Changing AR15 Purchase Age to 21

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
samnev
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Changing AR15 Purchase Age to 21

Post by samnev »

I'm seeing some of the Republican pol's coming out in favor of raising age to purchase AR15 age to 21 as well as some folks at a gun show in TX including the guy who has run the show for many years. What say you?
Last edited by samnev on June 8th, 2022, 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

MTURBO

Re: Tasing AR15 Purchase Age to 21

Post by MTURBO »

I say hell no!
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Changing AR15 Purchase Age to 21

Post by XJThrottle »

Uh, how about no.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I'm against any and all gun laws.

However,...

In the grand scheme of all the schit they want to throw at us,...if that is the extent of what occurs,...it ain't nearly as bad as any of the other infringements. If I absolutely had to choose which of the current proposed crap sandwiches we had to bite into,...that would be the least wretched turd lunch.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Would it reduce or mitigate school shootings or mass shootings in any way? Reduce the number of occurrences? Reduce the body count/morbidity count?
No.
Would it infringe on people's rights? Yes. It might only be a "little" infringement, but the word "fringe" means "around the edges." "Shall not be infringed" means more than "completely banned"; it means "Don't even nibble around the edges, not even a little bit."
So, no. Actually, hell no.
87jeep

Post by 87jeep »

Give them an inch...... They will take a mile.
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

I think most people on this board oppose that measure as it does absolutely nothing but infringe on rights. I have a hard time upping the age for any guns just like I did for tobacco. I don't smoke or drink but I don't think it's right to allow our 18 year old men and women to go to war but can't buy a pack of cigs, a beer or a gun.

With that being said I can see this going through with little to no opposition as it is the least "harmless" law being presented. It does little to nothing to stop any kind of shooting but I think it's one that will get massive general public support.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Suck My Glock wrote: June 8th, 2022, 9:13 am I'm against any and all gun laws.

However,...

No, there is no "howevers" or "buts."

That mentality is why we have the infringements we currently have. Orgs like the NRA and the politicians sell us out with "howevers" and "buts" and it is an embarrassment.

We let 16 year olds pilot 4000lb+ road missiles down the I17 at 85 MPH with basically no training, a few feet from others - yet 18 year old Sally can't own an AR that will sit in a safe or closet 99% of it's life cause so many of you allow the "whatevers" and "buts" to sound reasonable.

It is ok though - cause if that 16 year old plows into another driver and people die - it is called an "accident" and not "negligence" or "car violence" yet if .000001% of ARs produced is used to kill some people it is "Gun Violence" and the human / society part of it is ignored. Why you ask?

Cause it is really easy to say :

A troubled kid, in a broken home, shunned by society, who's well known issues were ignored by those who could change it - went on to kill 19 people. However, it is easier to say it is the guns fault, and it is "gun violence" cause that fits the agenda.

A troubled kid, in a broken home, shunned by society, who's well known issues were ignored by those who could change it - went on to kill 19 people. But, society doesn't want to take ownership cause we are all "society" and it is human nature to not want to take blame.

And that is when people start to think "I support the 2nd A.......but...." and "I am all for gun ownership......however......"

Can't own a rifle till 21? However, , it is completely ok for 18 year old little Timmy can go die for a politician's pocket book in some third world s***-hole no problem, but that is deemed as heroic because a large portion of the population has been brainwashed into thinking the government gives two-craps about them past a voting poll.

You take those "howevers" and "buts" and insert them into other things - and it highlights how stupid it is, and that just drives it home how stupid it is to use those words in anything that is our "right."
Limper

Post by Limper »

When someone suggests some "common sense gun reforms" I like to ask how they feel about perhaps some "common sense" reforms to some of the other outdated amendments that might need some tuning. Like perhaps the 3rd. It would be helpful to the government if maybe once a year for two weeks you had to move out of your residence so a squad-platoon element could be quartered there for some diverse urban combat training. For rural areas the wide open spaces would be conducive for armored elements to train on. This would save the government valuable resources in these tight budgetary times, and be a concrete and visible way for citizens to show their patriotism. You are a patriot, right?

When they tell me that's stupid. I say I agree with them 100%.

As far as the age to buy a firearm. If you are old enough to use one in the service to your country. You are old enough to buy one for yourself.
samnev

Post by samnev »

Suck My Glock wrote: June 8th, 2022, 9:13 am I'm against any and all gun laws.

However,...

In the grand scheme of all the schit they want to throw at us,...if that is the extent of what occurs,...it ain't nearly as bad as any of the other infringements. If I absolutely had to choose which of the current proposed crap sandwiches we had to bite into,...that would be the least wretched turd lunch.
The replies are exactly what I expected and agree with them. The thing that's really troublesome to me is Mitch Mc Connell has, irc, come out in favor of raising the age to 21.
So I have to agree with Suck My Glock's post. I just think this time we are going to get shafted once again. :angry-cussingblack:
samnev

Post by samnev »

A post from a AZ Gun Owners site which I think is particularly relevant.

I think Greg Abbott said it best:
"Ever since Texas has been a state, an 18-year-old has been able to buy a long gun. It’s only in the last decade or two when we had school shootings... So for a century and a half, 18-year-olds could buy rifles and we didn’t have school shootings, but we do now. Maybe we’re focusing our attention on the wrong thing".
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

The overwhelming majority of mass shooters of the past 10 years that have used an AR-15 have been well over 21 years of age....it's almost as if laws don't stop criminals.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

QuietM4 wrote: June 8th, 2022, 3:42 pm ....it's almost as if laws don't stop criminals.
well thank God we have "gun free zones"... oh wait....

nevermind. :roll:
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

Texas is 21 for handguns? Some places are that way no ffl will sell to 18yrs old but you can private. So they want 21 for ar, ya think their 21 yr. old friend who scores beer will grab some ars for you if you throw in a 12 pack for him. They are so desperate to do sumpin that will make no change to body count.
Az desert rat 1

Post by Az desert rat 1 »

Changing the age will not accomplish anything. A Mini14 with a high cap mag will do the same damage. Chane the laws. If a crime is committed with a firearm impose a mandatory 20 years or more, without parole, for using a firearm to commit a crime. Then add on the time for the crime. A firearm didn't decide to commit the act. The user did. The firearm was just a tool.