When shooting a Cape Buffalo at only 30 yards, don't fugging miss or you die

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

When shooting a Cape Buffalo at only 30 yards, don't fugging miss or you die

Post by Suck My Glock »

As the President of the Mexican Hunting Federation found out the hard way. This took place last week in far northern Argentina, not Africa.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ntina.html

Ballistic Therapy

Re: When shooting a Cape Buffalo at only 30 yards, don't fugging miss or you die

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Cape Buffalo , probably the most dangerous animal in the world to hunt.
kenpoprofessor

Re: When shooting a Cape Buffalo at only 30 yards, don't fugging miss or you die

Post by kenpoprofessor »

The Entre Ríos prosecutor’s office opened an investigation into the incident and interviewed the three friends who traveled with Canales for the hunting excursion. While hunting is legal, it is against the law to kill a buffalo because it is a wildlife animal.

So, another Mexican doing illegal things in another country?

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

https://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/20 ... b456d.html
Hunters never die
Among the many messages of condolence was one from Jim Shockey, a well-known Canadian hunter, television producer and host of many related programs.

"My deepest condolences to the family of Mario Canales, who was killed two days ago by a buffalo in Argentina," he posted on his social media.

"I and all of us who knew this man of conservation, this man of honor, president of the Mexican Hunting Federation, mourn with his family.

"They say that hunters never die... They just go deeper into the forest."
Nope. He died. He's dead.
WyattBurp

Post by WyattBurp »

You mess with the bull, you get the horn..
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Argentina has water buffaloes in the wild, but Cape Buffaloes are not indigenous. Had to be a hunting preserve with a Cape Buffalo imported from Africa.
Also, story says he did not miss, but hit with a ".408." Buff took a bunch of hits from the guide's .458 before tipping over. They are tough animals.
Note that the hunter fired one shot, then lowered his rifle. Nonono. SOP when hunting any game, down to squirrels, is always assume the last shot you fired did not work, and immediately get ready for a followup shot. With a bolt gun, you always run the bolt and chamber another round, without taking the gun off your shoulder. The head of the Mexican Hunting Federation should have known that, but obviously didn't.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Cape's are tough animals. Best advice is, when you shoot them, break something. Heart/lung hits, take too long for them to death wail. They don't call them "Black Death" for nothing.
WyattBurp

Post by WyattBurp »

Something is fishy here, he was hunting pigeons with a 408? Dont think so, he was up to illegal activities before he even went hunting when planning his trip. The cape buffalo was just doing his duty protecting wildlife since the man that was suppose to was obviously not. I suspect this isn't the first time he used the narrative of conserving wildlife while hunting illegally. A great example of epic karma..
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

There's definitely a few things here to question.

For one, how does anyone shoot from the "Rice Paddy Prone" something powerful enough to justify using on a Cape Buffalo and not get knocked on your azz? The guide was kneeling, which braced him for using his .458 rifle, allowing for a quick next shot or shots. But the dead guy just squatted and fired, and is visibly knocked back sufficiently to no longer be stable, making the cycling of his bolt and readying for the next shot take longer than it should.

And I think, as in any news report, there are errors here. I'm not aware of any rifle cartridge other than the .408CheyTac, which is only chambered in large heavy tactical and match guns, that have ".408" in their name or which actually use a .408 diameter bullet. I got a wild hair up my butt about it last night and spent far too much time on the interwebz trying to find a cartridge that fit either the name or diameter and came up with bupkis.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, hard to tell if hunting on a preserve, you pay for which ever animal you shoot, as it is on some african hunts, they well know you may be hunting kudu, but might end up with a cat or a wart hog, or a elephants, elephanst are big money, cats big money,

my friend joey put down a cape with a bow, but had PH standing by with a cannon, fella just ran outta luck for sure, or had no idea of what he was doing, most PH's will advise of plan, and sub plan and when to run like the devil is after you, and never, never look back, just run, and never in a straight line, zig and da zag

Rj
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I think the hunted animal has to take a few out every now and again. Beats shooting from a tree stand where they cant get at ya. Makes it more sporting :dance:
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

Judging from the amount of recoil at the shot, it might have bee a .308. Didn't seem to move him much at all. Then he compounded his errors by taking the rifle from his shoulder to reload. Not a good example of "skilled" hunter....
WyattBurp

Post by WyattBurp »

That's pretty impressive you can judge what caliber he is shooting from the recoil he experienced. I dont think I've ever heard of that...
WyattBurp

Post by WyattBurp »

I definitely wouldn't be crouching while shooting at a charging buffalo, He had no way to get out of its way.
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

Me at Wal Mart in a pith hat, "Hurry along Reginald, the cape buff waits for NO MAN," as I'm buying a Ruger 10/22.