Which do you carry?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Which do you carry?

Post by Boriqua »

You have 2 handguns. Gun A and B. At a static indoor range shooting at targets between 7 and 20 yds you are consistently more accurate with gun A. You are somewhat taking your time between shots and get better more satisfying groups.

When practicing from the holster You are consistently faster at getting your first shot off and that first shot is more accurately placed using gun B. Your follow up shots arent as satisfying but that first shot is always faster and more accurate from the holster than gun A.

Of course ..you can always practice to make them even and address why you are more accurate with one when slow firing and why you are faster with one from the holster but .. if this is where you found yourself right now ... Which would you carry?

thom

Re: Which do you carry?

Post by thom »

B. Always. The A gun is a CZECHMATE which i am considering selling.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

B
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

B
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

B
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Dual Wielding FTW, beeyotches!
DualWielding.jpg
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

smithers599 wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:48 am Dual Wielding FTW, beeyotches!
DualWielding.jpg
LOL .. I wish there was a like button! :clap:
electrohawk

Post by electrohawk »

B. I have an A, it is an HK USP that I can gong 100M with a consistency that I cannot imagine doing with anything else that does not have a stock. But it's bulk is such that I am impossibly slower with it. I guess I should train like a Seal to change that :P
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

The comparison is illegitimate. If you are competent and doing your part, there is no reason for shots after #1 would be less accurate for any reason. You are either over-stroking the trigger or flinching your grip in some way. Any pistol for which your first shot hits the point of aim under stress is the pistol for you. All other deviances with that pistol are your fault.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:22 am The comparison is illegitimate. If you are competent and doing your part, there is no reason for shots after #1 would be less accurate for any reason. You are either over-stroking the trigger or flinching your grip in some way. Any pistol for which your first shot hits the point of aim under stress is the pistol for you. All other deviances with that pistol are your fault.
I wont come on here and say I am some expert pistolaro and there is no room for improvement and I may be over stating the change in group size but .. I think everyone has a pistol or rifle with which they are more accurate with than another. Of the 8 or 10 handguns I own I can make a sliding scale from the ones I am most accurate with in Bullseye type shooting to least accurate.

Im sure the way they fit in the hand and the triggers being different accounts for that.

Now where I am absolutely flubbing .... I can make a ragged hole with my newish CZ p07 but for whatever reason I consistently flub the draw from cover. I dont know if its the lower bore, the angle of the grip or the extended beaver tail but .. Yuck .. I land up with my support hand anywhere but where its supposed to be.

Meanwhile my HK p2000 feels most natural from the draw but doesnt have as nice a trigger as the CZ so the groups are a ragged hole with one or two outside the main hole but .. just not as accurate at bullseye type stuff with the H&K. It does however jump in my hand and points more naturally and I always score a direct hit with the first shot where I find myself fishing a little with the CZ from the draw.

Not a big deal .. means I need to spend more time at the Range and it gives me something to work on.

Both guns I consider "newer" acquisitions where my GP100 and Sig229, which I am most accurate with, I have had a good while and have put some rounds through. Spent about a year once a week running all manner of drills out in the desert with a board member with that Sig so I know it well.

Might be a little different if you acquire the same manufacturer but I have a hodge podge of guns and yea some I am better with than others at certain tasks
Last edited by Boriqua on January 23rd, 2023, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

... Double tap
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

B
Jay Gee

Post by Jay Gee »

B, I have a few. A I need more practice for that accuracy thing.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

All other things being equal (assuming that gun A and gun B are equally concealable, reliable, have comparable capacities, etc...) then gun B... In an otherwise balanced comparison - I'd rather have a fast and accurate first shot than better accuracy on slow and repeated shots. I've heard more than one established defensive firearms "expert" say something to the effect that: "gunfights are generally won by the person who makes the first anatomically significant hit..." and I'd have a hard time arguing against that idea.

If there are other factors that weigh in favor of gun A - and the differences between the two in speed and accuracy are not huge, then I'm sure a case can be made to go the other way.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

B