Pistol Brace ruling from ATF released.

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Tenring
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Pistol Brace ruling from ATF released.

Post by Tenring »

Brlux wrote: January 13th, 2023, 5:25 pm
And if braces are considered SBRs then we might as well get rid of the dumb braces and put a nice stock on them.
Kinda like this also, free SBR stamp with a nice new stock. And then I can throw a nice vertical grip on.

TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Brlux wrote: January 13th, 2023, 5:25 pm So can this be viewed as free SBR registration?

And if braces are considered SBRs then we might as well get rid of the dumb braces and put a nice stock on them.
That’s my understanding of it and exactly what I plan on doing. Never been a fan of the braces.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

TheAccountant wrote: January 13th, 2023, 9:31 pm
Brlux wrote: January 13th, 2023, 5:25 pm So can this be viewed as free SBR registration?

That’s my understanding of it and exactly what I plan on doing. Never been a fan of the braces.
Glad to see this latest infringement on our Constitutional Rights has worked out so well for you fellas... :doh:
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

Let’s see where this goes, it won’t be long before an injunction is filed and then the whole thing will end up in court.
I think FATF has way overstepped once again, but with the recent SCOTUS ruling in West Virginia vs EPA precedent has already been set for overturning their brace ban.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

QuietM4 wrote: January 13th, 2023, 9:40 pm
TheAccountant wrote: January 13th, 2023, 9:31 pm

Glad to see this latest infringement on our Constitutional Rights has worked out so well for you fellas... :doh:
Wah wah wah. Don’t forget to voluntarily renew your CCW.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Initial review, as he has not yet had time to read through it all:

It is 293 pages!
Attachments
stf,small,600x600-c,0,0,1000,1000.u1.jpg
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Some people have brought up a good point. While this whole thing is stupid and we all know it's about registration and revenue, if you can get a free tax stamp why not?

I have an AR9 that I had built last year with an arm brace. I was already thinking of making into an SBR and I bought the lower at a gun shop so Uncle Sam knows I have it since I filled out a 4473. If I get a free tax stamp they still know I have it lol. It won't be my first tax stamp either so why shouldn't I?

When life gives you lemons....
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

campinginaz wrote: January 14th, 2023, 8:46 am Some people have brought up a good point. While this whole thing is stupid and we all know it's about registration and revenue, if you can get a free tax stamp why not?

I have an AR9 that I had built last year with an arm brace. I was already thinking of making into an SBR and I bought the lower at a gun shop so Uncle Sam knows I have it since I filled out a 4473. If I get a free tax stamp they still know I have it lol. It won't be my first tax stamp either so why shouldn't I?

Don't forget that in order to get the "free" stamp you have to send a picture of the firearm for the atf to determine if it qualifies for the "free" stamp. In other words, you are handing them evidence that you've committed a felony by knowingly having a brace on a pistol after this "determination" and not having the approval. There was a thread about this awhile back with a lawyer making a video explaining it. The government can and will @$$ screw you at any given opportunity.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

Uncle Sam knows I have it since I filled out a 4473.
Here’s the thing, Uncle Sam has no idea what you bought other than it was a long gun, handgun, or other.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

pneuby wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:39 am Initial review, as he has not yet had time to read through it all:

It is 293 pages!
This was a pretty good video. I learned something of why SBRs and SBS was added in the 1930's. I didn't know they wanted to make handguns NFA items.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Solar_Empire wrote: January 14th, 2023, 9:07 am
campinginaz wrote: January 14th, 2023, 8:46 am Some people have brought up a good point. While this whole thing is stupid and we all know it's about registration and revenue, if you can get a free tax stamp why not?

Don't forget that in order to get the "free" stamp you have to send a picture of the firearm for the atf to determine if it qualifies for the "free" stamp. In other words, you are handing them evidence that you've committed a felony by knowingly having a brace on a pistol after this "determination" and not having the approval. There was a thread about this awhile back with a lawyer making a video explaining it. The government can and will @$$ screw you at any given opportunity.
This is a great point, I had forgot about that thread but I remember it now and I watched that video. I mean it's only $200 maybe I should just stop being cheap lol.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Gunslinger808 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 9:08 am
Uncle Sam knows I have it since I filled out a 4473.
Here’s the thing, Uncle Sam has no idea what you bought other than it was a long gun, handgun, or other.
I just learned something thank you! I figured since the serial number is on there they would know. Also off topic I think I remember you from the old forum and I did business with you. Do you do Class 3 stuff?
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Wonder how this effect's future sales of ar pistols with/without braces.....are they now NFA?
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Tenring wrote: January 14th, 2023, 9:22 am Wonder how this effect's future sales of ar pistols with/without braces.....are they now NFA?
I don't think they would be. Just won't be able to shoulder them as that is what 99% of us used the brace for anyways.
Brlux

Post by Brlux »

Getting an SBR engraved was one of my personal hangups with doing them in the past. If I understand correctly that is no longer a requirement.

This comes from page 14

if the firearm is already marked, the person registering the firearm pursuant to Final
Rule 2021R-08F may adopt all of the original manufacturer or importer markings when registering
the
firearm, to include the name, city, and state of the original manufacturer or importer as identified on
the frame or receiver of the firearm.