Smith and Wesson RevolveR EXPERTS

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
gunpoorboy1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Smith and Wesson RevolveR EXPERTS

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

I just got a used S&W model 29-10.
Cosmetically it's in great shape, but.....
I have not live fired it yet but in dry firing it, the trigger sometimes sticks to the back (does not return to firing position.)
This gun has probably had less than a box of ammo through it so I'm wondering if its a problem from the factory, or may hasn't been fired enough, or?????
Looking for thoughts on this.

Also,

The cylinder does not have the same beautiful blue shine that the frame has. It's just a bit duller. Is this normal for a new revolver?

Thanks for the help guys.

Jack Dupp

Re: Smith and Wesson RevolveR EXPERTS

Post by Jack Dupp »

PM Pneuby here. He's the man.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

PM Pneuby here. He's the man.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

If its older and been sitting around I would bet congelled (sp) lubricant. When i got my 28 the trigger was super slugish. I took off the side plate and the grease was yellow and hardened. The rebound slide in particular was caked in off color grease. I gave it a good cleaning, took the opportunity to slightly polish the rebound slide and frame where it made contact, applied new grease and it was like new!
curt1950
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by curt1950 »

Taking the side plate off and cleaning would be my vote. I've had a couple of Smith's that when I took it apart they still had chips inside of them. Light oil in the wear areas, if its really old maybe new springs then try it again.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

I would have to agree it sounds like a rebound issue. If it is not gummed up the problem could also be someone tried to reduce the trigger pull by cutting the rebound spring to much.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Boriqua wrote: November 5th, 2022, 7:43 am If its older and been sitting around I would bet congelled (sp) lubricant. When i got my 28 the trigger was super slugish. I took off the side plate and the grease was yellow and hardened. The rebound slide in particular was caked in off color grease. I gave it a good cleaning, took the opportunity to slightly polish the rebound slide and frame where it made contact, applied new grease and it was like new!
Alex, I remember how terrified you were to take off the side plate. IIRC, you found a YouTube video showing how to vibrate the plate loose by tapping the frame, and that Thou Shalt Not Pry the sideplate off. Now you are an old hand at it.

OP, go ye forth and do thou likewise. It's educational to peek inside the workings of your revolver to see what is going on, and YouTube is your friend.

Wouldn't hurt to watch somebody else do it, in case you can hook up with Pneuby or somebody else.

As Cmoor posted, I would not be surprised if somebody clipped coils off the trigger rebound spring to try to improve the trigger pull. Not a good idea. Wolff Gunsprings sells spring replacement kits for your N-frame that are both cheap and gratifyingly effective at improving trigger pull. Highly recommended.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Yup simply tapping at the grip frame with the back end of a Klein screwdriver shook that side plate right off. The rest was cake. You can learn very worthwhile stuff on here sometimes!! :mrgreen:

I do have a copy of Jerry Miculek's video "Complete revolver" but in all honesty the older smiths are pretty easy to figure out ... once you get that damn side plate off!

gunpoorboy1
Everything is probably on youtube but if you're in the hood ... east mesa .. and want to borrow a copy of the "Complete Revolver" just shoot me a PM.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

First thing I'd check is the mainspring tension. The screw at the lower front of the of the grip-frame.
Some folks think that allows you to somehow adjust the trigger-pull. Not.

If you don't know what a proper hollow-ground screwdriver is, google that up first, LOL. Then, don't be surprised to find it having been loosened.

The finish issue is also bothersome. On a full carbon-steel gun, they should match. I don't want to scare you, but if the prior owner got frisky with his reloads, that might be a replacement cylinder.
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

I have some older wood handle gunsmith screwdrivers. A couple of them have beat up handles from whacking the grip frame with handle. I’ve been using that set since the 70’s.
Back from before you could go to YouTube for all your answers.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Maybe if there was a way to "magically inspect the action"