AMMO PRICES!!!

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AMMO PRICES!!!

Post by Boriqua »

Holy Sh*t!

I have been reloading for the last 6-7 years so I rarely have the need to buy factory ammo at the store. I succumbed to my baser wants and went ahead and have a H&K P2000 inbound. I have plenty of .40 rolled up and plenty of components but I like to proof a new gun with factory ammo so if it acts up later I know its my ammo and not the gun.

So jump on my bike and head to Sportsman's. Boat loads of 9mm and seemingly a good selection on 45 and .40 but ... My walk out the door price for a box of American Eagle 180 gr FMJ in .40 was $35!!

Holy sh*t. when did that happen! I admittedly have been paying about $100 for primers when I buy them but I am still not approaching $35 a box to reload.

Oh I remember well picking up some 9mm ammo at Walmart on the way to the range and paying about $10. At $35 a box for .40 I would have to seriously cut back on my shooting. So thankful for the people that got me into reloading .... dont know how a dude shoots at $35 for a box of ammo especially since 50 rounds goes pretty fast.

rockbronco

Re: AMMO PRICES!!!

Post by rockbronco »

Welcome to the party! Yeah its been a bit with these inflated numbers. Ive got a stash but do keep buying to keep up with my shooting and typically only buying by the case and not the box. Even at that its still common to pay .30cents a rnd for 9mm these days. sucks but is what it is currently
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

You missed the really high prices. Like gasoline, ammo is way down from its high, but still way up from the good old days.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I go with the wife a bunch so two boxes ammo $70, then $30 for indoor range if we dont go on ladies day and couple targets and we would be up over $100 bucks for an hours worth of shooting.

That is steep! Cant believe it was even more expensive!
Razai

Post by Razai »

It is painful, and no matter what is said, it feels intentional. I don’t accept that everything has skyrocketed; I feel everything has been skyrocketed, if that even makes grammatical sense.
Now where did I leave my foil hat..?
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Indoor range prices these days are stupid. I will gladly shoot outdoors when it is super hot for $7 / 90 minutes verses 25-30 an hour in some crappy indoor range (like shootersworld) where I have to be shoulder to shoulder with some idiot or their dildo RSOs.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I think the last time I bought .40 it was around $22 a box retail locally and could be had cheaper still online. Nuts.

Again .. glad I roll my own. I like shooting! I usually go twice a month.

Paul .. where are you shooting. I am minutes away from Usery and I shot there a bunch in the bays with a board member who had access but I never tried the public range. Do you have to bring your own target stands. I would prefer to shoot outdoors regardless of the price. Indoor ranges seem to like to save money on lighting and my aging eyes arent happy about it. I dont mind the heat.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

what till your supply of primers runs low!

Ammo doubled with the COVID panic, gas doubled and everything else (except our 401K) did too after the first tuesday after the first monday in November that year....
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Razai wrote: September 15th, 2022, 5:54 pm It is painful, and no matter what is said, it feels intentional. I don’t accept that everything has skyrocketed; I feel everything has been skyrocketed, if that even makes grammatical sense.
Now where did I leave my foil hat..?
On a ranked list of tin foil hat s*** that gets posted on this board, this is down near the bottom. The more people that need the government’s “help” to live, the more they can buy votes with “free” handouts paid for by the schmucks that earn(ed) a living. It’s just one more form of control.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Boriqua wrote: September 15th, 2022, 7:49 pm Paul .. where are you shooting. I am minutes away from Usery and I shot there a bunch in the bays with a board member who had access but I never tried the public range. Do you have to bring your own target stands. I would prefer to shoot outdoors regardless of the price. Indoor ranges seem to like to save money on lighting and my aging eyes arent happy about it. I dont mind the heat.
Ben Avery is where I go mostly, when not shooting out in the desert.

And despite the hate it gets here on the board - I have never had any issues with the RSOs in near twenty years of shooting. They only have a couple rules. At BA you bring your paper targets, they supply the stands. They shoot in a 15 hot / 15 cold alternating for target changes. 7$ gets you 90 minutes which is about 3 "sessions" of 15. It used to be 7$ all day - but they changed it and added an online reservation system. Some people complained but reservations are nice as it beats waiting forever to get a table - and let us be honest, at 7$ all day that is pretty unsustainable these days. 7$ for 90 minutes is still a fraction of what indoor ranges cost.
Last edited by paulgt2164 on September 15th, 2022, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

I just wish they would go back to the old system of pay your money and stay as long as you want.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

TheAccountant wrote: September 15th, 2022, 9:20 pm I just wish they would go back to the old system of pay your money and stay as long as you want.
I can see why it had to change though. I mean 7$ all day isn't really viable I would imagine these days, and if you book two sessions (180 minutes) it is still half the price of only an hour at an indoor range. The best part of the 90 minute sessions is it keeps me from blowing though too much ammo....when it was all day - that was an expensive day. Lol.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

True Shot gun club has some of the best prices. I'm told no need to order on line but I haven't gotten there yet so that's hearsay. Hopefully this coming week.

I am short on 40 and they seem to have the best price.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

paulgt2164 wrote: September 15th, 2022, 9:24 pm
TheAccountant wrote: September 15th, 2022, 9:20 pm I just wish they would go back to the old system of pay your money and stay as long as you want.
I can see why it had to change though. I mean 7$ all day isn't really viable I would imagine these days, and if you book two sessions (180 minutes) it is still half the price of only an hour at an indoor range. The best part of the 90 minute sessions is it keeps me from blowing though too much ammo....when it was all day - that was an expensive day. Lol.
I’m sure they’re making more money. I’m not really sure where it’s all going, but I’ve never seen any government agency have trouble spending money. It’s just not quite long enough. Two hour blocks would be about right. I find myself having to rush to wrap up in one session but if I book two I’m usually walking out early. At least in an indoor range I’m shooting for an hour instead of waiting for humpty dumpty to waddle back and forth from the 200 yard targets every 15 minutes.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

I need to make a trip back to BA. Its been a long time since Ive been there. I do remember disliking the 15min target changes tho. and having to hurry to hump your target all the way out and back with your stuff sitting at the bench unattended. I figured it was just easier to go to the desert a few mins farther drive instead where I was by myself mostly. Times have changed on that.

Shooters world Im not particularly found of but its the closest for me to get in and out fast. Hit it up on the way home from work during the week, Tuesdays are only 10bucks for a lane, I get there at the end of the day its not overly busy typically or its starting to clear out before closing time. Not unusual to stay past an hour with no one saying anything at that time. I typically only need an hour being its easy to get in and out on the regular. Tuesdays are also free rentals which is cool but as with any indoor joint they make you buy their overpriced ammo so IMO make sure you actually want to shoot the thing. Its been a great stress reliever and depending on what I bring to shoot not terribly expensive but ammo costs do add up.

I miss the days you could stop in at walmart on the way to the desert and pickup a few hundred rounds of what you needed for cheap and blow your entire wad that morning and not feel bad about it. :lol: