Lagging FFL transfers

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Lagging FFL transfers

Post by XJThrottle »

Cmoor wrote: October 7th, 2022, 2:11 am I worked for a distributor/gun shop once, we got ammo and guns shipped several pallets at a time and sold locally at just over dealer cost. After a few years all the dealers in town went out of business. Then a few years later the shop I worked for relocated 45 miles away... So for ten years locals were left without a local gun shop and had to drive 45 miles to get guns or ammo. After ten years a new shop opened up then it closed too. Now 30 years later they still have to drive 20 miles to the nearest gun shop.

Most small gun shops barely make enough to pay their overhead and they do it because they like what they do. In a small shop there are many days if you take out their operational cost; employees, rent, electricity and cost of goods they actually make zero profit. The average guy buying guns on line does NOT spend any money at the local shop (except his transfer fee) instead they shop everywhere else to save a buck.

So be sure to spend some money at those local shops...
That's the price you pay to live in a small town, or the boonies. The same goes for everyday items like gas and groceries.

Before the 'vid I was buying enough that it would've been cheaper to just be a FFL.

pneuby
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by pneuby »

To those without CCW permits....
Be dangs sure you will pass your background check before you order a gun and have it shipped to ANY FFL. IF you get a denial, they have you over a barrel. They cannot release the gun/s you've PAID for. Best you will get is a low-ball offer, and they absorb the gun/s into their inventory. Either that, or make DARN sure the place you order from will take it back in return, even if there is a re-stocking charge.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

danonly55 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 8:48 am I am all for buying local, I would like to keep my money in our state, This is not a small shop by any means. The walls are lined with AR's and 1911's and their transfer fee is 50 bucks which is the highest I have ever seen. If they were worried about overhead than their business plan is not realistic. My usual FFL charges 20 and does transfers in 1-2 days at most. These guys said they would have it by Thursday, well that day has past and it's still not complete. Many other people have had similar issues with this store. Wanting a good deal and to save over 110 bucks on a purchase is a ideal and a sound purchase in my book.
Our shop charges $30 and we process within minutes of getting a gun in.. Most of our customers could have bought from us in the first place and got the same price and allowed us to make a few extra bucks. If it was up to me we would charge $50 for all transfers that didn't come in to give us a chance to get the sale first. If we can't then we could do the transfer for our normal $30 or even less.

My boss thinks charging more will hurt our business but, since almost every single person who buys on line never spends a dime in the shop otherwise what would we really be losing... These idiots drive to bass pro shop to get their ammo deals because they save a few bucks so, I say let them drive 50 miles for their transfer too... Although someone told me Bass Pro charges $50 for a transfer too. Maybe someone can verify that...
danonly55

Post by danonly55 »

I was able to pick up my gun today without any hassle or attitude from the staff. Although I do not agree with a 50 dollar ffl fee or waiting 4 days to get them to release my gun to me. For all who wants to avoid either one of these issues, avoid Tombstone Tactical, Metro center.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

Thank you for the update I’d never transfer anything to them but their glock pricing is not bad
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I had a friend who had a lower for an AR shipped to Tombstone Tactical - so he knew when it was dropped off. He happened to be in the area when it was so he stopped in to see when it would be available. They said it would be a week at minimum. And what does that stellar service cost? $50 bucks. LOL.

That is why I use MLS arms in N. Phoenix. 25 dollar transfers and same day/next day availability for pick up. With as many staff as I see standing around at Tombstone you think they would at least get transfers and orders out the door quicker since they charge sh*tty pawn shop transfer prices.

Tombstone also quotes 14 days for ordered guns too - and everytime I order one through them it is ready to be picked up exactly 14 days. Funny, I think they don't show you the tracking numbers or shipping info for things ordered through them (there is a box for that info to be populated when you check on the order) because they don't want people angry at their lackadaisical customer service when it comes to transfers and orders.

I have bought quite a few firearms from Tombstone over the last few years - and everytime they are the only ones showing what I want as available "from their warehouse" (which isn't really their warehouse methinks) I cringe a bit when I click "buy." The in-store service is fine (albeit super slow.)
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

You guys are all getting hosed. $15 transfer, and I can go get it 20 minutes after delivery, and I have the last 3 I ordered.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

paulgt2164 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 7:10 pm I had a friend who had a lower for an AR shipped to Tombstone Tactical - so he knew when it was dropped off. He happened to be in the area when it was so he stopped in to see when it would be available. They said it would be a week at minimum. And what does that stellar service cost? $50 bucks. LOL.

That is why I use MLS arms in N. Phoenix. 25 dollar transfers and same day/next day availability for pick up. With as many staff as I see standing around at Tombstone you think they would at least get transfers and orders out the door quicker since they charge sh*tty pawn shop transfer prices.

Tombstone also quotes 14 days for ordered guns too - and everytime I order one through them it is ready to be picked up exactly 14 days. Funny, I think they don't show you the tracking numbers or shipping info for things ordered through them (there is a box for that info to be populated when you check on the order) because they don't want people angry at their lackadaisical customer service when it comes to transfers and orders.

I have bought quite a few firearms from Tombstone over the last few years - and everytime they are the only ones showing what I want as available "from their warehouse" (which isn't really their warehouse methinks) I cringe a bit when I click "buy." The in-store service is fine (albeit super slow.)

Ammo AZ for the win, I can finger bang every gun on display, purchase when ready, screw Tombstone. Even their FFL transfer is only $35, I get mine free if I want, for veterans.

Clyde
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Cmoor wrote: October 7th, 2022, 5:04 pm
Our shop charges $30 and we process within minutes of getting a gun in.. Most of our customers could have bought from us in the first place and got the same price and allowed us to make a few extra bucks. If it was up to me we would charge $50 for all transfers that didn't come in to give us a chance to get the sale first. If we can't then we could do the transfer for our normal $30 or even less.

My boss thinks charging more will hurt our business but, since almost every single person who buys on line never spends a dime in the shop otherwise what would we really be losing... These idiots drive to bass pro shop to get their ammo deals because they save a few bucks so, I say let them drive 50 miles for their transfer too... Although someone told me Bass Pro charges $50 for a transfer too. Maybe someone can verify that...
LOL..

The reasons you are an employee and not the owner are 100% laid out in this post. The owner gets it. You, not so much (or at all)...

Traffic.

A small shop has to bring it in. It being TRAFFIC. A 4473 is one way to get peeps in your shop. OK, so a guy just wants to do the paper and be gone. Other guys browse.

My chic used to run with the ladies crew at C2. The nights she was left alone were the most expensive. "Free" ladies nights my azz...
Last edited by XJThrottle on October 7th, 2022, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

XJThrottle wrote: October 7th, 2022, 8:48 pm

LOL..

The reasons you are an employee and not the owner are 100% laid out in this post. The owner gets it. You, not so much (or at all)...

I think he may be forgetting that many times, ordering online means no tax on sales, ergo, save a few hundred on a new toy.

Clyde
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

kenpoprofessor wrote: October 7th, 2022, 8:58 pm

LOL..

I think he may be forgetting that many times, ordering online means no tax on sales, ergo, save a few hundred on a new toy.

Clyde
I was editing my post while you replied...but any more tax is applied across the board. If a vendor states "NO TAX" they are just eating it on the transaction..
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

XJThrottle wrote: October 7th, 2022, 9:02 pm

LOL..

Clyde
I was editing my post while you replied...but any more tax is applied across the board. If a vendor states "NO TAX" they are just eating it on the transaction..

OK, if you say so. I've bought plenty of guns in the last couple of years, best prices I've ever seen, and over half didn't get tax from me on checkout, at least online.

Clyde
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

kenpoprofessor wrote: October 7th, 2022, 9:05 pm
XJThrottle wrote: October 7th, 2022, 9:02 pm

Clyde

OK, if you say so. I've bought plenty of guns in the last couple of years, best prices I've ever seen, and over half didn't get tax from me on checkout, at least online.

Clyde
Its not a matter of "if I say so"..

The tax on the purchase has to be paid. Whether they put it as a line item on your sales order doesn't matter. "You" do pay the tax. It's just figured into the total cost of the item and back figured by some algorithm the I don't give F about.. The vendor is the one to set the price.

Which one tickles you better? If the combined taxes are 10% and they say " no tax", or you're getting X% off with the sales total being the same dollar amount?
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

That’s not exactly true. A retailer has to have nexus in the state in order to be required to collect sales tax. Up until a few years ago that meant some sort of physical presence in the state. The SC overturned that decades-old case and now nexus can be established through a sufficient amount of business conducted in the state. A small retailer may not meet the threshold, or may not be sophisticated enough to be aware of the requirements, so no sales tax is collected at the time of the sale. You are supposed to self-report the purchase and remit use tax (which is generally equal to what sales tax would have been collected) with your state income tax return… who actually does that? No clue.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

I do most of my transfers at a local pawn shop that only charges $10. I do always buy something from them in addition to the transfer though. Usually ammo, but once they didn't have any ammo so I bought a Morgan dollar. Another time they were out of ammo but I purchased a box set of Entourage dvds