STOP TRAINING

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
xerts1911
ArizonaShooting.org Member

STOP TRAINING

Post by xerts1911 »

MAY BE USED AGAINST YOU IN TODAYS SYSTEM

That Guy

Re: STOP TRAINING

Post by That Guy »

Yeah, they make some good points. Fr’instance in all the scenarios, in all the classes, under all three owners of Gunsite (Cooper, Jee, Mills) there was very little emphasis placed upon de escalation. Occasionally it was a check the block “drop you gun” but the “suspect” never complied and we always knew we were going to pop them. Never once was there EVER a scenario in which they presented you a situation, you assessed the threat and the correct answer was to disengage. One of the problems is that in so many schools the instructors are cops-cops who have been trained themselves in a culture of qualified immunity.
They also have a point about “Well, if you’ve had all this training and blah, blah, blah why were you afraid for your life?” Due to the sh!t I’ve done in nasty dangerous places and the training I’ve received (other than Gunsite)l I damn well know the bar is higher for somebody like me than a crippled old lady in a wheel chair. And unfortunately a pretty good argument could be used against a person in court, “So Mr. Smith, you were trained to fire one shot under stress into the head area of a target at three meters, we have the testimony from the Belchfire Gun Institute attesting to that, therefore why couldn’t you have shot my client in the leg to allegedly stop him from attacking you?” Cuz’ honestly-you ain’t had fun until you’ve been on under oath fending off questions from a Saul Goodman style attorney…….
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

Yep
billdeserthills
Banned
Banned

Post by billdeserthills »

Wow--good thing I never started!
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

Yawn. Seems clickbaity.

People read ARS Title 13 Chapter 4 and interpret it as the “when can I use force”. They forget that the key component is reasonableness. Reasonableness is not a matter of “can use force” as much of a matter of “must use force”.

In AZ, following those basic principles and it is extremely unlikely you won’t be charged so any training is moot. Even if there is a trial, the prosecutor has a burden to prove that the training is specifically relevant to the crime alleged. Your defense will obviously object and try to keep any training from being admissible. If you remember the Rittenhouse trial they tried to make a case that he played first shooter games because he was pre-disposed to such violence. It didn’t help the prosecutor. Similarly, in the Brailsford trial, the defense was able to exclude from testimony/evidence the fact that Brailsford had a custom ejection port cover saying “you’re f***”.

The fact is that nearly all the cases charged are because of the facts of the reasonableness. Most charged cases have individuals without training, and using unmodified factory configured guns. Almost none are with modified guns or with someone who has training.
deadshot556

Post by deadshot556 »

Ive been hearing this my whole life, like it matters in the current climate.
Hansen

Post by Hansen »

I wouldn't stop training, but rather I would vet the instructors I am looking at to see if their backgrounds & credentials would hold up in legal matters.

I see it this way, If the instructor has NEVER been in any type use of force situation(s) or court as an expert witness, I would even go as far as looking to see if the instructor had some sort of report writing experience as well. I probably would go with someone else. I may have to rely on the their instruction / training in the future!!!!

Anyone, can be an instructor, NOT everyone in a worth while instructor.

Just my .02 cents.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Hansen wrote: November 10th, 2022, 6:55 pm I wouldn't stop training, but rather I would vet the instructors I am looking at to see if their backgrounds & credentials would hold up in legal matters.

I see it this way, If the instructor has NEVER been in any type use of force situation(s) or court as an expert witness, I would even go as far as looking to see if the instructor had some sort of report writing experience as well. I probably would go with someone else. I may have to rely on the their instruction / training in the future!!!!

Just my .02 cents.
Yea, we have this problem in the martial art world as well. Active Self Promotion guy, John Corriea is a real player, like Joel Osteen.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

Hansen wrote: November 10th, 2022, 6:55 pm I wouldn't stop training, but rather I would vet the instructors I am looking at to see if their backgrounds & credentials would hold up in legal matters.

Just my .02 cents.
Good training can be helpful to the defense more than the prosecution.

The important takeaway from this video (mentioned later in the video) is what you say as well as what you post. The only way a prosecutor would know is if you told them or the world.