Would you consider this a "good shoot"?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Miker12
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Would you consider this a "good shoot"?

Post by Miker12 »

An argument over a handicapped parking spot at a convenience store in Florida led to a fatal shooting and the man who pulled the trigger won’t be arrested under the state’s “stand your ground” self-defense law, authorities said.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri told reporters during a Friday press conference that Thursday’s shooting death of Markeis McGlockton, a 28-year-old father of three, is “within the bookends of stand your ground and within the bookends of force being justified,” the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Video posted at: https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/stand-you ... e-sheriff/

runner

Re: Would you consider this a "good shoot"?

Post by runner »

Looks like three possible assailants, already assaulted so he felt in danger. I say good shoot.
Quake_Guy

Post by Quake_Guy »

near a 20 year age difference between person instigating physical assault and the shooter. Argument over unlawful use of a handicapped parking spot.

if this was two 20 year old something guys arguing over a bumper sticker, I could see it ending up with the shooter being charged.

Its good to see the law changing. When CCW first started in Texas during the 90s, it was basically law that you had to engage in fisticuffs before using your weapon if the other person didn't have a knife or gun. Only exception was very lopsided levels of physical violence, 3 dudes vs 1 or a woman being attacked by a man.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

I don't consider this a good shoot. I can't say that I wouldn't shove some guy that was angrily yelling and pointing at my wife with the kids in the car. Sure the guy shoved him, but he backed away - he didn't continue with a beatdown like when an MMA fighter knocks down an opponent and goes in for the kill. I'd like to see the shooter charged with manslaughter at the least.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Conflicted on this one. He was assaulted and thrown to the ground part of me says take him out before he comes back for more as you may not have time. He was on the ground with the guy backing away says maybe he should get charged.

In the end the shoot the effer wins as I am tired of thugs laying their hands on people and maybe this will send a message to not touch or push another person. The short distance he was from his attacker also makes me ok with it but I would tell him he is damn lucky that guy was not farther away.
Last edited by 338lapua on July 23rd, 2018, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tunnug

Post by tunnug »

I agree with Jack D, you shoot after being pushed, with the guy walking away, is a non issue, he was not standing his ground, he shot out of anger.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I have to agree with Jack Dupp as well. I am a handicap parking user. I have a heart condition and nearly anyone can kick my ass rather easily. I can see myself in the shooters shoes. But while I probably would have pulled and presented as well,...I think he fired too early and without sufficient justification. I did not see the dead man take a further step. The altercation appeared over before the shooter fired.
What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

Yes, its a great one shot fired shoot.

Respect the elders.
thom

Post by thom »

I agree with 338lapua. Don't lay your hands on another.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

Good shoot.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Between the time he was knocked down and fired it doesn't appear he had much time to notice the attacker "might" have been backing away. He had just been blindsided and had no way to know whether or not the attacker was going to continue. Also no way to know if the second man exiting the store was another assailant or just some passerby. Plus the attacker's girl friend had also just exited her vehicle...to possibly join in monkey stomping him while on ground.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Impossible to determine, imo.

Did the older guy on the ground have a medical condition that would have him in fear for his life? Could the vision of the older guy on the ground been affected by the push to the ground, to the point that he couldn't realize whether another attack was coming again, or not. Or that the assailant was backing off? The guy seemed to stay on the ground a long time. A person of reasonable health would have gotten up quickly, or at least attempted to do so, in my opinion.

Was the assailant following up his physical attack with verbal threats to kick the old guys head in, or threatening to kill him or talking to his wife like that?

With no medical history of the older guy, or audio in the video, impossible to determine a good, or bad shoot, imo.
Last edited by shooter444 on July 23rd, 2018, 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Disparity in force and disparity in numbers come into play. Blows to the head while down is deadly force period. If we have to wonder was the guy backing off reloading or redeploying to kick I'm certainly not going to apply that to the guy on the ground to say he HAS TO WAIT TO SHOOT, and he has no duty to take a boot to the head before shooting. These few 10ths of a second is where justification is decided. You also dont get to cry about the guy shooting you too soon after putting him on the ground and circling or advancing. The second you realized you brought a foot to a gunfight and you ain't Bruce Lee is probably a little too late to say just kidding let me help you up.

Good shoot. Might have gone a different way. Being a crotchety loud bastard isnt a crime or reason to be touched.

This said I might have waited an extra second might not have. The guy who initiated violence created this situation. He escalated a phuck you a**hole into an unjustified assault. You dont get/have to attack the guy to shut him up. A simple arm in front of him or stepping between his wife would have been sufficient as would just leaving. If the older guy would have just ignored the stupid parking issue he wouldnt have started down the road that led to having to kill a guy while his kids and family looked on. Still screaming isnt a justification for using actual hands on physical force. Ever.

Lots of blame to go around as is usual for these incidents that escalate.
Last edited by Crippledtrigger on July 22nd, 2018, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

And that is exactly why I have a million dollar liability umbrella policy.
airedalex2
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by airedalex2 »

Good shoot. I agree with s444 and ctrigger. Keep your hands off of other people. Hold your temper in check even with a loudmouth. I am in my 60’s . I am in pretty good shape, but I have had 3 surgeries in the last few years that have left me weaker than I was 15-20 yrs ago. Also, knee and shoulder issues that doctor’s are watching for now. Street fighting is not an option anymore. Especially with someone 20 years younger.