Boycott Visa for their plans to categorize gun sales

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
xerts1191
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Boycott Visa for their plans to categorize gun sales

Post by xerts1191 »

That makes no phukn sense, you’re telling me when aunt Emma goes and buys gift cards at Cabelas for all the favorite nephews the credit card company is going to categorize that purchase under the same code as a firearm purchase or ammo purchase

Doc

Post by Doc »

TheAccountant wrote: September 14th, 2022, 9:56 am It’s not item level, it’s merchant level. Whether you purchase gift cards from XYZ sporting goods or guns and ammo from XYZ sporting goods it’ll be classified the same way.

You would have to buy the prepaid Visa/Amex/Mastercard cards that cost you a premium and the processor still gets their merchant fees on top of it. I guess if you’re trying to line the pockets of the ones you’re “boycotting” that’s a good idea.
Hmmm. That doesn’t math either. Looks like we should stick to cash and back alley deals.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

xerts1191 wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:05 am That makes no phukn sense, you’re telling me when aunt Emma goes and buys gift cards at Cabelas for all the favorite nephews the credit card company is going to categorize that purchase under the same code as a firearm purchase or ammo purchase
According to the reporting from Reuters, "The code will show where an individual spends money but not what items were purchased."

But you're correct..."That makes no phukn sense"
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

xerts1191 wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:05 am That makes no phukn sense, you’re telling me when aunt Emma goes and buys gift cards at Cabelas for all the favorite nephews the credit card company is going to categorize that purchase under the same code as a firearm purchase or ammo purchase
It’s a MERCHANT category code, not an item category code. Cabela’s MCC is based on their primary business activity, which is likely sporting goods or general merchandise. Anything you buy there will be classified the same way. Go to a local gun store and buy a gun or a pair of your favorite tactical camo cargo shorts and it’ll be classified under the new firearms MCC.

You can see the codes on your credit card statement. Do you see 15 different line items for your trips to Costco when you purchase groceries, a shirt, a TV, a vacuum, etc? No.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Its all good .. So I will be on a new list. IF its local I would just use cash but I do most of my shopping via the net so .. another list it is.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Boriqua wrote: September 14th, 2022, 1:44 pm Its all good .. So I will be on a new list. IF its local I would just use cash but I do most of my shopping via the net so .. another list it is.
aw hell whats another list, pretty sure i'm on a gaggle of them myself, so wtfudge, used to just have a bud order me one at this shop and i'd go in and pay cash, have to see if i can find another shop to do so. also assists in me not being castigated for adding to my already over bearing storage issue. lol
happy hump day smuckettes
Rj
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

Ok, here’s a devils advocate type thought.
Some think, big deal, item isn’t listed so no issue.
However, if I buy a $2000 gun at say Sportsmans. They may have in their database a search engine that allows them to only see things over $1200 ( for instance ). They see that I have 40 of those large ticket purchases.
BATBOUYS are called. They call Sportsmans, and says let me see a list of firearms purchases to this guy. He must be a terrorist.

As a retired IT engineer. Trust me if it’s in a database, they plan on using it. Nobody saves data without reason. And any database the GOV can get their mitts on will be used.
Half Cocked

Post by Half Cocked »

Mike (mrgunsngear) weighs in on the new credit card merchant category for gun stores.

TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

It’s been well documented how good CC companies are at building profiles on their customers, so it’s highly unlikely that this is going to tell them anything new. It’s just something else for both sides to use to create content to generate revenue and fundraise off of.
glock holiday

Post by glock holiday »

Man I luv using the damn CC points and then paying it off before the bill..there goes that bonus..
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I think some of you are going a bit off the deep end with this.

Paypal has a policy that they will cancel your account if it's used to buy guns/gun parts. I think it even states they will seize any positive balance you may have. I pretty much only use my PP Mastercard for ALL my card purchases, I get 4% cash back. I've purchased a TON of gun parts and quite a few guns with it. Even on ebay with my regular PP account. Tons of random gun parts.

Both accounts still up and running.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

I think we are mistaken if we think our online purchases are already not tracked and logged somewhere. This is more then likely one more way to cut the red tape when they actually want to use it against you somehow. I like to use cash too especially local but I do enjoy my fair share of online stuff too. It would be nice if these bozos would go after the root problem instead of tracking what firearms people buy but we all know that's the the root motive to this whole thing is it?
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

It looks like Visa, Mastercard, and Amex are all on board with this change. Boycotting credit cards in general is a good idea (financially for sure) - but I doubt that a sufficient number of gun owners will boycott them to move the needle. I'm all for taking your money away from companies that are anti-gun - heck - I have not bought gear at Dicks since they went woke - I just don't expect Visa / MC / AX to care about our "boycott." I can say for sure that I'll be less likely to pay for a new gun with a card - I'll just bring cash. They'll lose the transaction fees on those purchases.
Half Cocked

Post by Half Cocked »

Maybe gun shops should offer a cash discount to discourage credit card use. This is what I downloaded from the Bud's Gun Shop website:
We offer a cash-discounted price on many of our items. Please review the list below to see which payment types are eligible for the discount.
Payment methods accepted by BudsGunShop.Com are

Money Order (3% Cash Discount when applicable).
Certified Check (3% Cash Discount when applicable).
Personal Checks including online bill payments (3% Cash Discount when applicable). (Orders held for 5 business days for check to clear)
E-Check / ACH (3% Cash Discount when applicable). This will delay your order for 5 business days. Click HERE to learn why. )
Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover Credit Cards (Retail Price). Debit cards may only be run as Credit Cards and therefore a Retail Price.
Up to 3 Months Interest Free thru Credova. Quick and Easy Pre-approval.
90 Day Layaway Plan (no fees for the first 30 days): 20% non-refundable deposit; Available on most firearms. (Retail Price)
RESERVE ORDER (Products marked with RESERVE THIS ITEM are temporarily out of stock but you may proceed to order and receive your item(s) from our next incoming shipment. We only offer this option when we have a firm commitment from our supplier. By placing a Reserve Order order for an item, you are also securing the current advertised price regardless of any future price increases. We cannot guarantee the exact ship date of Reserve Items. However, if your item is still not available after 90 days, and you no longer wish to wait, you may request a full refund. Canceling a Reserve Order within the first 90 days will result in a 10% cancellation fee. Click here for details about our Firearm only layaway plan

If you don't completely understand the cash-discount, you may proceed through checkout until the last page*. On the last page of checkout you can preview the total and the discount or non-discounted* prices. We do not receive your personal information unless you complete your order.

Checks and Money Orders should be mailed to:

BudsGunShop.Com
1105 Industry Road
Lexington, KY 40505

Please verify that your name and order number is included on your payment so that we quickly credit your order.
CANCELLATION AND ORDER CHANGE FEES

For BudsGunShop.com to maintain its goal in providing you with the lowest prices and best customer service, you MAY be charged a 10% Cancellation fee for canceling or substituting products on an order.

Personal Check / E-Check Return Fee (NSF)

A $20 fee will be added to your order in the event your check or ACH payment is rejected by your bank.
Remow2112

Post by Remow2112 »

So, all the folks that go to a gun store for BRCC or other coffee types are now going to be flagged too.