Changing AR15 Purchase Age to 21

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Quake_Guy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Changing AR15 Purchase Age to 21

Post by Quake_Guy »

Your typical mass shooter is so maladjusted and socially awkward that even criminals don't want to deal with him. He can function well enough to go to the dealer and fill out a 4473, but he is not going to go all Jason Borne and procure one off the streets if the guns are outlawed.

I have no problem making the age the same for semiauto rifles and handguns. If anything, young people are better off starting with a bolt action so they can learn some markmanship. Plus at least at 21, you have a track record for any background check. At 18, all crimes committed under the age of 18 are mostly buried.

If anything in trade, drinking age should be lowered to 19, just old enough so they are out of high school. They are drinking illegally anyway, enforcement is just a fundraiser for the cops and lawyers. Should be more worried about chasing tail than guns at that age anyway.

And as far as the military thing, I would be totally supportive of keeping our serivcemembers under the age of 21 out of combat zones unless the United States is directly threatened. Make it less likely for leaders to throw their lives away on foreign boondoggles.

knockonit

Post by knockonit »

wow, just wow
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I'm curious of all of those opposed to a 21+ age requirement for AR type rifles; where is your outrage and loud vocal opposition for the age requirement for the purchase of handguns/frames/receivers?

Of all the various boards I visit multiple times per day, there isn't a single thread about fighting the age requirement for pistols...why not?

Did any of you follow the Natalia Marshall v ATF/DOJ case from last year?
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I am opposed to background checks. They have only been around since -what? 1985? How did the Republic manage to survive for over 200 years without background checks? The purpose of the "Brady Law" was to reduce crime. As Dr. Phil says, "How's that working for you?"
I am opposed to the age 21 requirement for handguns. Why is there a difference? It used to be 18 for both handguns and long guns. Then the Democrats said that most crimes were committed with handguns, because they were easily concealable. When people like me said "They will just substitute rifles," the Democrats said "No they won't; rifles are too bulky for crime." So, how's that working for you?
I am opposed to the Federal Firearms Act of 1934. That law came about as a reaction to the criminal gang wars that arose as an unintended consequence of Prohibition. We were assured that if we banned the Thompson Submachine Gun -- the "weapon of choice" of gangs, then gang warfare would go away. So, how's that working for you?
I am old enough to remember buying guns by mail (from Shotgun News) and the United States Post Office would deliver them to the house. Now they have a precedent for prohibiting online sales of ammunition. The Gun Control Act of 1968 (before they learned to say Gun "Safety") was supposed to stop political violence: political assassinations and terrorism. So, how's that working for you?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

smithers599 wrote: June 10th, 2022, 5:02 pm I am opposed to background checks. They have only been around since -what? 1985? How did the Republic manage to survive for over 200 years without background checks? The purpose of the "Brady Law" was to reduce crime. As Dr. Phil says, "How's that working for you?"
I am opposed to the age 21 requirement for handguns. Why is there a difference? It used to be 18 for both handguns and long guns. Then the Democrats said that most crimes were committed with handguns, because they were easily concealable. When people like me said "They will just substitute rifles," the Democrats said "No they won't; rifles are too bulky for crime." So, how's that working for you?
I am opposed to the Federal Firearms Act of 1934. That law came about as a reaction to the criminal gang wars that arose as an unintended consequence of Prohibition. We were assured that if we banned the Thompson Submachine Gun -- the "weapon of choice" of gangs, then gang warfare would go away. So, how's that working for you?
I am old enough to remember buying guns by mail (from Shotgun News) and the United States Post Office would deliver them to the house. Now they have a precedent for prohibiting online sales of ammunition. The Gun Control Act of 1968 (before they learned to say Gun "Safety") was supposed to stop political violence: political assassinations and terrorism. So, how's that working for you?
As I've said many times...it's almost as if criminals don't follow the laws....odd.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Quake_Guy wrote: June 10th, 2022, 2:01 pm I have no problem making the age the same for semiauto rifles and handguns. If anything, young people are better off starting with a bolt action so they can learn some markmanship.
This gun control is only going to continue to ratchet up further and further until they come for all of the guns if people have that attitude. These gun grabbers want them ALL, and they're taking them away incrementally. As soon someone uses a scoped bolt action to go around killing people, they'll call them sniper rifles and want those gone as well. You have to draw a line in the sand.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Funny how a few people in this thread fail to see the "death by a thousand cuts" that has been going on since the 30s.

The "that ain't so bads" and "if that is all they want, could be worsers" are the death of the 2A because you don't see the big picture.

It is just as bad as the "other" side who says "no one is taking your guns" when they fail to realize by throwing more and more barriers to ownership and use till it becomes financially or procedurally untenable is the same thing as "taking the guns." If I can't afford to buy or keep, and I can't afford ammo - you have removed the ability of the firearm to be a firearm - and "yer tooks mah gunz." Just because someone didn't kick in the door and take the gun - doesn't mean that someone hasn't "taken" the gun. If I have a car in the driveway, and you come and steal the wheels off it -and I can't get new ones - it is no long a car, it is now hillbilly lawn art. It is just amazing to me how daft both sides of the "issue" are..
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

I understand why people think that a simple age limit is “ok” and while for a split second you can agree it’s not “that” bad compared to other options that could happen. You have to remember none of this stuff is the root problem. It won’t solve anything but take one more right away from law abiding citizens. No one here wants to give anything because they all understand that an inch leads to a mile and slowly but surely we loose more rights then we ever will gain back.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Agreed - wow, just wow

IMO - Fear is why most of those who agree with giving a little or a concession on this issue. They believe that just give them this and they will leave us alone ... Fear.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

cbdaa653017b8316.jpeg
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Quake_Guy wrote: June 10th, 2022, 2:01 pm Your typical mass shooter is so maladjusted and socially awkward that even criminals don't want to deal with him. He can function well enough to go to the dealer and fill out a 4473, but he is not going to go all Jason Borne and procure one off the streets if the guns are outlawed.

I have no problem making the age the same for semiauto rifles and handguns. If anything, young people are better off starting with a bolt action so they can learn some markmanship. Plus at least at 21, you have a track record for any background check. At 18, all crimes committed under the age of 18 are mostly buried.

If anything in trade, drinking age should be lowered to 19, just old enough so they are out of high school. They are drinking illegally anyway, enforcement is just a fundraiser for the cops and lawyers. Should be more worried about chasing tail than guns at that age anyway.

And as far as the military thing, I would be totally supportive of keeping our serivcemembers under the age of 21 out of combat zones unless the United States is directly threatened. Make it less likely for leaders to throw their lives away on foreign boondoggles.
Ah, nice to hear from the FUDDs on this, we knew they're here. Bet you're a lifetime member of the NRA as well, with no regard to any other org., especially something like AZCDL. I'd almost bet money you came from somewhere else, am I right?

Either you're woefully ignorant, or, just plain stupid if you don't realize that this isn't the end of what they'll do if they're allowed to get something like this in law. Should we also curtail the use of the internet to those of drinking age? That'd be a great idea, no stupid nonsense from children, all we'd have to see and hear is nonsense from adults, like the above post.

Clyde
87jeep

Post by 87jeep »

Stupid is everywhere! Just got off the Marlin forum site and about a 1/4 of them think a restriction on AR's is good. Iam sure they will turn in their levers, for the children in due time.

Carry on
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Fudd
/fədd/

noun

1. Like Elmer: Slow, dumb, happily clueless.

2. Owns firearms commonly used for hunting.

3. Knows jackshit about the Constitution of the United States of America.

4. Believes the Second Amendment was written so he could own a shotgun and a bolt-action deer rifle.

5. Has no interest in other types of firearms, and may condemn, and even help ban them.

See: moron, useful idiot, target of scorn, cuck.
Bob the Fudd is helping ban AR-15's because he says they aren't needed for hunting.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Why do FUDDs have to infiltrate shooting sites, why can't they just form knitting circles like the others who have surrendered their "toxic masculinity"?
fudd.jpg
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Quake_Guy wrote: June 10th, 2022, 2:01 pm Your typical mass shooter is so maladjusted and socially awkward that even criminals don't want to deal with him. He can function well enough to go to the dealer and fill out a 4473, but he is not going to go all Jason Borne and procure one off the streets if the guns are outlawed.
You honestly believe that? Lol. And sorry, when does buying a gun "off the streets" require some "Jason Bourne" style spycraft? Pretty sure anyone with 3/10ths a working brain could buy a gun without going through a background check these days - by your logic all those felon gang members killing each other in places like Chicago and LA must be ex-CIA or something. Also, criminals don't think "Man, this kid weird - I ain't gonna sell him this gun" - that is hilarious.

Evil isn't going to be like "I can't pass a 4473 so my plans of violence are now null and impossible, guess I am just going to have to return to being a normal person now. Guess I should meet a nice girl, settle down, have kids, watch the brady bunch, and help my neighbors with home improvement projects since I can't be evil and kill a bunch of people. Drat! "
Quake_Guy wrote: June 10th, 2022, 2:01 pm I have no problem making the age the same for semiauto rifles and handguns. If anything, young people are better off starting with a bolt action so they can learn some markmanship. Plus at least at 21, you have a track record for any background check. At 18, all crimes committed under the age of 18 are mostly buried.
This actually makes zero sense what-so-ever. There are tons of kids who learnt marksmanship from firearms that aren't bolt action. Marksmanship has nothing to do with type of firearm. If you have someone who can't focus enough to shoot a semi-auto properly, they aren't going to shoot a bolt gun well either.You are blaming the firearm for a person problem, just like the people blaming the gun for shooting people. Lol.
Quake_Guy wrote: June 10th, 2022, 2:01 pm If anything in trade, drinking age should be lowered to 19, just old enough so they are out of high school. They are drinking illegally anyway, enforcement is just a fundraiser for the cops and lawyers. Should be more worried about chasing tail than guns at that age anyway.
There should be nothing in trade, why do we have to "trade" our rights? What kind of f*cked up logic is that? While you are at it - lets have a little less freedom of speech, but lets lower the age someone can buy cigarettes. Totally a good trade off - we get arrested and Epstein'd if we talk bad about the government - but on every street corner there are 13 year olds puffin' on Marlboro reds. Genius! "Why yes, Officer - I will gladly allow you to render my guilt without due process in exchange for getting to have a beer a bit sooner!" See how absolutely retarded that logic sounds?

And yes, lets exchange a right for even younger people abusing alcohol. Makes perfect sense (not.) "Sorry kid, your too young to own an AR that will sit in a closet or safe 99.9% of it's life - but here - have a case of whiskey for you an all your 19 year old friends." Give 1000 19 years old free reign on alcohol, and then give 1000 19 year old people a rifle. Let see which causes more damage. Most 21 year old kids these days can't act responsibly when drinking - what makes you think a 19 year old would be more responsible with alcohol then a rifle? Brilliant logic there. Hate to tell you - many under 18 year olds have ARs. Hell, I was given one when I was 13.

And I hate to tell you - but if kids these days were chasing guns more than "tail" I bet the unplanned pregnancy and STD rates would plummet and mental health of them would improve 100%. Implying that chasing "tail" is any better than some young person investing time in a hobby that builds patience, process, concentration, mechanical aptitude, and responsibility is hilarious. "Hey little Timmy, forget having a rewarding firearms hobby, you should be running around town sticking your stump in every skank you can find - cause it is totally worth bragging about 20 years later as a last ditch effort to prove you have made something of your life to strangers at the bar....." Not.
Quake_Guy wrote: June 10th, 2022, 2:01 pm And as far as the military thing, I would be totally supportive of keeping our serivcemembers under the age of 21 out of combat zones unless the United States is directly threatened. Make it less likely for leaders to throw their lives away on foreign boondoggles.
Define "directly threatened" - if something ever got put to law where 18 -20 year old people wouldn't be in combat unless the US was under direct threat - then the politicians would just say every mouse farting on another continent was a direct threat.

You post is a stunning example of failed logic, and not understanding the concept of "rights" and apparently you have no clue to how politicians and the government work. I never thought I would see someone use fewer brain cells than Kenpo and OldFurryDog arguing about who is the better veteran - and then you posted that dumpster fire.
Last edited by paulgt2164 on June 11th, 2022, 5:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.