Saw a LAR Grizzly today

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
kenpoprofessor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Saw a LAR Grizzly today

Post by kenpoprofessor »

In .45 winmag, $1999. It was pretty beat up, and the price was high from what I researched. Still had the original box and stuff though. Checked ammo prices, somewhat spendy, but then, anything in .50 is expensive as well.

I haven't seen one of those things in 30 years, anybody got one? It looked like this, not in near as good condition.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde

Tenring

Re: Saw a LAR Grizzly today

Post by Tenring »

Now that's a cool blaster, have not see one for a while!
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

A friend in Colorado had one. Yeah, its a beast.

Honest to God, back in 2002 there used to be a scrawny security guard kid at the Arizona Department of Revenue downtown Phoenix on the capitol mall (where business owners would often que up to pay their monthly extortion). He couldn't have weighed more than 140 lbs. soaking wet, and still had peach fuzz on his face instead of whiskers. And instead of a 6-shot .38 revolver, or even a Glock,...this punk was wearing a .45WinMag L.A.R. Grizzly on his boney hip. I swear, it looked like he listed to starboard, that anchor was so heavy.

I normally feel quite secure around armed people, but this kid made me nervous. He either was an accomplished pistolero who was capable of mastering this cannon (unlikely), or (more likely) he was simply enamored with it from some movie he watched and just HAD to have it, and probably hadn't put more than a single box of ammo through it,...mostly blasting cinder blocks and watermelon for giggles,...and if ever had to draw it and use it for real, was more likely to perforate everyone within line of sight OTHER than the targeted perpetrator. I was truly in awe that some guard agency let him carry that sucker. When I used to work for several security outfits when I was in my 20's, they wouldn't even consider letting me pack my 1911 (which I was actually proficient with) and restricted me and all other guards to 1950's 6-shot revolvers.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I sold mine a couple of years back after having it for a few decades. This was during a purge of some safe queens after I stopped shooting some of the magnum handguns due to having some hand and wrist issues.

They are an extremely well made gun and pretty versatile especially if you have any of the extra caliber conversions. My gun was in 45 Winchester magnum and I also had a conversion kit with it in
357/45 Grizzly WM.
Razai

Post by Razai »

The WinMag is the only semiauto I have ever fired only once. One single round. I was much younger, healthier, and stronger then, and it still hurt my hand. I had fired thousands of rounds of .45ACP, 10mm, .44 Mag, etc., but that sucker was really something.