Buying used via FFL transfer

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
bldr60
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Buying used via FFL transfer

Post by bldr60 »

Suck My Glock wrote: June 19th, 2022, 8:53 am I am normally in the same camp as the other commenters here, and still am.

But I want to thank pneuby for having a thick skin and an adult attitude and stepping forward to try to not only give us his perspective but also to keep it civil and friendly. We should all do that.
I'll second this post.

kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Really, the only way to hopefully not get a stolen gun is buying from a pawn shop. They have to run theirs every time one comes in, even if it's been in before. Now, as others have said, CCW's can be revoked and they'd never know it was until it expired. So, good luck out there, I'll buy and sell as I friggin' please.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Winmagbill

Post by Winmagbill »

When I posted the question it wasn’t to single anyone out. After watching the video I can understand a seller going that way. As a buyer it really doesn’t offer a solid benefit. Bottom line; if it’s your gun I believe you can sell it any way you want. As a buyer that’s my issue to deal with. I’m just thankful I still have the choice and I’m not forced into FFL transfers like CA and having to pay outrageous fees to dealers who were given a monopoly on this issue.

On a side note I don’t have any carry gun that were not bought New at a FFL. Been following that policy ever since the incident on the old board when a CCW holder got caught with a stolen gun. Don’t need the drama in my life just to save a few bucks.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

pneuby wrote: June 19th, 2022, 8:15 am Wow, it appears my recent postings have again raised up a sore subject. Believe me, I understand it.
So, I am about to 'take one for the team' here by way of explanation. I will keep it relatively brief.
Certainly, there was a bit more to the story, which at this time I'll keep personal so far as the board posting goes.

I sold a gun to Joe-Bloe on-the-street. Had valid Az D/L. Turns out that Joe was a felon, and said gat was recovered surrounding some (unknown) bad ju-ju. Local po-po engaged our favorite Feds to trace it. Those favorite Feds invited me to a voluntary meeting for some explanatory, and exploratory, questioning. Let's just say that 90mins later, I had quite an education on their perspective. I also voluntarily signed some documents you may have heard about elsewhere.

As to the buyer having a permit, the senior agent pointed out to me it only means said buyer passed a background check ONCE, in the past. (Yeah, yeah, I know....permit holders don't get b/c'ed again at each sale...but I wasn't about to be a smartass and point that out.). Suffice it to say, anything I sell going forward MUST be done VIA AN FFL.

At least at this time, I won't be answering any follow-up questions in the post.
How did they trace the gun back to you, did you buy it through an FFL.....did Mr. Bloe ask you for and record your personal information?
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Yes, I had bought it through an FFL, thus the traceability. No, Herr Bloe didn't ask for BOS, LOL.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Suck My Glock wrote: June 19th, 2022, 8:53 am I am normally in the same camp as the other commenters here, and still am.

But I want to thank pneuby for having a thick skin and an adult attitude and stepping forward to try to not only give us his perspective but also to keep it civil and friendly. We should all do that.
Also it sounds like he was forced to sign a notice of unlawful dealing in firearms. If that's the case, he essentially has to use an FFL or face real problems.
brandonsmash

Post by brandonsmash »

I'll pipe up.

I'm of the opinion that the private and lawful sale of goods should absolutely and always remain the business of private parties. I'm not super interested in any other party -- particularly one that has a three-letter acronym -- having any knowledge of what I own or how I conduct my own affairs.

That said, I'm a contractor. A large part of my worksite hygiene involves CYA. When I'm building to engineering drawings, unless I have explicit dispensation otherwise I will build *exactly* to drawings even if the final product is not what the client intended. When I work on or modify an existing structure, from a certain standpoint I "own" that structure and I will go out of my way to make sure that nobody else can non-obviously then change my construction or the substructure and blame any consequent problems on me.

If I want to buy a firearm and someone insists on an FFL because they're covering their own ass, well, that's their prerogative to do so and I won't hold it against them. If I elect to not use an FFL (either because of cost or personal reasons, well, that's also my own choice and nobody is forcing me to purchase anything from anybody.

I can sure respect a good CYA and wouldn't hold that action against someone.