Swapping your daily carry

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Swapping your daily carry

Post by Boriqua »

Do you occasionally swap out your CCW carry? Reading on other forums guys that change their edc as the mood strikes. As most of us have at least two handguns ... just curious .. do you swap out your edc or do you select one that is your go to and the rest are range toys?

kenpoprofessor

Re: Swapping your daily carry

Post by kenpoprofessor »

I swap mine out, but only the ones that require the same procedural memory to put into action. No safeties, no mag discos, no grip safety, anything that would be different is eliminated from carry and to range use only.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

kenpoprofessor wrote: November 19th, 2022, 9:07 am I swap mine out, but only the ones that require the same procedural memory to put into action. No safeties, no mag discos, no grip safety, anything that would be different is eliminated from carry and to range use only.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Im with you .. its why I moved all of mine to DA/SA. I figure no matter which one I grab they will be very similar in function.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Yes, I swap mine, but not "as the mood strikes". I tend to swap seasonally to something full-size in the winter when it's easier to conceal.

Clyde brings up a good point about sticking with something that's procedurally the same. That sounds like a wise call, especially if switching back and forth between guns on a whim. I don't do that, and I go back and forth between a striker fired with no safety at all, and an SAO cocked and locked.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I swap constantly. Usually it's some form of 1911, but I have a bunch of them, so which one depends on whim as well as clothing.
Then sometimes I will strap on a Glock or M&P just because what the hell. As I noted in another thread, recently I saw the Model 629 there in the safe, looking lonely, so I carried it on a trip to Costco.

Rule One is Have a Gun. I don't feel unarmed or undertrained with whatever I happen to be carrying.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

I do swap as well depending on clothing or weather but typically keep to the same function gun.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Weather dependant. If I can wear a big coat, full size gun all day. My EDC is a P365.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

QuietM4 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 1:47 pm Weather dependant. If I can wear a big coat, full size gun all day. My EDC is a P365.
Is the 365 closer to LCP size or glock 19 size? Just curious.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Boriqua wrote: November 19th, 2022, 3:03 pm
QuietM4 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 1:47 pm Weather dependant. If I can wear a big coat, full size gun all day. My EDC is a P365.
Is the 365 closer to LCP size or glock 19 size? Just curious.
It's right in the middle. The newest Sig P365 Macro is closer to a G19, but the original sized P365 is smaller than a Glock 26.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glo ... sauer-p365
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I still change to a couple of different small 9mm autoloaders depending upon attire and the current ambient temperature. Now that its cooler weather and I'll have a jacket on in the mornings or late in the evenings, I'll carry a bit bulkier gun than when in just t-shirts and shorts.

I also have to admit I still carry a small frame revolver on occasion. I've tried to move away from the revolvers because of their limited capacity. But sometimes I just want to go lighter weight with an Airweight J frame and no bulk of a spare mag/mags. Those little Bianchi speed strips just pack along effortlessly in a pocket.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

I carry 2 or 3 different guns depending on whether I need a light/red dot or not.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

RufusXG wrote: November 19th, 2022, 6:17 pm I carry 2 or 3 different guns depending on whether I need a light/red dot or not.
That makes me ask what is your criteria for light/dot or not light/dot?
I know why I don't.
I'm accidently derailing this, and maybe it should be in the training thread.....
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

Pro2a wrote: November 20th, 2022, 3:25 pm
RufusXG wrote: November 19th, 2022, 6:17 pm I carry 2 or 3 different guns depending on whether I need a light/red dot or not.
That makes me ask what is your criteria for light/dot or not light/dot?
I know why I don't.
I'm accidently derailing this, and maybe it should be in the training thread.....
Basically, if it's dark outside, I need a light, and I prefer a red dot because I can't see sights very well at night (without a lot of light). Nothing more complicated than that. Said differently, in the daytime I can forgo the light and red dot.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

I change often depending on a number of different things.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I really only "carry" two different pistols, a third gets sprinkled in. Primary is a S&W M&P. It is in my back pack, so not ON ME. When I travel without the pack I have a LCP stuffed in my pocket on a clip. The third variant is a PPS-M2. This is the one that you (Alex) did a IWB holster for a while back.