Magazine RANT

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Yellowcarbon
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Magazine RANT

Post by Yellowcarbon »

Magazines and threaded barrels are things to check. I'm still traumatized by the 1994-2004 mag ban. I just bought 13 mags for my Turkish shotgun because they were on sale. I'll probably never use them, but I sleep better at night knowing that I have them.

I have a suppressor, so threaded barrels play into the cost. I've passed on many pistols because of barrel cost. In fact, I have a Girsan Hipower clone that I am thinking of selling because of cost of a threaded barrel. I won it on a low bid. Thankfully suppressor host are a fairly common factory option now days. While I don't love Glocks, mags and threaded barrels are dirt cheap.

brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I'm almost embarrassed at how much I paid for one magazine back when I was unprepared. Back around 1994 I bought my first SIG P229 in the then relatively new caliber of 40 S&W. I had a 9mm P226 and a P228 so it seemed logical if I was finally going to try the new 40 caliber it would be with a SIG. However, the 1994 AWB was coming up in the legislation and in the law was a ban for all new mags above 10 rounds. Unfortunately, it passed and Slick Willie signed it into law so overnight the prices of magazines jumped.

Now some magazines, that were plentiful like for AR's, were higher priced but not outrageously so. But magazines for the P299, which had only been out for 2 years, were extremely scarce. I got 2 with the gun and was able to order a few at reasonable pricing but I did buy one extra at the gun show scalpers prices. All because I wasn't sure if my legitimate sources would come through. Sad to say, I paid $125 for one lousy magazine for my P229. But I then had six mags (although I prefer 10-12 pistol mags for each gun) but it at least got me by until the AWB expiration 10 years later.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

brandyspaw wrote: November 13th, 2022, 10:39 am I'm almost embarrassed at how much I paid for one magazine back when I was unprepared. Back around 1994 I bought my first SIG P229 in the then relatively new caliber of 40 S&W. I had a 9mm P226 and a P228 so it seemed logical if I was finally going to try the new 40 caliber it would be with a SIG. However, the 1994 AWB was coming up in the legislation and in the law was a ban for all new mags above 10 rounds. Unfortunately, it passed and Slick Willie signed it into law so overnight the prices of magazines jumped.

Now some magazines, that were plentiful like for AR's, were higher priced but not outrageously so. But magazines for the P299, which had only been out for 2 years, were extremely scarce. I got 2 with the gun and was able to order a few at reasonable pricing but I did buy one extra at the gun show scalpers prices. All because I wasn't sure if my legitimate sources would come through. Sad to say, I paid $125 for one lousy magazine for my P229. But I then had six mags (although I prefer 10-12 pistol mags for each gun) but it at least got me by until the AWB expiration 10 years later.
Probably words of wisdom in our current climate. We may all think current mag prices are dirt cheap in the near future.
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

New CZ-p07 mags and CZ-P10C mags are the same magazines. The folks asking $50 are probably selling off their old stock of P-07 only mags.

Greg Cote has the best prices. Still pricey though.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory ... -1781.html
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

nvgdude wrote: November 13th, 2022, 11:11 am New CZ-p07 mags and CZ-P10C mags are the same magazines. The folks asking $50 are probably selling off their old stock of P-07 only mags.

Greg Cote has the best prices. Still pricey though.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory ... -1781.html
Thank you and good advice. I had used Greg in the past but didnt think about him. He had the P10C mag that works in the P07 for about $42 which included shipping. Saved about $15!!
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by 007 »

I don't mind the cost as much as the mags not working as expected. Extended mags and drums are horrible to get working for 1911's. I have a Mech Tech Carbine in 1911 45 acp / 460R and trying to find anything that works in a 1911 other than CM 10 rounders has been impossible for me. YMMV, if so let me know.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

Yellowcarbon wrote: November 13th, 2022, 9:00 am Magazines and threaded barrels are things to check.
I'm embarrassed to admit how much I paid for a threaded HK P30L barrel. I still haven't even used it because I'm worried HK must have sold me the solid gold version or something