditions will be his undoing. I dont think it will be his lack of knowledge about firearms. He was supposed to insure the right systems were in place so that a fatal shooting didnt occur.

In the end its all speculation. We will have to wait for the proceedings to start.
r0ttie1

Post by r0ttie1 »

He'll never spend a day in jail.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Be honest:

If somebody pointed a gun at you, and said "Don't worry; it's not loaded," what would you do?

Would you ever say to somebody, "I want to take a video of you with that gun. My friend over there is a gun expert and she says the gun is unloaded, so I want you to point it at me and cock the hammer while I take a video"?

The victim, Halyna Hutchins, was the director. Her job was to give directions. She directed Baldwin to point the gun at her. She directed him to pull back the hammer. He followed her directions.

This is one of those cases where more than one person is at fault. If a drunk driver crosses the center line and kills a woman and her baby, that drunk driver is guilty. But what if the woman was also drunk, and talking on her phone, and putting on her lipstick, and not wearing a seatbelt, and the baby was not in a child seat? Then she also is partially liable. (Which is not to say that the driver who crossed over is off the hook, just that the liability is shared.)

There were a lot of people who screwed up in this case: the armorer, the assistant who said "Cold gun," Baldwin the actor, Baldwin the producer -- and yes, also the director, Halyna Hutchins.

Expect Baldwin's lawyers to make a big deal about Hutchins' fault in her own death, and that Baldwin was "just following orders." Maybe that will be enough to get him acquitted, or at least get a lighter sentence.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

smithers599 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:41 am Be honest:

If somebody pointed a gun at you, and said "Don't worry; it's not loaded," what would you do?

Would you ever say to somebody, "I want to take a video of you with that gun. My friend over there is a gun expert and she says the gun is unloaded, so I want you to point it at me and cock the hammer while I take a video"?

The victim, Halyna Hutchins, was the director. Her job was to give directions. She directed Baldwin to point the gun at her. She directed him to pull back the hammer. He followed her directions.

This is one of those cases where more than one person is at fault. If a drunk driver crosses the center line and kills a woman and her baby, that drunk driver is guilty. But what if the woman was also drunk, and talking on her phone, and putting on her lipstick, and not wearing a seatbelt, and the baby was not in a child seat? Then she also is partially liable. (Which is not to say that the driver who crossed over is off the hook, just that the liability is shared.)

There were a lot of people who screwed up in this case: the armorer, the assistant who said "Cold gun," Baldwin the actor, Baldwin the producer -- and yes, also the director, Halyna Hutchins.

Expect Baldwin's lawyers to make a big deal about Hutchins' fault in her own death, and that Baldwin was "just following orders." Maybe that will be enough to get him acquitted, or at least get a lighter sentence.

My gawd, the stupid here is overwhelming lately. Maybe I need to do an RJ.

Clyde
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Could you be more specific, beyond just name-calling?

What part is stupid? That there is such a concept under the law as joint liability?

That Hutchins was stupid to sit in front of a gun because somebody else told her it was unloaded?

That Baldwin's lawyers will try to deflect blame from Baldwin to Hutchins?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 21st, 2023, 10:25 am
smithers599 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:41 am Be honest:

My gawd, the stupid here is overwhelming lately. Maybe I need to do an RJ.

Clyde
Must be extremely difficult for you to be the smartest guy in every room you enter.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Boriqua wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:48 pm

Must be extremely difficult for you to be the smartest guy in every room you enter.
No, not really, but I do try to surround myself with others of equal or better intelligence, and it's extremely difficult to find intelligent people any more. Obviously, this isn't the place to find that intelligence from what I'm seeing and reading.

Clyde